Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titans
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Titans Reply with quote

Now that the hand-wringing over the cut downs is over, I figured a look ahead is in order.

The Steelers are 4-2 in the Roethlisberger era against the Titans. They are 4-0 at home.

I can't say I've watched them this preseason, but Locker has been perfectly mediocre statistically. 6.9 YPA despite a high completion percentage, and 1TD to no INT's. Locker has never faced the Steelers defense/Lebeau. For those who don't know, rookie QB's (I know he obviously aint a rookie) are 2-17 against the Steelers. I can't recall many QB's giving him issues in the first meeting. Veterans seem to do the best (Hasselbeck last year).

Locker was sacked 5 times this preseason, or once every 10 or so drop backs. Warmack had some issues in pass protection, but also sprang some holes on the ground.

They have a group of WR's with a lot of size. Britt (6'3), Washington (6'1), and Hunter (6'4), Williams (6'1). Wright is the only smurf at 5'10. Their leading WR this pre-season was a guy who has been on their practice squad for a few years, Michael Preston. He stands at 6'5. Seems to be a mediocre athlete, but I'm basing that off Pro Day results. While the group has some underachievers and Locker throwing the ball, I'm already worried about Gay. Guys with size (or speed, for that matter) give him fits, as we saw this preseason. I'm expecting him to give up at least one TD.

Their DL is the definition of mediocrity. 1st round disappoint Morgan, Wimbley, Sammie Hill and Jurell Casey. Morgan and Casey did combine for 4.5 sacks this preseason, though. The secondary doesn't look much better. Pollard, Griffin and McCourty are the only names back there. Pollard is familiar, and a liability in pass coverage. Griffin and McCourty disappointed last year despite 8 INT's between them. There is no depth. Suspect LB's.

They ran effectively on the Steelers last year and had some success throwing. Britt gave Taylor issues when he was going through his early season issues. The defense doesn't look much different, so if the offense pulls their collective heads out of their asses, they should move the ball effectively.

I think this game ends up a bit more high scoring than most people think. The Titans offense has weapons. If Locker doesn't suck completely, I can see them exploiting the Steelers weaknesses. At home, though, I have to think Pittsburgh gets it done.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titans are horrible, especially Locker they'll be lucky to win 5 games. I definitely think the steelers should win the game.

Contain Chris Johnson and they win

24-13 Steelers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern for this game is this. The team comes out trying to run the ball on a suspect Titans defense to establish an identity. Careless mistakes make the game close. The Titans have the makings of a very good offensive line and a deep group of WR's even if there isn't one that sticks out at the moment. They grind the Steelers down and keep it close with the potential to win.

The OL and WR's they have scare me a bit. Taylor hasn't looked sharp this preseason, and he started slow last year, as well. Allen looked good in game 1, but there may be some rust. The whole team has looked sloppy. I see this being a tight game. Hopefully I'm wrong and the thing comes together, because they can't afford to drop easy games like last year. This schedule has a lot of pitfalls in it and very few pushovers.

I think the Steelers can come out and put points up on that suspect defense if they don't mess around or screw themselves. Let this team hang around and even Locker can make the plays to win it.
titans0021

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1st round disappoint Morgan

Not going to touch on the rest in the hopes that you will be unpleasantly surprised with what you see in a week, but had to hit on this. There aren't many Titans fans that are disappointed in Derrick Morgan. Tore his ACL as a rookie, had the same struggles most players do coming off of a torn ACL, and got better and better as the year went on last season. Sack numbers weren't great, but he generated plenty of pressure.

And be prepared to find out who Jurrell Casey is.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 3 receptions, 63 yards, 0 touchdowns
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preseason gives birth to optimism.

Quote:
There aren't many Titans fans that are disappointed in Derrick Morgan

It is sort of hard to get sacks when your secondary is getting shredded. Outside McCourty, it's a nice mess on the back-end of the defense. It's hard to call a 1st round DE with 35 games under his belt and only 10.5 sacks anything but a disappointment to date. If Titans fans aren't saying it, it's probably because they have low standards. I did point out that Casey and Morgan had some success getting to the QB this preseason, though.

It does seem Wimbley isn't a starter anymore, but a package guy. Apparently the guy in his place is 6'8, 315 pounds. Was in KC's 3-4 last year. Doesn't sound like a terror coming off the edge against Adams.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:

Casey is solid, but he isnt anything special at all.

If we find out who he is, it will likely because our line is terrible.

Not dogging on Casey....but we have made average OLineman look great in the past.
-Hope-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
titans0021 wrote:

Disagree. He was above-average last year while battling an injury all season long. That's already better than solid. He's also fully healthy now and has been monstrous in the preseason. He could very well be the best player on our defense (which I suppose isn't saying a whole lot, but just suffice to say that he's a very good player).

As for the game itself, I think it'll be a close one that could go either way. Wouldn't be surprised if we get beat, wouldn't be surprised if we win. Give the Steelers the edge at Heinz though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
titans0021 wrote:

Disagree. He was above-average last year while battling an injury all season long. That's already better than solid. He's also fully healthy now and has been monstrous in the preseason. He could very well be the best player on our defense (which I suppose isn't saying a whole lot, but just suffice to say that he's a very good player).

As for the game itself, I think it'll be a close one that could go either way. Wouldn't be surprised if we get beat, wouldn't be surprised if we win. Give the Steelers the edge at Heinz though.

Average/Above Average/Good is solid. Thats what he was last year. You make the injury claim but Ive heard it a million times...a player is supposedly injured and will be better the next year and they arent usually, and if they are its nothing notable.

Preseason? Shall I list you the players that have been monsterous in the preseason in years past that never replicated that on the field when it mattered?

I AM NOT SAYING CASEY CANNOT BE GREAT, but nothing Ive seen from him in the past tells me that will be the case. Preseason means very little to me outside of evaluating players understanding of the units they play in. A players dominance or lack thereof doesnt interest me because teams arent gameplanning.

Bottom line...maybe Casey will be great, and maybe not . All I am saying is dont get too excited if he dominates our OLine seeing as how we have the youngest OLine in the league and its marginally talented outside of 2, maybe 3 players.
DannyWallace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Titans are horrible, especially Locker they'll be lucky to win 5 games. I definitely think the steelers should win the game.

Contain Chris Johnson and they win

24-13 Steelers

Your game analysis is outstanding, I'm surprised you haven't been called by CBS yet. To say we'd be "lucky" to win 5 games is essentially saying we're a 2-3 win team with luck, which would put us in Raiders, Jags, Jets territory and that's nonsense. It's border line hilarity that anyone should even be calling any team in the league besides those three horrible before we've even played one game in the regular season. Jake Locker may not be a game breaker or a proven commodity in the NFL yet but you're highly undervaluing the rest of our offense and football club as a whole. Clearly your peers here understand and acknowledge our deep and potentially very scary WR group, as well as our presumably dominant offensive line should we avoid injury. This WILL be a competitive game whether you want to admit it or not. I actually respect the Steelers a lot and view this as a very difficult game, especially for Jake coming into Pittsburgh for his first meeting with LeBeau, but you have more to worry about than containing Johnson and should you succeed, that is not the only key to victory. That's all I'll say, good luck and no injuries.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One issue I'm having with Titans fans is there definition of talent, particularly with the defense. Guys I see fans very happy with on that defense would have most of the Steelers fanbase calling for the GM's head on a platter.
-Hope-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
titans0021 wrote:

Average/Above Average/Good is solid. Thats what he was last year. You make the injury claim but Ive heard it a million times...a player is supposedly injured and will be better the next year and they arent usually, and if they are its nothing notable.

Preseason? Shall I list you the players that have been monsterous in the preseason in years past that never replicated that on the field when it mattered?

I AM NOT SAYING CASEY CANNOT BE GREAT, but nothing Ive seen from him in the past tells me that will be the case. Preseason means very little to me outside of evaluating players understanding of the units they play in. A players dominance or lack thereof doesnt interest me because teams arent gameplanning.

Bottom line...maybe Casey will be great, and maybe not . All I am saying is dont get too excited if he dominates our OLine seeing as how we have the youngest OLine in the league and its marginally talented outside of 2, maybe 3 players.

I guess we're just arguing semantics, then. My definition of solid =/= your definition of solid.

And I reserve the right to get excited if any of our defensive players dominates anything, because my guess is we won't be seeing much of that this season. Let me have my fun. Laughing

CKSteeler wrote:
One issue I'm having with Titans fans is there definition of talent, particularly with the defense. Guys I see fans very happy with on that defense would have most of the Steelers fanbase calling for the GM's head on a platter.

And one issue I'm having with you, based on your posts in this thread and our GDT, is that you're trying to jump to way, way too many conclusions about our players and team using only raw stats and measurables even though by your own admission you haven't really watched our team play. Of course, as Titans fans we're liable to paint some of our players in a more positive light than others, but I'm also fairly positive we have a more thorough perspective on these guys. Hell, you somehow came to the conclusion that Akeem Ayers was a sloppy player simply because you didn't like him coming out of the draft- this is a guy who's been in the NFL for two years and has been a very productive player for us. What you thought of him on draft day isn't exactly relevant any more.

I'm sure if I looked at the statistics and measurables of Steelers players I could come to some very interesting conclusions, but without understanding context and watching the players play, it's all rather meaningless.

Hopefully this didn't come across as angry or aggressive because I'm truly not trying to be, and I'm certainly not incredibly confident that we'll march right into Heinz field and come out with a W- I'm just a little baffled by your methods of assessment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And one issue I'm having with you, based on your posts in this thread and our GDT, is that you're trying to jump to way, way too many conclusions about our players and team using only raw stats and measurables even though by your own admission you haven't really watched our team play.

I haven't watched them play much this preseason. I don't know too many non-Titans fans who would have gone out of their way for that, frankly. Ayers is a limited athlete who takes mediocre angles, plays high and has too many wasted movements. If I just looked at a stat sheet, I'd walk away with the conclusion most Titans fans seem to have on Ayers. I can tell you that I don't think moving Griffin back to center field is going to work that great.

Hasn't Verner been burned quite a few times this preseason alone? I see Titans fans saying he's a good CB, yet he was competing for a job just this camp if I'm not mistaken.

I value sound defensive football players. So yea when I watch the Titans play I walk away thinking most of them aren't very good. I'm also aware than when a defense lacks talent and coaching, it's hard to tell how good or bad certain individuals are.

Quote:

Hopefully this didn't come across as angry or aggressive because I'm truly not trying to be, and I'm certainly not incredibly confident that we'll march right into Heinz field and come out with a W- I'm just a little baffled by your methods of assessment.

I'm trying to get a feel for the Titans, so I appreciate the opinions people provide. I didn't know Wimbley had lost his starting job or that they were going to emphasize some different fronts this year. That was useful information. I don't get a chance to watch as much football as I used to, but I'm not a box score guy.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could've waited for the GDT.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
And I reserve the right to get excited if any of our defensive players dominates anything, because my guess is we won't be seeing much of that this season. Let me have my fun. Laughing

Haha...fair enough.

But Id be remiss if I didnt mention that this isnt the first time a Titans fan (not you last time) pimped out a Titans DT before a game between the teams. Last time it was Jason Jones. He actually did dominate our DLine...but he never turned out great.

Then again, I thought Jones WOULD be great, so maybe I am wrong about Casey too. Wink
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love me some Derrick Morgan and Jurrell Casey, but they along with McCourty and Verner are our only consistently good D players at this point(and with Verner, his man coverage is pretty meh..good zone guy though). Still wait and see on Ayers(though he has nice potential) and Brown is coming off a solid rookie year, but you obviously want to see more than just 1 year before claiming he's anything.

Hopefully it's a good game with no injuries..god knows we've seen enough injuries throughout the NFL this TC/pre-season period, but I've got the Steelers winning somewhat comfortably, 28-13.

#1CB Jason McCourty
2014 Stats - 1 Game/2 INTs/35.0 QB rating when thrown at
LT Michael Roos
2014 Stats - 1 Game/2 QB Hurries Allowed/7.0 YPC When ran behind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: