Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars claimed former Packers TE D.J. Williams, TE Harbor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Buzz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really excited about McCoy, wish I wasn't though because it doesn't often work out THAT well in these type of situations.

#BortlesKombat
iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethan raphael wrote:
Burton scored a 12 on the Wonderlic. I don't really see the point. One of those "more trouble than he is worth" guys.
What trouble, exactly? He's a bottom of the roster project player. He's not starting trouble, he's not ruining locker rooms, he's not quitting on the team. By all accounts, he's a hard worker who gives full effort, especially as a blocker.

By the way, Frank Gore scored a 6 on the Wonderlic. It's not some great measure of football intelligence.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the Wonderlic have to do with a guy being "more trouble than he's worth".

Low IQ=bad guy?

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
ethan raphael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have to teach him the playbook, which looks like a big job. Then hope he remembers the routes during the game. By which time someone else will come avialable and they'll cut him anyway. He isn't even a great athlete, considering how dumb he is. 4.53 40, short arms, small hands. Pointless roster change. I really don't think the constant change thing is going to work out for the Jags. It did (to an extent) in Seattle, but whatever pitiful little success the Seahawks had was just as likely to be due to other factors.
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethan raphael wrote:
I really don't think the constant change thing is going to work out for the Jags.
You do know that every team in the NFL shuffles around the bottom end of their roster all year long, right?

Quote:
pitiful little success the Seahawks had
What? Having the number one defense is pitiful little success? Making the playoffs is pitiful little success? Winning a playoff game is pitiful little success? Having stars all over the roster is pitiful little success? Being so successful and so clearly on the rise that you're widely viewed as one of the Super Bowl favorites is pitiful success? Calling what they did pitiful coupled with the way you tout the most trivial successes of Blaine is quite mind boggling.

- Best since day one -
.Buzz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
What does the Wonderlic have to do with a guy being "more trouble than he's worth".

Low IQ=bad guy?

I think i've had this same conversation with him a billion times. I don't understand the logic behind it either.

#BortlesKombat
.Buzz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethan raphael wrote:
They have to teach him the playbook, which looks like a big job. Then hope he remembers the routes during the game. By which time someone else will come avialable and they'll cut him anyway. He isn't even a great athlete, considering how dumb he is. 4.53 40, short arms, small hands. Pointless roster change. I really don't think the constant change thing is going to work out for the Jags. It did (to an extent) in Seattle, but whatever pitiful little success the Seahawks had was just as likely to be due to other factors.

Man dude, there is no reason to say stuff like that. It's not like you know the dude or anything. Calling someone dumb and not even knowing him at all is pretty ridiculous.

#BortlesKombat
ethan raphael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see the reasoning for Williams and Harbor, they were both very productive receivers in college and were highly regarded draft picks. I thought they needed size at receiver, but Burton seems like a shlub. Change for the sake of change.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethan raphael wrote:
I could see the reasoning for Williams and Harbor, they were both very productive receivers in college and were highly regarded draft picks. I thought they needed size at receiver, but Burton seems like a shlub. Change for the sake of change.

Change for the sake of change sounds bad, if you know enough about a guy that you dont see any reason to keep him, you cut him and learn about someone else, its the only way to see what else is out there

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The commenter who was a Vikings fan basically said the Vikings cut Burton because he wasn't very smart. Maybe he said it a bit more diplomatically than I did, but the bottom line is the same.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really matter at all though?

I mean...worst case (and apparently most likely case) is that he's kinda dumb and sucks at being a good football player, so we cut him and try someone else.

Is there really that much harm in trying guys out at the very bottom end of our depth chart?
ethan raphael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They cut a guy, Kyler Reed, who could fit the role. He is a bit bigger, (6-2, 225), runs a legit 4.4 40, is a good blocker (played TE and HB in college), and is twice as smart. Plus he had a month or so to learn the system before they cut him. Just required a little patience to get him running WR routes.
iPwn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really love for you to provide evidence for this claim of "twice as smart." Further, I'd love to know if you actually watched any practices to see how Reed was playing. I'm guessing not.

And this obsession with a timed 40 result proving athletic ability is almost as bad as the idea that a Wonderlic actually measures intelligence. Cecil Shorts is a great game athlete. No one would debate that. He also has great game speed, as he was a major big play receiver last year, getting behind the defense constantly. But he ran just a 4.59 40.

He just required a little patience? Like maybe Burton would?

Hey, remember when you said this?
Quote:
I would respect the opinion of pro scouts, and those opinions (especially Dave Caldwell's) are supportive of Gabbert.
and several other things that suggested that we needed to trust in Gabbert solely based on the reasoning that Caldwell does (which really only amounted to Dave liking Gabbert more than the other QBs relative to their draft position)? So why are you making such a big issue about Burton? Caldwell believes that Burton was worth a look at those shuffled spots at the bottom of the roster. He also believed that currently, Reed, who actually had the majority of the offseason, not a month (we signed him April 29th as a UDFA, released him July 25th), to learn and did nothing with it isn't. Trust him. And interestingly enough, I can't find anything saying that another team picked him up. Scouts, who you are so endearing towards and know better than us [insert any of the names you called us for having an opinion on Gabbert] don't seem to think he's worth a look at all. Huh.

- Best since day one -
ethan raphael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burton had to leave practice today because he couldn't deal with the heat. Dog, I tell ya.... Sad

I think the mad change mantra is coming from Bradley not Caldwell. Gus is going to burn up the good will pretty quickly. Although the quarterback thing was a bit weird. They go on and on about competition and winning your spot, then parachute in Stanzi, with no practice or game time and cut the guys who have been here through camp. Bit hypocritical.

Last edited by ethan raphael on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
iPwn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had cramps. That happens to anybody. It seriously sounds like you're searching for reasons to hate this guy, based solely on his Wonderlic score.

"He's a bigger type receiver, 217, and he runs a 4.4," Bradley said. "He's real smooth. We got him some reps out there today just to give him a feel. ... We like his traits that he brings and to have a bigger type receiver that's fast and skilled I think is unique to get somebody like that. I know our scouts did a great job targeting him right from the start once we found out the waiver wires, so we're fortunate to get him."

- Best since day one -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: