Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Which WRs....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
We've lowered our standards so much for our receivers that as long as they can catch a ball, we're happy.

Just think about that for a few minutes. Wink

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
Ataal wrote:
He was only targeted 119 times in his career. So, those numbers aren't surprising. And, he played for the Titans during a time when they had only one quarterback play for all 16 games in a season. And, none of them were half as good as Kaepernick. I think he's a talented guy that outperformed most of the guys we kept, who also played against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

It's not the end of the world. I just don't understand the indifference or negative opinions of him.

Right - he played for the Titans...where guys like Nate Washington, Damian Williams, and Justin Gage outplayed him. There were seasons when the third string tight end had more yards than Hawkins, and they all had the same shaky QB play. With that in mind, 4 of the 5 guys we kept (Boldin, Moore, Patton, Baldwin), played against first string defenders and made a few plays. The 5th, Williams, did not play in the preseason. Hawkins ONLY went up against 3rd stringers.

And the indifference is simple - in 5 seasons in the NFL, he's been unable to gain more than 700 yards (on a team just about begging for SOME wide receiver to step up), only has one career TD, and his most impressive moments of his career came against players who will be watching their teams' games this year from the comfort of their living room couch.

I'm sorry - I can't be anything more than indifferent to cutting the 8th most productive guy from the 22nd ranked passing offense last year.

You keep going back to those bulk stats. Fact is, he was only targeted 119 times in that time period. I get it, he was low man on the totem pole. On a really bad team, no less. Kyle Williams has very few targets, but comes up with the ball every time it's catchable. Yet, he remains low man on our totem pole every year. Just saying, things aren't always what they seem. Production numbers can't be an entire argument. Way more to it than that.

I'd like to see someone explosive on our team. That's all I'm saying. We've lowered our standards so much for our receivers that as long as they can catch a ball, we're happy. We started seeing something more than that in Crabtree last year with his YAC. Not to mention his catch percentage was near where Fitzgerald's was back in the Warner days. Now he's injured and may not even be here next year. Bleh.

I've said all I wanted to say about this. I think he's a diamond in the rough, but, he's gone. It's a moot point.

And Baldwin might be a diamond in the rough, and Marlon Moore, and Chuck Jacobs, and etc, etc, etc.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually pretty excited about our wr corps personally. I new Patton would produce when given the opportunity, I just didn't know when the coaching staff would put him out there. I think he'll be a big part of our passing game this year. Anquan has proven that he can still get it done, Marlon Moore has always had skills for the receiver position and has shown that he's finally putting it all together. Kyle Williams has been pretty reliable and can break a big play at anytime with his speed. Baldwin is a guy that really excites me, I think we stole him from the Cheifs, he's a guy that can go up and get the ball in the redzone as well as being a deep threat for Kap. It's all a matter of getting on the same page as Kap with Baldwin IMO, once they do that I think that he can be productive as well.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
marvalus386

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy for now with the receivers, Hawkins I mean come on yeah the taunting with the ball but, he had two legitimate penalties, you can't continue to make bonehead mistakes, get more plays than penalties. If I wanted to use the numbers of targets a man get over such a long period of time, I would use it for our own guys. We appear good at receiver, let's put them out there and let them shine or not.
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to be a Negative Nancy after a win, but is anyone else a tad worried about our WR depth. Once teams plan for Boldin better, I'm not confident in what we have behind him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Hate to be a Negative Nancy after a win, but is anyone else a tad worried about our WR depth. Once teams plan for Boldin better, I'm not confident in what we have behind him.

I agree because on that late 4th down play, you can see kaep looking solely for Boldin. Others have to step up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:

Meh... been there. I've stopped worrying. We'll find ways to win, and then lose some, then win some more. I don't feel the other receivers played poorly. It seems the offense was very focused on Boldin, just like the way it was funnelled towards Crabtree last year, using other players often as decoys in order to open up Boldin underneath. I'm actually more optimistic than I could have been last year, because we managed to get a receiver going AND Vernon Davis at the same time. Just imagine when we get the running game going. Everything will be fine. I think Kyle played a pretty good game. People will hold the deep pass he dropped against him, but had the ball not been underthrown (because of the pass rush), it was a TD. He can't really be blamed there. Marlon Moore would also have made a catch if not underthrown. Patton was on the field on one of the big plays, I think it was to VD. We simply don't know if they were underperforming, or if the plays simply weren't designed to get them the ball. If the first and second reads were Boldin and VD, then we have to say we were very successful, weren't we?

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: