Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colin Kaepernick 1 on 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Colin Kaepernick 1 on 1 Reply with quote

Saw this tonight on Fox Sports Live. I live in Modesto, CA, about 20 minutes north of Turlock where Colin grew up. I know quite a bit about the guy and heard his name a lot in this area as he played at Pittman High. This video is a truer statement about who the guy really is. In the video it mentions Camp Taylor. Its an organization based in Salida, CA(Sa-lie-da) not how it is said in the video. It basically is Modesto. Thats how small it is. My wife has a good friend who's son was born with a heart issue and he attends Camp Taylor. Last year during the NFC Championship game they were at our house watching the game and her son was telling me all about how Colin Kaepernick is always at Camp Taylor......the kid was ecstatic, it was amazing to see because as a 29 year old man with a son of my own I realized that I have become jaded by the prototypical athlete that exists in the world of sports.

Kaep has gotten some grief since his ascension to super stardom for his tattoos, his flat billed hat, the Dolphins hat, etc. He has been labled from people that know nothing of the man's past.

I am sure that most of us here know a lot about our guy, but not everyone knows about his work with Camp Taylor. Thought I would post this here because it has a personal atttchment for my family, but really just to give a little more background on Kaep as a person. We dont get to see that side of these guys very often. It's also a well done piece.

Cant wait for this season to start!!!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/topics/m/video/80271699/kaepernick-honors-parents-by-giving-back.htm#q=1+on+1+colin+kaepernick

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Colin Kaepernick 1 on 1 Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
Saw this tonight on Fox Sports Live. I live in Modesto, CA, about 20 minutes north of Turlock where Colin grew up. I know quite a bit about the guy and heard his name a lot in this area as he played at Pittman High. This video is a truer statement about who the guy really is. In the video it mentions Camp Taylor. Its an organization based in Salida, CA(Sa-lie-da) not how it is said in the video. It basically is Modesto. Thats how small it is. My wife has a good friend who's son was born with a heart issue and he attends Camp Taylor. Last year during the NFC Championship game they were at our house watching the game and her son was telling me all about how Colin Kaepernick is always at Camp Taylor......the kid was ecstatic, it was amazing to see because as a 29 year old man with a son of my own I realized that I have become jaded by the prototypical athlete that exists in the world of sports.

Kaep has gotten some grief since his ascension to super stardom for his tattoos, his flat billed hat, the Dolphins hat, etc. He has been labled from people that know nothing of the man's past.

I am sure that most of us here know a lot about our guy, but not everyone knows about his work with Camp Taylor. Thought I would post this here because it has a personal atttchment for my family, but really just to give a little more background on Kaep as a person. We dont get to see that side of these guys very often. It's also a well done piece.

Cant wait for this season to start!!!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/topics/m/video/80271699/kaepernick-honors-parents-by-giving-back.htm#q=1+on+1+colin+kaepernick

If athletes' good deeds were as publicized as their DUIs and tweets, this world would be a... slightly... better place.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
BangBang

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFL already has their "do nothing wrong, All-American" quarterbacks in Robert Griffin and Russell Wilson. But now Griffin's facade is starting to wear off and people are seeing him as he is. I expect Wilson with his cheesy personality, lazy-eyed smile, below average looking wife and "high character" to take the reigns from Griffin in this regard. The media will love him.

Colin Kaepernick is being billed as the bad boy. And while he has a fluff piece here and there, more attention will be paid to his tattoos and bicep kissing. And he HATES the media with their silly questions so that doesn't help his cause.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BangBang wrote:
The NFL already has their "do nothing wrong, All-American" quarterbacks in Robert Griffin and Russell Wilson. But now Griffin's facade is starting to wear off and people are seeing him as he is. I expect Wilson with his cheesy personality, lazy-eyed smile, below average looking wife and "high character" to take the reigns from Griffin in this regard. The media will love him.

Colin Kaepernick is being billed as the bad boy. And while he has a fluff piece here and there, more attention will be paid to his tattoos and bicep kissing. And he HATES the media with their silly questions so that doesn't help his cause.

Must be why Harbaugh liked him so much.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
BangBang wrote:

Part of me thinks this was coached into him by Harbaugh. But really its just a no nonsense kind of attitude. If I were an athlete I would handle the media in a similar fashion. When I hear the questions that are asked by some of these guys I am dumbfounded by it.

Funny thing is Joe Montana was very straight forward with the media. To this day Joe is an extremely private and guarded person, now granted Joe wasnt playing in the digital media era like Kaep is, but its an interesting contrast between the two. Joe could do no wrong and Colin, with some people isnt even given a chance to do wrong.

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
BangBang

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
BangBang wrote:

Part of me thinks this was coached into him by Harbaugh. But really its just a no nonsense kind of attitude. If I were an athlete I would handle the media in a similar fashion. When I hear the questions that are asked by some of these guys I am dumbfounded by it.

Funny thing is Joe Montana was very straight forward with the media. To this day Joe is an extremely private and guarded person, now granted Joe wasnt playing in the digital media era like Kaep is, but its an interesting contrast between the two. Joe could do no wrong and Colin, with some people isnt even given a chance to do wrong.

People just don't like what he represents. Football dinosaurs and "purists" hate seeing dual-threat quarterbacks having success, and when they do, they use cliches like "needs to be more accurate/not enough poise/low floor" etc. It's the reason why when you question people who love Andrew Luck as to why he's better at this point than either Wilson, Kaep or Griffin, you get stupid answers that make no sense. And naturally, the tattoos, hats and touchdown celebration embodies what a lot of ignorant people assume is thuggish behavior. No way a guy like that can have good character or be a leader, right?
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

win a SuperBowl... kthanx

/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Colin Kaepernick 1 on 1 Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
Last year during the NFC Championship game they were at our house watching the game and her son was telling me all about how Colin Kaepernick is always at Camp Taylor......the kid was ecstatic, it was amazing to see because as a 29 year old man with a son of my own I realized that I have become jaded by the prototypical athlete that exists in the world of sports.
Reading this and seeing him play with the kids in this video is heartwarming and I appaud him for this. I have never questioned Kaep being a good guy. I had heard about charities and things he had done before and in front of the media he represents himself well.

When people see a celeb or athlete, I feel like often they see a guy in only one light based off of their actions. They are either a great person or a terrible one. I feel like the fact that they are people that do good and bad things, just like everyone else, is over looked. I do not think that camp Taylor defines Kaep. Just like I dont think wearing shades in doors or being rude to fans about the Dolphins cap defines him. All of that stuff doesnt really matter cause I havent met the guy. I dont know him on a personal level.
Here's an example of what I am trying to say. We all have friends that we like and generally speaking they are good people. They show respect, are polite, fun to be around, ext. but even your closest friends can be [inappropriate/removed] (starts with D and rhymes with Sqwooshy) at times. They might wear shades in doors, or be rude, or eat the last piece of pizza without checking if its cool first. They might become QB of a premiere football team and their head might get a little big. But in the end we forgive them these little flaws because we know that small things like that dont define the person.
We have all eaten the last piece of pizza! And in the end, if I were in his shoes, I might find myself doing some of the things Kaep is doing that make me cringe.

I want to make it clear. I dont care about the tattoos, or flat billed cap. Couldnt careless about them.
Over the summer when Colin wore the Dolphins cap, the fan in me became a little annoyed, but whatever, its cool. What a guy does in his personal life, blah, blah, blah, whatever, im fine with it. The thing that raised my eyebrows was Kaep's reaction to the fans reaction. Honestly, I was disappointed by it. To me, it was disrespectful and seemed rather ungrateful to the people that make his profession possible. Us, the fan is the reason he is going to be rollin in it, in just a few short months. The reason for the fame, for all the hot ladies, fancy cars, stoopid shades, Rolexes, and whatever gaudy crap we indulge ourselves in. He basically told us he doesnt give a [inappropriate/removed] about what we think.

I dont think he owed an explanation or apology for the Dolphins cap. All I expect from Niners players or any pro athlete is that they respect the fans, that is all. If John/Jed York had expressed their distaste for Kaep wearing the Dolphins hat do you think he would have had the same reaction for them?
So after Kaep's reaction I start seeing him in commercials and hearing about the shades thing at the ESPYs. all the while I am thinking, "you ungrateful little butthole..."

anyway, enough jumbled mad rambling.

So, I dont think Kaepernick is a bad guy. I think he is young and has been thrust in the spotlight with a lot of weight on his shoulders, and like us all has room to grow as a person.

please excuse any punctuation or grammatical errors. thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BangBang wrote:

I agree with your point about Wilson being the next poster boy, but don't get the rest.

Quote:
But now Griffin's facade is starting to wear off and people are seeing him as he is.

Don't know what this means. What facade? Seems like a normal, genuine guy.

Quote:
Colin Kaepernick is being billed as the bad boy. And while he has a fluff piece here and there, more attention will be paid to his tattoos and bicep kissing.

When has Kaep ever been billed as the bad boy? I've read and seen nothing but good things about him. He has more tattoos than any other QB so there's gonna be some attention paid to that but the media's never painted him as the bad boy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: