Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Titans Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titans0021

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
SerenityNow wrote:
latinoaustino wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
I wish we could get Duke Johnson somehow. Dude is so good.

And yes, I'm aware he's not draft-eligible, but still. Laughing

Melvin Gordon is draft eligible AND he's better than Duke Johnson Wink

I think that Melvin Gordon is going to be a very special player in the NFL. Maybe we'd pull another shocker Chris Johnson esque pick in this year's draft and pick him if he comes out?

I dunno...when I watch Melvin Gordon I see Chris Johnson with a little more power and less speed. Not sure if I care for that. Duke runs tougher than either of them, and that's what I like about him.

As a Badgers fan, I guess I can kind of see the comparison if we're talking about early CJ. Just based on the burst and quickness in the feet. But today's CJ, not really comparable. Gordon has good patience, but he hits holes hard and sheds arm tackle better than CJ ever has.

I've seen very, very few backs that have the combination of power and home run hitting ability that Gordon has. It really is incredible to watch him run week in and week out. Rarely goes down on first contact and has such fluid movement that when a crease opens up, he almost never misses it.

If he was to come out this year, I wouldn't necessarily want him in the first simply because I have no interest in taking a RB in the first round ever. But if he was sitting there in the second, I'd have no problem with it. Kid is going to be a stud.

Also (in Superman shirt):

Adopted Titans - Sammie Lee Hill and Jackie Battle
SerenityNow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
SerenityNow wrote:
latinoaustino wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
I wish we could get Duke Johnson somehow. Dude is so good.

And yes, I'm aware he's not draft-eligible, but still. Laughing

Melvin Gordon is draft eligible AND he's better than Duke Johnson Wink

I think that Melvin Gordon is going to be a very special player in the NFL. Maybe we'd pull another shocker Chris Johnson esque pick in this year's draft and pick him if he comes out?

I dunno...when I watch Melvin Gordon I see Chris Johnson with a little more power and less speed. Not sure if I care for that. Duke runs tougher than either of them, and that's what I like about him.

As a Badgers fan, I guess I can kind of see the comparison if we're talking about early CJ. Just based on the burst and quickness in the feet. But today's CJ, not really comparable. Gordon has good patience, but he hits holes hard and sheds arm tackle better than CJ ever has.

I've seen very, very few backs that have the combination of power and home run hitting ability that Gordon has. It really is incredible to watch him run week in and week out. Rarely goes down on first contact and has such fluid movement that when a crease opens up, he almost never misses it.

If he was to come out this year, I wouldn't necessarily want him in the first simply because I have no interest in taking a RB in the first round ever. But if he was sitting there in the second, I'd have no problem with it. Kid is going to be a stud.

Also (in Superman shirt):

As a Badgers fan, titans0021 what do you think the odds are that Melvin comes out this year?

Credit to Sandwich for the signature!
2013 Adopt-A-Titan: Delanie Walker & Delanie Walker
titans0021

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As a Badgers fan, titans0021 what do you think the odds are that Melvin comes out this year?
From what I've heard, sounds like the odds are pretty good. Wish they weren't since I think UW could make a real run next year with him, but I get the feeling he understands that, as a running back, he needs to get the NFL as quick as possible rather than taking a ton of hits in college.

If he finishes the year like he should, takes home Big Ten OPOY and is named an All-American, can't envision him getting anything worse than a second round grade from the draft committee and that would probably be enough to have him leave. Unless he loves UW enough to stick around and make a run at a Heisman next year.

-Hope-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was definitely comparing to old CJ, not current CJ. I just feel like they move similarly, and for Gordon's size (and jacked-ness Laughing) I don't feel like I see a ton of physicality when he runs.

And obviously I'm a Cane, so I'm definitely biased- Duke has a special place in my heart. You could argue that if there's one single player who has sparked the resurgence of our football program, it's him. But I just love the tenacity with which he runs. For a smaller guy, he's unbelievably tough and can pound it between the tackles with the best of them, but he's also shifty and lightning-quick.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could do worse than old CJ. Laughing

But yeah, I feel like Melvin's huge, highlight runs overshadow the consistency that he brings. Rarely gets tackled on first contact and fights for five yard runs often. Not sure he has more six or seven negative yardage runs this season.

I'm definitely biased when it comes to Gordon, but as a pro prospect, he impresses me a lot more than Montee Ball ever did.

latinoaustino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
Was definitely comparing to old CJ, not current CJ. I just feel like they move similarly, and for Gordon's size (and jacked-ness Laughing) I don't feel like I see a ton of physicality when he runs.

And obviously I'm a Cane, so I'm definitely biased- Duke has a special place in my heart. You could argue that if there's one single player who has sparked the resurgence of our football program, it's him. But I just love the tenacity with which he runs. For a smaller guy, he's unbelievably tough and can pound it between the tackles with the best of them, but he's also shifty and lightning-quick.

I'm a Badger so I'm biased as well Laughing I've never seen Melvin not break at least one tackle or push a pile at the end of his runs.

Adopt A Titan

Alterraun Verner and Scott Solomon
TiTaN NaTioN!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so we're just over the halfway point. Where do you rank the positions of need?

I will start by saying that if they resign Pollard and fire Jerry Gray, I think it will lessen the need of a CB/S. From what I have seen, the DB play seems to be better when Williams is calling the plays. Hell, the entire defense seems to play better when Williams is calling the shots. So with that said....

1. OT/DT - I'm torn between the two, mainly because of the OL play recently. I believe that Stewart won't be retained after this year and Otto doesn't look like a starter. However, if McCullers is there when we pick, I think we should jump all over it. Having a true run stopper and a guy that can take multiple blocks like he does and still make plays is a must get for this defense. Getting him will eliminate the need for a pure pass rusher because he can free everyone else up. If we take him in the first then we go OT in the 2nd.

2. OT/DL - Depends on who we take in the 1st.

4. TE - Hoping either ASJ or that kid from UNC falls to us.
PSN: J-SLeeZY87
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Roos looked bad today in pass-pro. The speedy rushers give him problems. Stewart can't even practice anymore. If replace Stewart this offseason with a RT but who has the potential to play LT to replace Roos in the future. Kind of like how the Jags and Chiefs did with Joeckel and Fisher. Also even though he had a big day, I think it's time to did ourselves of CJ after this season. Take the cap hit and do away with him. If we resign Pollard and Verner, our needs are.....

1.) DE
2.) OT
3.) MLB
4.) RB
5.) DT
6.) WR
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading into the season, I didn't think we'd draft an OT in the first but now I could see it. Stewart's days are numbered and Roos while still good, has taken a slight step back. Like ttf4l said, it'd be ideal if we could get a OT who could play a year or two before RT before making a transition to LT.

Also, while many people would hate it, I still wouldn't mind us drafting Eric Ebron. Maybe because he's my biggest "draft crush" so far this year.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:
Heading into the season, I didn't think we'd draft an OT in the first but now I could see it. Stewart's days are numbered and Roos while still good, has taken a slight step back. Like ttf4l said, it'd be ideal if we could get a OT who could play a year or two before RT before making a transition to LT.

Also, while many people would hate it, I still wouldn't mind us drafting Eric Ebron. Maybe because he's my biggest "draft crush" so far this year.

I am hoping we draft Ebron. Not many agree with us but he's an athletic mismatch for anyone to cover and is incredibly strong with the potential to be on the field every down. I like Delanie Walker as a blocker and he is an alright receiver, but he is not the mismatch that is going to provide Locker a play-making threat on every down.

It's hard to find athletic tight ends who can do it all.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
TitanSlim wrote:

I am hoping we draft Ebron. Not many agree with us but he's an athletic mismatch for anyone to cover and is incredibly strong with the potential to be on the field every down. I like Delanie Walker as a blocker and he is an alright receiver, but he is not the mismatch that is going to provide Locker a play-making threat on every down.

It's hard to find athletic tight ends who can do it all.

This is how I feel. Delanie Walker is a very good TE but I feel Ebron could be a difference maker at TE. Also with our potential need at WR, Ebron would help fill that need.

Here's a good article on Ebron.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2013/futures-unc-te-eric-ebron
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiTaN NaTioN!! wrote:
Ok, so we're just over the halfway point. Where do you rank the positions of need?

I will start by saying that if they resign Pollard and fire Jerry Gray, I think it will lessen the need of a CB/S. From what I have seen, the DB play seems to be better when Williams is calling the plays. Hell, the entire defense seems to play better when Williams is calling the shots. So with that said....

That's just thing though, nobody truly knows when the defensive effort is Williams fault or Grey's. People have started to just assume that when things work, it was Williams, when it doesn't it was Grey. That's flawed thinking. Its been a collaborative effort all year. Blaine Bishop and Kevin Dyson mentioned this after the game. Only Munch, the defensive staff and the defensive players know what Grey has added that works vs. what Williams has added. Assuming otherwise is unfair to both men.

**RIP Steve McNair**
titanrick

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
That's just thing though, nobody truly knows when the defensive effort is Williams fault or Grey's. People have started to just assume that when things work, it was Williams, when it doesn't it was Grey. That's flawed thinking. Its been a collaborative effort all year. Blaine Bishop and Kevin Dyson mentioned this after the game. Only Munch, the defensive staff and the defensive players know what Grey has added that works vs. what Williams has added. Assuming otherwise is unfair to both men.

Agreed. It's not the first time this has happened either. Back when Dinger first joined us, people attributed every successful play to his genius and every failed rushing attempt to Fisher forcing him to run the play. It got to be a bit ridiculous.

The interesting thing after this year will be if other teams come calling for Gregg as a DC. Do we let Gray go and promote Gregg to keep him (that would be my preference at this point) or does he go because of Munch's loyalty to Gray and not being willing to fire him after such an enormous defensive improvement?

Congrats, Seahawk fans!

Last edited by titanrick on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
TiTaN NaTioN!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
TiTaN NaTioN!! wrote:

Gregg Williams is smart enough to not have Casey drop back and cover Cook. That looked like some Gray crap right there. I know some will say that it was one play, but I also seen a lot of more zone than what we usually do. The same kind of zone that we saw last year that led to one of the worst defenses ever and the same kind of zone that let Clemens dink and dunk on us all day.
PSN: J-SLeeZY87
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiTaN NaTioN!! wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:
TiTaN NaTioN!! wrote:

Gregg Williams is smart enough to not have Casey drop back and cover Cook. That looked like some Gray crap right there. I know some will say that it was one play, but I also seen a lot of more zone than what we usually do. The same kind of zone that we saw last year that led to one of the worst defenses ever and the same kind of zone that let Clemens dink and dunk on us all day.

Sounds like a zone blitz to me. which is a staple of Greg Williams's defensive scheme. The concept is simple, you drop the linemen in coverage in hopes of confusing the pre-snap protection read, then you blitz trying to get quick pressure and force the QB into a bad throw or to a quick check down into an area, which is where you drop your linemen. If that play results in a sack, or Casey knocking down or picking off a pass because Clemon's wasn't expecting a lineman in coverage, then you're likely praising Williams for his creativity. Instead it didn't so its some 'Grey crap'.

**RIP Steve McNair**

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 9 of 54

Jump to: