Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

After 5 years, Mark Dominik : What is his plan Exactly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: After 5 years, Mark Dominik : What is his plan Exactly? Reply with quote

Listening to many analysts in the game today, you here mixed reviews. Ian Beckles, Shaun King, Dexter Jackson, Darrin Sharper, Warren Sapp, etc. And they all have there mixed opinions on this Tampa Bay Bucs team. No depth. Fixed secondary issues, however means nothing with no pass rush. No QB. Etc.

Look, I've done my hw and I'm not an expert in professional football, but I've played the game. And like many fans, you listen and look at things GMs do with other teams and then you look at the Bucs and how they are built.

In 2009, Mark Dominik was hired and tried signing there own guys plus outside Free Agents. Dom went after Jay Cutler and Matt Cassell. That was a good miss because we would have been even more screwed, especially with Cassell. He went after Derrick Ward (failed), resigned Michael Clayton 10 mil guranteed(failed) and offered the house to Haynseworth but missed (thank fully). Traded for a 3 year experiment in Winslow.

There really wasn't a plan established in 2009. Did not know what to expect, but really he knocked the team down from scratch to rebuild. after the 2009 season, he said they wanted to build through the draft. Not a bad idea, but he's missed on high picks in 2010 and still has some things to answer for with 2011. Josh Freeman in 2009 is the last piece of the suspect draft class, who is an enigma.

Come 2012, Dominik scrapped the rebuild through the draft and started spending heaviliy on Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, and Eric Wright. At the time, looked good on paper. Jackson has really been the only one who panned out. Nicks looks like a lingering career injury. Wright was a flop from the start at 7.5 million.

I loved the 2 picks in Martin and David. I was ok with the Mark Barron pick, until recently I started thinking and going back to Barron's Alabama days. Why take a Safety in the first round, let alone the top 10, who struggles in coverage?Why not take a DE in Chandler Jones or team up McCoy with Michael Brockers? I'm not gonna say Luke Keuchly because I was suspect of him as a top 10 prospect. Any who, dating back to this off-season, we go ahead and sign FS Dashon Goldson to biggest contract for any safety to play the game. Trade a 1st and 3rd round pick for Darell Revis. Ok. Looks great on paper. But what about the dline? we've been near last in the league in pressure/sacks since Dom has been here. To be fair, I'm not a fan of the defensive scheme Schiano has installed either. Then I look back a couple years, did Dom scrap the build througgh the draft? Why? Bad talent evaluation? Missed picks? I mean he's missed several so...

Then I listened to Dexter Jackson, former Bucs Super Bowl MVP safety. First thing he says is your secondary depends on how the guys up front perform. If they're not getting to the QB, the pass defense is going to struggle. Can't cover guys in the nfl forever, which is why the pass rush is so important. He was asked to evaluate the Bucs pass rush and he paused for a little while. (AKA we're not very good nor deep). Shaun King even added "you cannot build from the secondary to the front. Getting Revis is great and all, but if a QB has all the time in the world it means nothing".

So now, I look at this roster and I look at the Goldson signing. Dom hands big money to a good safety. Not an elite one. Goldson is a good player, but he's not going o have that daunting pass rush that was in San Fran. Barron is an in the box safety, who might have been overdrafted.

And now I ask this, can anyone tell me what Dominik's plan is? Why has it changed? Is this roster capable of going to the playoffs?

To me , there are too many "if this happens, bucs can win 10-11 games...etc). To me, this is an unpredictable team heading into the season. Either a team that finishes last in the standings or first.

Also this isn't a "bash Dominik " thread. I'm just trying to figure out what his plans are?
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his plan was a good one. Ultimately, his draft picks not panning out might be his downfall.

In the NFL, in my humble opinion of course, you need certain things to win. You need:

- Good quarterback play (He got Freeman)
- Good pass rush (He got Mccoy, Price, Clayborn, Bowers)
- Strong o-line (He got Nicks, re-signed Penn)
- Good run game (He got Ward, he got Martin)
- Some weapons (He re-signed Clayton, drafted Mike Williams, got V-Jack, got Winslow)

Now, not all of his plans are working out. Freeman not being good by now is what is lacking most. Honestly think about it, if Freeman was consistently a good quarterback right now, wouldn't you be pumped about our current situation? Our pass rush is terribad, but I would be confident in a 10 win season.

He took some swings, hit a few and missed a few. All GM's hit and miss from time to time, it just so happens that ours missed on the two most important factors to building a successful football team in this day and age (quarterback and pass rush).

EDIT: The guys he got were just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
I think his plan was a good one. Ultimately, his draft picks not panning out might be his downfall.

In the NFL, in my humble opinion of course, you need certain things to win. You need:

- Good quarterback play (He got Freeman)
- Good pass rush (He got Mccoy, Price, Clayborn, Bowers)
- Strong o-line (He got Nicks, re-signed Penn)
- Good run game (He got Ward, he got Martin)
- Some weapons (He re-signed Clayton, drafted Mike Williams, got V-Jack, got Winslow)

Now, not all of his plans are working out. Freeman not being good by now is what is lacking most. Honestly think about it, if Freeman was consistently a good quarterback right now, wouldn't you be pumped about our current situation? Our pass rush is terribad, but I would be confident in a 10 win season.

He took some swings, hit a few and missed a few. All GM's hit and miss from time to time, it just so happens that ours missed on the two most important factors to building a successful football team in this day and age (quarterback and pass rush).

EDIT: The guys he got were just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.

Thats the key word highlighted. Too many "If'" on this team.

You also pointed out, inconsistency at the QB and terrible pass rush. How does that equal a 10 win season?
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:

You also pointed out, inconsistency at the QB and terrible pass rush. How does that equal a 10 win season?

I said very clearly...if Freeman was a consistently good quarterback, then I could see us winning 10 games. Since he has not in reality, I don't see us winning 10 games.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the plan, whatever the Glazers deem it will be. Pretty obvious, the Glazers grew tired of Gruden's plan of using older vets to fill in cracks along the roster. Also, didn't help Gruden that he passed on Aaron Rodgers for Caddy when Griese and Simms were on the roster. So, they flushed out Gruden/Allen and wanted to build through the draft initially, which included drafting a QB early. I had concerns initially, the Glazers were being cheap, but was proven wrong last season. Btw, I have no problem with the Nicks signing, you can't forecast injuries to a player who didn't have an injury history.

Seems pretty obvious the organization feels with a better secondary, the pass rush will be better. We'll see if they are right.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

I said very clearly...if Freeman was a consistently good quarterback, then I could see us winning 10 games. Since he has not in reality, I don't see us winning 10 games.

Right. But that was my point of the thread/post. Too many "if's" on this team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: