Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Question of the Day: Does Winfield Return? (Retires instead)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Question of the Day: Does Winfield Return? (Retires instead) Reply with quote

Seahawks are releasing CB Antoine Winfield.

Always the chance Seattle could deal Winfield first - WSH and MIN had legit interest this offseason - but can be difficult this time of year

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/373791306033926144

a big enough topic for its own thread, i'd say. hopefully mods agree.

will Winfield retire, now that Seattle has said he's not part of their plan? is Spielman on the phone right now? what's his trade value?

Antoine moved his family to Houston, if WASH made a move for him he'd be a long way from his new home... do we stand a chance? will we take one?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Last edited by vike daddy on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please come home Toine!! Give Josh Robinson another year to learn.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spielman looking smarter and smarter...

Bring him home at 1.5 million.
vikingsrule

Winfield would be a fantastic fit, where he can be the third CB and play the slot. Josh Robinson can play the dime spot and be the backup to both outside CBs. Robinson can learn for a year, and if he plays well, perhaps push Winfield to the 4th CB spot. I think Winfield would really solidify the slot CB spot for a year and would give the team more depth as Robinson becomes the #4 over Jefferson.

From a salary standpoint, where does this team stand? If A.J. Jefferson is released to make room for Winfield, what other moves would be needed to get Winfield signed (id guess it would cost $2-3M).
vike daddy

well, Spielman looking lucky.

but i'll take it.

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winfield, in April: "It was a very tough decision for me because of the relationships that I have in Minnesota. I've been there nine years. I've had some really great coaches, teammates and fans there. I'm very grateful to the Vikings organization for my experience."

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Winfield, in April: "It was a very tough decision for me because of the relationships that I have in Minnesota. I've been there nine years. I've had some really great coaches, teammates and fans there. I'm very grateful to the Vikings organization for my experience."

I hope Winfield is true to these words and isnt bitter about how things ended in MN. It was rather abrupt and the Vikings definitely caught him off guard.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect that he would resign here is he signs anywhere, I could also see him just retiring. There should still be interest from the Vikings. I'm trying to remember, but he probably didn't relocate his whole family with him, so if his family is used to going to school in MN, that would probably be added incentive.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
I expect that he would resign here is he signs anywhere, I could also see him just retiring. There should still be interest from the Vikings. I'm trying to remember, but he probably didn't relocate his whole family with him, so if his family is used to going to school in MN, that would probably be added incentive.

Retirement is an option at this point. But with a reduced role, it could be an appealing situation in MN. MN does have Rhodes and Cook who both should be full time starters at the outside CB spots. Id guess that Robinson could share reps with Winfield at nickel. We may only need Winfield for 25-30 plays per game, that would be a good selling point about coming here as a part time player.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
I'm trying to remember, but he probably didn't relocate his whole family with him, so if his family is used to going to school in MN, that would probably be added incentive.

i don't know if it fully happened, but he said their family would move to Houston, as his wife has a sister there.

since his kids are of school age and 'Toine Jr plays on the football team, it's probably happened.

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
The Gnat wrote:
I'm trying to remember, but he probably didn't relocate his whole family with him, so if his family is used to going to school in MN, that would probably be added incentive.

i don't know if it fully happened, but he said their family would move to Houston, as his wife has a sister there.

since his kids are of school age and 'Toine Jr plays on the football team, it's probably happened.

Didnt Peterson just get a place in Houston too? Could be a good selling point, as both players are somewhat close to home (not really, but closer to Seattle and Washington D.C.).
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The home in Houston and family relocating are important factors that Winfield might consider. Think

However, a return to MN or move to DC would likely be for 1-2 years. Winfield could rent a home in MN (or DC) for 1-2 years and travel to Houston to be with his family when there are opportunities in the practice schedule. In essence, he might travel back & forth from MN and TX up to 20 weeks per season, not 52 weeks per year.

My concern is that Vikings fans who want Winfield back have forgotten that Seattle is dropping him, meaning his skills and abilities have diminished, and Vikings fans are basing their opinions on his PAST performance levels, which may not be realistic in 2013. So a yute Vikings CB with POTENTIAL to be a good DB in the future would have to be pushed off the roster to make room for Winfield for 1, maybe 2, years. Fortunately, we all see a few CBs who are 'expendable'; i.e. Sherels, Felder(sp?), or Jefferson who may not have much room to improve going forward.

I would only sign Winfield if NO draft picks are involved, and he is signed at a little over the vet minimum. I would then sign a free agent CB to the PS to replace Winfield in case of injury in 2013, and retirement in 2014.
perrynoid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make this a poll question? Acquire yes if only for less than x amount per year, no we have moved on, etc.?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
My concern is that Vikings fans who want Winfield back have forgotten that Seattle is dropping him, meaning his skills and abilities have diminished, and Vikings fans are basing their opinions on his PAST performance levels, which may not be realistic in 2013.

Seattle let him go because they have several young CBs who have shown promise in Maxwell, Lane and Thurmond. They arent letting him go because of skill or lack thereof. MN could gain having Winfield as a veteran nickel or dime CB. The Vikings really dont have young CBs with upside like Seattle does at the bottom of the depth chart. I think having a veteran like Winfield would be very positive, since they are leaning on young starters. Seattle has Sherman and Browner as starters and leaders of its CB group. There really wasnt a need for Winfield in the end like the Vike have a need for him. Basically we know Winfield will solidify the nickel/slot CB spot. Robinson can work as a reserve CB and dime CB without having as much pressure on him to perform, plus the experience gained from Winfield playing the slot would be instrumental for his development.

Quote:
So a yute Vikings CB with POTENTIAL to be a good DB in the future would have to be pushed off the roster to make room for Winfield for 1, maybe 2, years. Fortunately, we all see a few CBs who are 'expendable'; i.e. Sherels, Felder(sp?), or Jefferson who may not have much room to improve going forward.

I suggest moving Jefferson for Winfield. Jefferson may be young, but is a quality yute? I dont think he is. The leadership gained by adding Winfield will help the young CBs who truly have upside (Cook, Rhodes, Robinson and Felder).

Quote:
I would only sign Winfield if NO draft picks are involved, and he is signed at a little over the vet minimum. I would then sign a free agent CB to the PS to replace Winfield in case of injury in 2013, and retirement in 2014.

I agree, i wouldnt want to spend much on Winfield either. Maybe $1.5M tops. I would consider moving a 7th round pick, at most. Even then, that probably wont be necessary. Maybe Jefferson or an extra LB can be moved for a 7th round pick?

Last edited by vikingsrule on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
this providence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on where Winfield's game is and what Minnesota has to work with, yes, you'd love to have Winfield back with this team. Winfield is a huge upgrade over Josh Robinson.

However, I can't see this as something that's all that likely. I'd say bridges are probably be burned at this point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: