Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Final cuts: OT Tony Pashos, CB Minnifield, RB Williams
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
I don't really care if we plan to sign Winifield in place of Chase I'd prefer the younger up and coming physically man to man coverage ability that we had in Chase. Whoever signs him is getting a steal. IMO we will regret this decision!!! I'm highly pissed😡😡😡😡😡😡
There is no guarantee that a team claims him off waivers. I think people are overreacting that we're definitely going to lose him.

Did Chase play well?

Yes, but Chase played well vs other teams players who werent making their teams for the most part. It's like with Pat White, you have to put into perspective who the player is playing against.

I trust that the coaches believe he won't be picked up by another team and we can put him on the practice squad.

I disagree with the whole thing about him only playing well against other guys that are getting cut as well. I saw him and Amerson as our future CB's. Amerson more of a playmaker and Chase as a guy WR's have trouble getting away from (causing more breakups) I'd prefer him over Murphy and Bigger any day. Your right, there is a chance he clears but I truly don't see that happening.
3 years from now, possibly. This year no.

Agree to disagree. Chase is >>>>>> better than Murphy and Biggers IMO.

Murphy has impressed and he plays special teams. Apparently Chase would always been on the inactive list because he doesn't play teams so they decided to risk him on waivers.

If it was my choice I'd go with the guy who could have more effect in the game and IMO it's a guy who could be our 3rd to 4th CB not someone who is is 5th on the depth chart at his position but made the team due to his ability to play ST's. Ill agree to disagree with anyone who feels differently. It's not as though Murphy was someone like Lorenzo Alexander.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
I don't really care if we plan to sign Winifield in place of Chase I'd prefer the younger up and coming physically man to man coverage ability that we had in Chase. Whoever signs him is getting a steal. IMO we will regret this decision!!! I'm highly pissed😡😡😡😡😡😡
There is no guarantee that a team claims him off waivers. I think people are overreacting that we're definitely going to lose him.

Did Chase play well?

Yes, but Chase played well vs other teams players who werent making their teams for the most part. It's like with Pat White, you have to put into perspective who the player is playing against.

I trust that the coaches believe he won't be picked up by another team and we can put him on the practice squad.

I disagree with the whole thing about him only playing well against other guys that are getting cut as well. I saw him and Amerson as our future CB's. Amerson more of a playmaker and Chase as a guy WR's have trouble getting away from (causing more breakups) I'd prefer him over Murphy and Bigger any day. Your right, there is a chance he clears but I truly don't see that happening.
3 years from now, possibly. This year no.

Agree to disagree. Chase is >>>>>> better than Murphy and Biggers IMO.

Murphy has impressed and he plays special teams. Apparently Chase would always been on the inactive list because he doesn't play teams so they decided to risk him on waivers.
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in the "I think this sucks I thought he would make the team" group. Guess he's not ready.

Maybe just an inevitable move when you load other positions ? (RB?, TE, OLB, S?.....)

Or does it speak to the Defensive schemes they will use?? I like being a bit heavier on the field. Remember this one?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/sports/football/19giants.html?_r=0
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Count me in the "I think this sucks I thought he would make the team" group. Guess he's not ready.

Maybe just an inevitable move when you load other positions ? (RB?, TE, OLB, S?.....)

Or does it speak to the Defensive schemes they will use?? I like being a bit heavier on the field. Remember this one?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/sports/football/19giants.html?_r=0
I think it speaks to 3 things:

1. He got beat out by Murphy. People forget that Murphy played well vs better wrs this preseason. I saw him in there some in the nickel vs the 1st team offenses and he nearly had 2 or 3 ints this preseason and he's still young. He and Biggers are both only 26, they also have game experience, Minifield doesn't.

2. Murphy is a better special teams cover guy and blocker. Chris Thompson credited Murphy with the key block that allowed him to score the TD vs Tampa

3. The team feels that Minnifield will clear waivers and
they can put him on the practice squad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lions picked up Gomes.

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF
MikeT14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Redskins changing #'s: @BRambo18 to 24, RB @ChrisThompson_4 to 25, @BJenkinsFSU to 51, @NickBarnett to 55: http://redsk.in/16M2lyj

- mike23md on the sig!
markrc99

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote: "... Cousins is going nowhere until we see, in a game, that RG3's knee is really okay. So I doubt we get rid of him. White is on the roster to mimic Vick (and other mobile QBs) on the scout team and also provide some depth in case something goes wrong in the first month with RG3 or Cousins. Meanwhile if we can unload him for a 6th or 7th to a team that needs a QB (or depth) we would do it. Alternatively, we could unload Rex to a team like GB that needs a decent #2 QB that is most likely not going to see the field unless Rodgers gets hurt."

Could be, we can all agree that they're not going to keep four, so something is certainly in the works. Again, I suspect they're going to move Kirk Cousins. I did finally get a chance to review the Tampa game & I got a good look at Pat White. His placement was poor, some of which will improve. Everything from the pocket was high, even though his release of the football is as high as it's going to get. Unless he has a lane to throw through, he compromises the catching radius of every rec'r. Low passes that get deflected usually end up on the ground. Stuff that gets tipped around that's high to begin with has a far greater chance of ending up in someone's hands. Anytime the DL maintain their gaps, they can defend the short middle... or, certainly factor. Right now he's reading his receiver, not the coverage. When he did get throwing lanes & LBs were sitting in them, he was oblivious & kept throwing them the football. At this level, you already know precisely where your rec'r is going to be. You're reading the coverage and determining whether to make that throw. Was slow to come off his primary, fortunate in that he usually had a lot of time. It would be inaccurate to suggest he's slow to diagnose, I've seen established QBs do the same thing. Zero trade value, a project who would only appeal to the few offenses featuring a run/pass option QB. Has sustained a serious concussion.

Consummate backup, knows the role and looks keen to attain it. Quick set & release & everything is on a rope. If your rec'r is half in the bag, don't put him on the field with Patrick White, unless you like dropped balls with your mustard. Surprising arm strength for a man his size. Displayed decent command of the offense, although I don't recall seeing him audible. Showed real composure, feels the pressure, good pocket presence. Elusive, can throw on the run. System guy who has found the right team. Time is what he needs most.

With respect to released players, a guy I really liked in last year's draft was NT Kheeston Randall. Miami has gone to a 4-3 set and doesn't want this guy now. If it were me, his phone would be ringing.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:
#Redskins changing #'s: @BRambo18 to 24, RB @ChrisThompson_4 to 25, @BJenkinsFSU to 51, @NickBarnett to 55: http://redsk.in/16M2lyj
Thanks mikeT14. I love those #s for those 4 guys, but for Jenkins...

I liked Jenkins in #57- reminded me of Ken Harvey out there

Rambo is going to look great in 24

Chris Thompson makes much more sense in #25 as a running back and of course Barnett looks much better in #55 than in 90. It was weird seeing an inside linebacker wearing #90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote: "... Cousins is going nowhere until we see, in a game, that RG3's knee is really okay. So I doubt we get rid of him. White is on the roster to mimic Vick (and other mobile QBs) on the scout team and also provide some depth in case something goes wrong in the first month with RG3 or Cousins. Meanwhile if we can unload him for a 6th or 7th to a team that needs a QB (or depth) we would do it. Alternatively, we could unload Rex to a team like GB that needs a decent #2 QB that is most likely not going to see the field unless Rodgers gets hurt."

Could be, we can all agree that they're not going to keep four, so something is certainly in the works. Again, I suspect they're going to move Kirk Cousins. I did finally get a chance to review the Tampa game & I got a good look at Pat White. His placement was poor, some of which will improve. Everything from the pocket was high, even though his release of the football is as high as it's going to get. Unless he has a lane to throw through, he compromises the catching radius of every rec'r. Low passes that get deflected usually end up on the ground. Stuff that gets tipped around that's high to begin with has a far greater chance of ending up in someone's hands. Anytime the DL maintain their gaps, they can defend the short middle... or, certainly factor. Right now he's reading his receiver, not the coverage. When he did get throwing lanes & LBs were sitting in them, he was oblivious & kept throwing them the football. At this level, you already know precisely where your rec'r is going to be. You're reading the coverage and determining whether to make that throw. Was slow to come off his primary, fortunate in that he usually had a lot of time. It would be inaccurate to suggest he's slow to diagnose, I've seen established QBs do the same thing. Zero trade value, a project who would only appeal to the few offenses featuring a run/pass option QB. Has sustained a serious concussion.

Consummate backup, knows the role and looks keen to attain it. Quick set & release & everything is on a rope. If your rec'r is half in the bag, don't put him on the field with Patrick White, unless you like dropped balls with your mustard. Surprising arm strength for a man his size. Displayed decent command of the offense, although I don't recall seeing him audible. Showed real composure, feels the pressure, good pocket presence. Elusive, can throw on the run. System guy who has found the right team. Time is what he needs most.

With respect to released players, a guy I really liked in last year's draft was NT Kheeston Randall. Miami has gone to a 4-3 set and doesn't want this guy now. If it were me, his phone would be ringing.
Well if Pat can't be traded, he'll be cut before the Philly game IMO.

I agree with Thai, absolutely Zero chance Kirk is moved until march of 2014, or later
markrc99

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote: "Well if Pat can't be traded, he'll be cut before the Philly game IMO. I agree with Thai, absolutely Zero chance Kirk is moved until march of 2014, or later."

I suppose anything is possible, but after breaking down White's performance v Tampa I just can't see any other team offering something for him. Especially when they all know what you do, which is that the Redskins aren't going to carry 4 QBs for very long. Frankly, treating him in the manner that you suggest would be that of a 2nd rate organization & for what, a selection at the bottom of the draft? It's cheesy & unfair to the player. You cut him so he has a chance to catch on with another team & if you want to use him to mimic Vick or someone else, that's what the PS is for. The counter-argument of course is that he isn't eligible for the PS & they have two temporary holes in their active roster. I can think of far better use of that window than trying to shop Pat White. Throughout the preseason the team has done things to try to improve their interior pressure. I've mentioned NT Kheeston Randall, you've mentioned the need of depth at ILB, which also makes a lot more sense. I do agree that if the team's asking price for Cousins isn't met by the time Jenkins & Jackson return, White will be cut.

I think Tampa might be a team that shows interest in Cousins. I viewed the replay of the Tampa game on the NFL Network, which featured a broadcast team that was oriented to Tampa's audience. While Ronde Barber said he believed Josh Freeman would play well and be their long-term QB, there seems to be indications that confidence in him is waning. I don't know, maybe it was the way Freeman just kept staring back up at the camera, as if to acknowledge he knew that his days are numbered. Their 3rd rd draft pick Mike Glennon, completely sucked. I do think Freeman has to fail for the team to make a move before the trade deadline. Jacksonville, Oakland & Arizona are all potential suitors. Now, I don't think it's generally perceived that September is the ideal time to make such a trade but if one of these teams concludes they simply don't have a QB, why wait until the season is over? I think as this progresses, it'll be a matter of whether Cousins stock rises to match the Redskins demand.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:
turtle28 wrote: "Well if Pat can't be traded, he'll be cut before the Philly game IMO. I agree with Thai, absolutely Zero chance Kirk is moved until march of 2014, or later."

I suppose anything is possible, but after breaking down White's performance v Tampa I just can't see any other team offering something for him. Especially when they all know what you do, which is that the Redskins aren't going to carry 4 QBs for very long. Frankly, treating him in the manner that you suggest would be that of a 2nd rate organization & for what, a selection at the bottom of the draft? It's cheesy & unfair to the player. You cut him so he has a chance to catch on with another team & if you want to use him to mimic Vick or someone else, that's what the PS is for. The counter-argument of course is that he isn't eligible for the PS & they have two temporary holes in their active roster. I can think of far better use of that window than trying to shop Pat White. Throughout the preseason the team has done things to try to improve their interior pressure. I've mentioned NT Kheeston Randall, you've mentioned the need of depth at ILB, which also makes a lot more sense. I do agree that if the team's asking price for Cousins isn't met by the time Jenkins & Jackson return, White will be cut.

I think Tampa might be a team that shows interest in Cousins. I viewed the replay of the Tampa game on the NFL Network, which featured a broadcast team that was oriented to Tampa's audience. While Ronde Barber said he believed Josh Freeman would play well and be their long-term QB, there seems to be indications that confidence in him is waning. I don't know, maybe it was the way Freeman just kept staring back up at the camera, as if to acknowledge he knew that his days are numbered. Their 3rd rd draft pick Mike Glennon, completely sucked. I do think Freeman has to fail for the team to make a move before the trade deadline. Jacksonville, Oakland & Arizona are all potential suitors. Now, I don't think it's generally perceived that September is the ideal time to make such a trade but if one of these teams concludes they simply don't have a QB, why wait until the season is over? I think as this progresses, it'll be a matter of whether Cousins stock rises to match the Redskins demand.
there is absolutely no way any of this is happening.

1. Our front office and coaches love our DL and depth and for good reason, they were mostly unblockable all preseason

2. We're not trading Kirk Cousins. I'm surprised DCRED hasn't gotten in on this, he jumps all over me for suggesting that we could trade Cousins next march or April. Maybe he just thinks this idea is so unrealistic that he chooses not to comment

3. Tampa Bay has Freeman who is their starter at least or this season. Glennon may have struggled in his first preseason, but they still invested a 3rd rounder on him- to suggest the Bucs are going to trade for a qb who could start and give up on both players before the season even starts is not a rational thought.

Cousins is going to be on our roster all season and our DL is absolutely fine and will be even better when Jarvis Jenkins returns for week 6 vs. Dallas
markrc99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote: "Our front office and coaches love our DL and depth and for good reason, they were mostly unblockable all preseason."

This is in response to me stating that there was far better use of an open roster spot than shopping Patrick White. Released NT Kheeston Randall was simply one example. I also mentioned ILB, which you conveniently ignored to make your stupid point. Others here were adamant about Chase Minnifield & given all the problems in the back end, they could've used that 1st month to give him some experience. That said, I see that of the 10 sacks the defense had in the preseason, 7.5 were by LBs. To that point, I noticed on one play v Tampa where Brandon Jenkins just exploded off the ball to apply elite-level edge speed! We've heard a lot about what guys like Amerson & Rambo are going to mean for the back & there's a lot of promise there, but Brandon Jenkins looks like he could factor big! Up front, the defense has looked good, but I question the extent to which they were tested, the opposition was pretty feeble. But also, if the coaching staff were satisfied with the DL in every respect, why were they experimenting with LBs Kerrigan & Tapp at DT in known passing situations? With respect to Kheeston Randall, here's what was written when he was released:
Quote:
"[Kheeston] Randall was not a name I considered when the Dolphins had to trim their roster Saturday night. For starters, he had a solid preseason and training camp. Second, he isn't practice-squad eligible, which means the Dolphins had no chance of reclaiming him after he was cut. But Miami had a lot of depth on its defensive line, and perhaps Randall wonít be missed. Still, he was a solid rotational player who lost his job." http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/64163/miami-dolphins-stock-watch-7

He's nearly 6'5" 310lbs, which is excellent length with the power to match. It's the quickness, that elite explosion that he doesn't have. At Texas they moved him & everyone else all around. I felt, to the detriment of the unit. To my eye, Randall appeared to know exactly what he wanted to do at the NT position. He's a two-gap stacker v run and good enough to force the double over the nose v pass. Classic role player, freeing up others, which is a point you've gone on about yourself. Yet, with absolutely nothing at stake, it's absurd to even consider the man, when you know nothing about him! You stumble all over your own contradiction for the sake of being contrary. Randall is also of high character, a strong locker room presence. But nevermind, the coaching staff is supposedly in love with the likes of journeyman Chris Baker. They list him at 6'2" 333lbs, but he just looked a lot fatter to me this camp. Yeah, he weighs enough but that's generally considered too small to stack and be that space eater, so you're looking for him to be that quick one-gap penetrator, a disruptor in the backfield. Perhaps I've overlooked him, but I don't recall being impressed by him.

turtle28 wrote: "We're not trading Kirk Cousins. I'm surprised DCRED hasn't gotten in on this, he jumps all over me for suggesting that we could trade Cousins next march or April. Maybe he just thinks this idea is so unrealistic that he chooses not to comment."

Again, you just can't help yourself but to resort to one personal dig after another. I don't know what DCRED's position is but it sounds like he's placing strong emphasis on the backup QB position in the long-term. Which is of course a legitimate concern. The counter to that is unfortunately, the aspirations of Kirk Cousins. If memory serves, he wasn't all giddy about becoming a Redskin. Ha-ha, I recall him being perplexed that this team selected him. Fact is, he has no interest at all in being Robert Griffin's backup. The motivation behind everything he's doing is to impress some other team. He's 100% committed & makes the Redskins a better team, but his heart is somewhere else. Shanahan said he drafted the best player on the board, not filling a need. This whole thing is about another team recognizing his development & that's where we're at. Does his performance match his goal of being an NFL starting QB? I've been very impressed with him. I'm certainly not going to suggest that his sprained ankle compromised a move, but that sort of thing doesn't help. He looks ready to me, but my opinion isn't what counts. No, he doesn't have the strongest arm nor is he ultra-elusive, but anyone can see that when the pieces are around him, he's a good QB. I agree with Jon Gruden, if I come to realization that I do not have an NFL-caliber QB on my roster, I'm checking the Redskins asking price!

I also agree with Gruden with respect to Griffin's status, of course he's going start. For weeks, he's said & done everything he possibly could to make it known that he's ready to play! Recently, Kirk Cousins has done the same thing, both have been as explicitly clear as humanly possible & yet, there's this notion that there's some concern. There's none & thus, doesn't explain why Pat White is on the team. I think they've found something in him & they believe they can groom him to be Griffin's capable backup. How can you not pull for this guy? What a story! He's this high draft pick, a wildcat QB and in his rookie season I think, He's rocked unconscious! His career in a flash, seemingly over. Years later, here he is trying to piece his game back together. But no, it's all a mirage, the Redskins are just fuqing with him. They're hanging onto him because they think some other team is dumb enough to give them a whopping 6th rd draft pick. I would hope this organization would have a little more class than that.

turtle28 wrote: "Tampa Bay has Freeman who is their starter at least or this season. Glennon may have struggled in his first preseason, but they still invested a 3rd rounder on him- to suggest the Bucs are going to trade for a qb who could start and give up on both players before the season even starts is not a rational thought."

Again, here's what I actually said: "I do think Freeman has to fail for the team to make a move before the trade deadline." Clearly you have some vendetta against me. Glennon sucked & here's the problem. Tampa is a small market team & they paid Vincent Jackson & now Revis a lot of money. Jackson wasn't brought in to help develop this guy, which is years away from now. Again, I watched the game via the Tampa affiliate. I personally think Freeman is very talented, but accordingly, confidence in him is waning. If that team bombs early & the problem is the offense, look out. Again, even if you were right, Tampa is just one team. As I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a market for Cousins emerge & I suspect that's what's happening. Doesn't mean I'm right, but for me, I find it more plausible than this other speculative stuff that the media has thrown around. I'm also curious as to why Shanahan hasn't been asked why he's carrying four QBs? Odd, given that it caught everyone by surprise.
rizzy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:

They're hanging onto him because they think some other team is dumb enough to give them a whopping 6th rd draft pick. I would hope this organization would have a little more class than that.

I think they should hold onto him for the fact that if something doesn't materialize they can choose where he goes and not let him sign with someone in the division. Which is just as valuable as a 6th round pick that we could use to choose the next Alfred Morris, so no I don't think an extra pick is worthless. Need to do what's best for the team.
NHL-Capitals
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:

I suppose anything is possible, but after breaking down White's performance v Tampa I just can't see any other team offering something for him. Especially when they all know what you do, which is that the Redskins aren't going to carry 4 QBs for very long. Frankly, treating him in the manner that you suggest would be that of a 2nd rate organization & for what, a selection at the bottom of the draft? It's cheesy & unfair to the player. You cut him so he has a chance to catch on with another team & if you want to use him to mimic Vick or someone else

Except that a team like Philadelphia would sign him for a week leading up to the game only to dump him after a week. They'd just do it to pump his brain for the Redskins playbook and maybe use him for their scout team.

That's life at the bottom of the barrel in the NFL. To be fair to the Redskins, White got a significant chance to demonstrate his abilities, something that no other team offered him in the last three years. If they want to hold him as an insurance policy/prevention of a pump & dump, why not?

Quote:

Again, I doubt Cousins is traded this year. Not because of his value, which should be decent. It's because if a team really needs a QB, this coming draft class looks wonderful. You won't see a team giving a 2014 2nd and a 2015 conditional for Cousins because this won't be a poor year like this past draft.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:
With respect to Kheeston Randall, here's what was written when he was released:
Quote:
"[Kheeston] Randall was not a name I considered when the Dolphins had to trim their roster Saturday night. For starters, he had a solid preseason and training camp. Second, he isn't practice-squad eligible, which means the Dolphins had no chance of reclaiming him after he was cut. But Miami had a lot of depth on its defensive line, and perhaps Randall wonít be missed. Still, he was a solid rotational player who lost his job." http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/64163/miami-dolphins-stock-watch-7

He's nearly 6'5" 310lbs, which is excellent length with the power to match. It's the quickness, that elite explosion that he doesn't have. At Texas they moved him & everyone else all around. I felt, to the detriment of the unit. To my eye, Randall appeared to know exactly what he wanted to do at the NT position. He's a two-gap stacker v run and good enough to force the double over the nose v pass.

Here's the odd thing though: he cleared waivers. No one signed him. Even though half (or nearly that number) of teams run a 3-4, no one made a move for him.

I'm not saying that he isn't worthy of being on a roster, but no one thought him worthy of a roster spot at this juncture. Why not? Perhaps one of the major reasons is that most teams had decided what they were going to do with their team at this point.

Yes, Randall might be a better player overall than Baker, but Baker knows the system and the playbook at this point. Even a guy like Ron Brace (whom I wouldn't bring back) has a leg up on the Redskins over Randall.

Maybe something changes. But right now, Randall's looking for a job and it doesn't seem like many teams are interested. Like I said before, such is life at the bottom of the NFL barrel.

Quote:
I also agree with Gruden with respect to Griffin's status, of course he's going start. For weeks, he's said & done everything he possibly could to make it known that he's ready to play! Recently, Kirk Cousins has done the same thing, both have been as explicitly clear as humanly possible & yet, there's this notion that there's some concern. There's none & thus, doesn't explain why Pat White is on the team.

I hate to be callous about it, but the Redskins owe Kirk Cousins nothing other than what his contract stipulates, the chance to be the #1 clipboard holder and the opportunity to play if something should happen to Griffin. If the Redskins don't get an offer they like for Cousins, he goes nowhere. As I said before, I don't think they'll get an offer they'll like this year because of what this draft class holds.

Quote:
I think they've found something in him & they believe they can groom him to be Griffin's capable backup. How can you not pull for this guy? What a story! He's this high draft pick, a wildcat QB and in his rookie season I think, He's rocked unconscious! His career in a flash, seemingly over. Years later, here he is trying to piece his game back together.

Yes, it's a feel good story.

Quote:
But no, it's all a mirage, the Redskins are just DO_NOT_TRY_TO_BYPASS_THE_SWEAR_FILTER with him.

That's a no-no, mark.

As to your point, he's a 4th string QB in a league where that is incredibly uncommon. Given what like Kheeston Randall and others who just missed the 53-man roster are going through right now, there are worse problems to have.

Quote:
They're hanging onto him because they think some other team is dumb enough to give them a whopping 6th rd draft pick. I would hope this organization would have a little more class than that.

At the same time, they're also saying: "Hey, this kid still has something here and we're holding him because we think he has value in this league. Come talk to us." They've allowed him to demonstrate his abilities to a league that is now looking at fast, mobile QBs in a new light. Is that a classless act? Not in my mind. By doing the surprising and uncommon thing of keeping four QBs, they may have actually heightened his worth.

Think about it: had they dumped Grossman and kept White, people could have written it off as a fail-safe for Griffin, or to keep White under wraps for a year. The rest of the league knows what Grossman's value is: decent for the Redskins, nothing for anyone else. So by keeping White they've created a market for him. Granted it's not going to be a very rich market (like you said, a sixth round pick is more than enough to secure his rights), but it certainly is significantly better than a street free agent who hasn't been in the league for three years.

Quote:
I'm also curious as to why Shanahan hasn't been asked why he's carrying four QBs? Odd, given that it caught everyone by surprise.

Have they had a press conference since they announced the roster? I don't recall hearing about one. Did I miss it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: