Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft prospects
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JustPlainNasty


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 7099
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Draft prospects Reply with quote

I don't have a mock for you guys but I'll tell you the top two players I'd like us to consider for next years draft so you can keep an eye on them.

If we go (7-9)
David Yankey- OG/OT Stanford- 6'5" 313- This guy is just plain nasty. Very aggressive finishes through plays, has good size and very good strength. He would be capable of playing tackle easily, but he is a 10 year All Pro at Guard in the making. He is bigger and more powerful than DeCastro for comparison. His mobility is good not great but he sustains well and has good feet and hands. I do feel he is a Top 15 prospect.

If we go (9-7)
Xavier Su'a Filo -OG- UCLA- 6'3 304- I love this guy's mobility and nastiness. He may not be as powerful as Yankey but he is more athletic. He has played LT as well and could do so if needed but he is a great pulling guard with nastiness that finishes and eliminates his competition.

In my opinion Ramon Foster is the type of guy we want as a reserve, he makes our team better there. Starting him and then backing him up with sub par talent screams liability for this roster.

The second area of primary concern is corner and perhaps Free Safety.
It's early I know but this is what I do.
_________________
Dcash4 wrote:


...you have a forum resume?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 5069
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 of the last 10 top 2 draft picks have been spent along the O/D lines. Another pick was Bell, who was to improve the run game. That leaves just Jones and Worilds.

The team needs play makers for the future. Ike Taylor, Larry Foote, Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu (rather the team may need another young safety), and Heath Miller all need replacing as they get up in age. Another WR may be nice, as well. Draft needs for me are CB, TE, S (pending on Golden/Thomas), ILB (a few young guys, but nothing sure) and WR. Those are draft needs I see.

TE and CB stand out the most. It could also help save cap space, as those are two of the highest charges on the team. I would look to address OT before OG, as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65461
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaHa Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama

I think Clark could be gone after this season and the Steelers will have a huge void at FS when tht happens.

There are also a lot of good cb prospects in next years draft:

1. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
2. Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
3. Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
4. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
5. Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
6. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU

All of these guys could go round 1.

I think James Hurst, OT, North Carolina or another OT could be an option if Adams doesn't lock down the LT position.

Lastly, they could always go CJ Mosley, ILB, Alabama or AJ Johnson ILB, Tennessee also if Foote struggles or retires and they don't think Vince Williams is ready to start in 2014.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
treat88


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 6428
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love to add Khalil Mack or Anthony Barr.
_________________



"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65461
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
Love to add Khalil Mack or Anthony Barr.


OLB?? Not sure if serious... Confused
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JustPlainNasty


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 7099
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sharing with you who is talented enough for where I expect us to draft. Most of them aren't and similar talent could be found later at those positions.

I do agree TE is also of interest to me and believe a good option could be had in the 2nd round.

Just because we drafted Olineman doesnt mean we've done a great job or should stop.

We have no depth and 3 of our starters are questionable at best. I have a hard time including Gibert in any discussion about the future of our Oline as I was baffled by the pick when we made it.
_________________
Dcash4 wrote:


...you have a forum resume?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JustPlainNasty


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 7099
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Hurst? Based off of junior tape, I don't see him even worthy of drafting or at least til late. Carolina pre-hype.
_________________
Dcash4 wrote:


...you have a forum resume?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65461
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
I was sharing with you who is talented enough for where I expect us to draft. Most of them aren't and similar talent could be found later at those positions.

I do agree TE is also of interest to me and believe a good option could be had in the 2nd round.

Just because we drafted Olineman doesnt mean we've done a great job or should stop.

We have no depth and 3 of our starters are questionable at best. I have a hard time including Gibert in any discussion about the future of our Oline as I was baffled by the pick when we made it.
I'd say if Gilbert and/or Adams struggle a lot at OT this year, the team should consider taking a LT prospect in round 1, because I believe the team doesn't have a LT on the Roster- it has 3 RTs. Then, the steelers should draft an interior lineman for better depth and develop him as a possible future starter in the mid rounds(3-5).
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 5069
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of something, but it's amazing how much of the Steelers roster were either drafted or UDFA's they signed.

Ryan Clark is the only starter on the team right now who wasn't initially a Steeler as a draft pick or rookie. Suisham, too, if you count him. By my count, only 12 guys did not start their careers with the team. 41 players on the 53 man roster and 21 starters were drafted or signed initially as UDFA's. That's pretty amazing. If the team makes the playoffs, I hope it silences the people calling for Colbert or Tomlin's head.

Quote:

Just because we drafted Olineman doesnt mean we've done a great job or should stop.


At a certain point, other areas of the team need focus, too. Right now, if this team has an issue, it's a lack of difference makers. Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Timmons and Woodley right now are the only guys I consider true game breakers. Those are the ones teams need to scheme around right now. I only see 1-3 other guys who may fit that mold. Unless JJ Watt or a franchise LT is sitting there, I think they have to invest in other areas.

I take any preseason prospect rankings with a huge grain of salt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65461
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
I just thought of something, but it's amazing how much of the Steelers roster were either drafted or UDFA's they signed.

Ryan Clark is the only starter on the team right now who wasn't initially a Steeler as a draft pick or rookie. Suisham, too, if you count him. By my count, only 12 guys did not start their careers with the team. 41 players on the 53 man roster and 21 starters were drafted or signed initially as UDFA's. That's pretty amazing. If the team makes the playoffs, I hope it silences the people calling for Colbert or Tomlin's head.

Quote:

Just because we drafted Olineman doesnt mean we've done a great job or should stop.


At a certain point, other areas of the team need focus, too. Right now, if this team has an issue, it's a lack of difference makers. Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Timmons and Woodley right now are the only guys I consider true game breakers. Those are the ones teams need to scheme around right now. I only see 1-3 other guys who may fit that mold. Unless JJ Watt or a franchise LT is sitting there, I think they have to invest in other areas.

I take any preseason prospect rankings with a huge grain of salt.
Id say every other team in the nfl only has 4 or 5 guys teams have to scheme for also. The Bengals and Ravens only have that many, and the Browns don't even have that many.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 8286
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
I was sharing with you who is talented enough for where I expect us to draft. Most of them aren't and similar talent could be found later at those positions.

I do agree TE is also of interest to me and believe a good option could be had in the 2nd round.

Just because we drafted Olineman doesnt mean we've done a great job or should stop.

We have no depth and 3 of our starters are questionable at best. I have a hard time including Gibert in any discussion about the future of our Oline as I was baffled by the pick when we made it.
I'd say if Gilbert and/or Adams struggle a lot at OT this year, the team should consider taking a LT prospect in round 1, because I believe the team doesn't have a LT on the Roster- it has 3 RTs. Then, the steelers should draft an interior lineman for better depth and develop him as a possible future starter in the mid rounds(3-5).


I think it will be between OT and WR. Sanders is playing for a contract. He will get paid more than the Steelers are willing to give.

Antonio Tiny Richardson T Tenn
Allen Robinson WR PSU
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 25108
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
I think it will be between OT and WR. Sanders is playing for a



We've done just fine not going WR higher than 3rd since Holmes so I don't see any way we change that.
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65461
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
jebrick wrote:
I think it will be between OT and WR. Sanders is playing for a



We've done just fine not going WR higher than 3rd since Holmes so I don't see any way we change that.
I also think Sanders wont warrant a contact bigger than what brown is getting and he'll be retained. The Steelers are going to be mostly out of salary cap he'll next year and will be able to sign Sanders and other UfA's the team wants to keep.

If they take a wr, it will be another mid or late round guy. The Wrs are young and look like they'll be productive. You can't say the same about the young OTs, Cbs (beyond Allen & Taylor) and a FS (should CLark retire)
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65461
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
I was sharing with you who is talented enough for where I expect us to draft. Most of them aren't and similar talent could be found later at those positions.

I do agree TE is also of interest to me and believe a good option could be had in the 2nd round.

Just because we drafted Olineman doesnt mean we've done a great job or should stop.

We have no depth and 3 of our starters are questionable at best. I have a hard time including Gibert in any discussion about the future of our Oline as I was baffled by the pick when we made it.
I'd say if Gilbert and/or Adams struggle a lot at OT this year, the team should consider taking a LT prospect in round 1, because I believe the team doesn't have a LT on the Roster- it has 3 RTs. Then, the steelers should draft an interior lineman for better depth and develop him as a possible future starter in the mid rounds(3-5).


I think it will be between OT and WR. Sanders is playing for a contract. He will get paid more than the Steelers are willing to give.

Antonio Tiny Richardson T Tenn
Allen Robinson WR PSU
You mean:

Richardson-round 1
Robinson- round 2

I could definitely see that Cool. It would be a solid first two rounds. Then, come back round 3 and take a interior off. lineman, cb, FS, DL or Ilb.

The team needs more depth. Particularly when Kiesel & CLark retire at DL and FS, at NOW at Interior OL and CB
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50467
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
jebrick wrote:
I think it will be between OT and WR. Sanders is playing for a



We've done just fine not going WR higher than 3rd since Holmes so I don't see any way we change that.


We have gotten good weapons...not great ones.

I agree WR very likely wont be the pick, but if we had a chance at a quality big target (WR or TE) or just a great all around value pick at WR where we are, I wouldnt be against and wouldnt be shocked to see it. In an offensive league, the more weapons, the better.

I dont know the draft classes incredibly well yet, but if I had to guess, I would say that OT or DB (S or CB) will be the first round pick, or at the very least our top two needs.

Too hard to say anything at this point.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group