Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Meet your 2013 Dallas Cowboys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSTE92 wrote:
Northland wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
As I said in another thread, this roster looks...sorry to say, horrid. OL looks bad. DL looks suspect. 5 TEs? Really? 6 safeties and 4 CB, one of which is Webb, who looked very blah in preseason? Whaaa?

My gut says that's the roster of a 6 win team. I just find very little to like about it, tbh.

With both lines being very thin it is going to cost us. I think this team struggles to play .500 ball.

I think we all forgot how good Romo to Dez and Sean Lee with Ware looked. How solid the been but don't break defense worked without Mo. I'm not saying it's Super Bowl but do McGee and Moore over Andre Smith and a new ST DE really change your opinions. I didn't see many calling for 6 wins before the cuts, some bottom of the roster guys are going to cost us that many wins?

I have no issue with the top end players on our roster. They match up with anyone in the league. It's the lack of depth on both of our lines that really concerns me. Football can very often be a war of attrition and those clubs who either stay healthy or have quality depth to step in fare well. If a starter gets hurt on either line we have big trouble. I realize not towing the company line can be a perilous pursuit on this site but I'll stand by my intuition which says we are going to be disappointed by this club this year. Nothing will make me happier than being wrong on this. Cue the he's a hater talk in 4,3, 2,1.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
I have no issue with the top end players on our roster. They match up with anyone in the league. It's the lack of depth on both of our lines that really concerns me. Football can very often be a war of attrition and those clubs who either stay healthy or have quality depth to step in fare well. If a starter gets hurt on either line we have big trouble. I realize not towing the company line can be a perilous pursuit on this site but I'll stand by my intuition which says we are going to be disappointed by this club this year. Nothing will make me happier than being wrong on this. Cue the he's a hater talk in 4,3, 2,1.

You're a hater, and your insane level of hatefulness is just....hateful.

Not serious

^^^mack
TheTechnician

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 47s
Cowboys have traded TE Dante Rosario to Chicago for a conditional 7th round pick in 2014. Roster is at 52. Third trade in three days
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheTechnician wrote:
Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 47s
Cowboys have traded TE Dante Rosario to Chicago for a conditional 7th round pick in 2014. Roster is at 52. Third trade in three days

Neat. So a pick for a FA. I approve. Also makes sense why we kept 5 TEs.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
TheTechnician

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 1m
Number changes: Travis Frederick 72, Joseph Randle 21 George Selvie 99.

EDIT:
Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 2m
Jersey changes Frederick is now 72. Kyle bosworth is 58. Edgar jones is 55.

Last edited by TheTechnician on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FredBeard gets his college number again.

^^^mack
TheTechnician

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 11s
@cory42801: are u hearing the Cowboys looking at any position to upgrade since roster is at 52 looking for linemen both sides
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
FredBeard gets his college number again.

And that's why you never buy a rookie's jersey before the final cut down.

Arkansas Razorback DE Trey Flowers 2014 Stat Tracker - 26 tackles, 4 TFL, 1 sack, 1 Forced Fumble, 3 Pass Break Ups
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Northland wrote:

Not serious

LOL! I think you know where I am coming from. I am usually guarded regardless, but both lines have me worried and that's why I am pulling in any expectations.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say this much. The Cowboys pre-Parcells and pre-Garrett likely would have tried to make a hasty move to improve a perceived area of need and likely get burned by doing so (see Roy Williams trade for example).

You don't see them trading away high draft picks for a player. You don't see them trying to sign and give big money to someone like Seymour who is still on the market.

Instead, they're putting their hopes on players that showed promise in the off-season and preseason and leaning on their coaches to get the most out of these players. Whether it pays off or not remains to be seen, but I am happy that we aren't making rushed decisions.

^^^mack
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Northland wrote:

Not serious

LOL! I think you know where I am coming from. I am usually guarded regardless, but both lines have me worried and that's why I am pulling in any expectations.

The counterpoint you had to know was coming...

Looking strictly at the offense. Frederick alone is a massive (no pun intended) improvement. Arkin is playing better than what we started last year, Leary is playing better than what we atarted last year, Free is better than what we started last year, Bernie and Smith *are* what we started last year.

But better than last year means, what, exactly? Well, over the final 8 games of the season, with a hobbled Austin, games that included a starting o-line of Parnell, Livings, Bernadeau, Dockery and Free, but a Dez who finally got the game, Witten as mr reliable, and Romodini in full force, we scored over 28points per game.

I expect this offense will be better... Maybe not score more because we won't have to, having basically 9 starters return to the defensive line up who missed huge chunks of those same 8 games... But better.

Defensively, well, that's a whole other post, but feeling even more rosy than about the offense.
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
Northland wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Northland wrote:

Not serious

Looking strictly at the offense. Frederick alone is a massive (no pun intended) improvement. Arkin is playing better than what we started last year, Leary is playing better than what we atarted last year, Free is better than what we started last year, Bernie and Smith *are* what we started last year.

But better than last year means, what, exactly? Well, over the final 8 games of the season, with a hobbled Austin, games that included a starting o-line of Parnell, Livings, Bernadeau, Dockery and Free, but a Dez who finally got the game, Witten as mr reliable, and Romodini in full force, we scored over 28points per game.

I expect this offense will be better... Maybe not score more because we won't have to, having basically 9 starters return to the defensive line up who missed huge chunks of those same 8 games... But better.

Defensively, well, that's a whole other post, but feeling even more rosy than about the offense.

Not sure if you posted it here already or not, but I found your article on the "bend but don't break" defense to be a good read: http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/9/1/4682900/breaking-is-bad-but-that-doesnt-mean-bending

^ made by CalhounLambeau
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kegbearer made a very nice correction to it regarding how it plays against the west coast offense.

And no, I hadn't posted here... Thanks for linking it!
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
Northland wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Northland wrote:

Not serious

You make valid points. But it is the lack of depth that concerns me. Perhaps the law of averages re injuries works in our favor this year. Maybe, maybe not. But the drop off in talent from starter to back up is big in my estimation. That's what can make or break us.

Defensively my questions are:

1. Can our front four generate consistent pressure on the passer?

2. Will we find a playmaking S?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't success in Kiffin's defense predicated on pressure and turnovers? Time will tell if our defense can do this.

Offensively it boils down to the performance and health of the O Line. Frederick is a big improvement. Smith will be better at LT. I think Leary will be a decent player if he stays healthy and is better than Livings. How much will the time he missed hurt him? Bernadeau and Free are what they are. Arkin does nothing for me. Okay in space, but will get dominated man to man.
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm buying into Free being improved, since he's still just 29, there's a precedent for him playing well, and there's a motive (the pay-cut + being forced to fight for his job). I'm iffier about the other right side spot (be it Bernie at RG or Parnell at RT), and I have yet to lose sight of the fact that our savior at LG is a second-year former UDFA who spent last year on the practice squad and is coming off knee surgery.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: