Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is there a Joker in the deck?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neauone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Is there a Joker in the deck? Reply with quote

For all the hoopla surrounding our beloved Jets and the ever lasting question of whom will be the day one starter.
Through all the speculation and intimidation and hyperbole of will it be Mark, Geno, the strong armed Simms or weak armed but genius McElroy.
Here is a question we all must ask ourselves?

Is there a Joker in the deck, I mean are any of these players even going to be on the Jets roster in 2 years?
I read numerous articles, tweets, and videos on "POTENTIAL", but there are some minor conclusions we can draw from all this.
1. Sanchez at seasons end will no longer be a Jet.
2. Geno could be unseated in the 2014 draft if the Jets think there is a true franchise QB available and they wind up with a top 5 pick
3. McElroy's days are numbered
4. Simms at this point in his career is still an unknown commodity.
I mean can we truly judge his potential based on the fact he played against 2nd and 3rd stringers?
So 2 years from now there is a very good possibility the QB steering this Jets team is not in this current bunch.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if Teddy Bridgewater is there at our pick, they won't draft a QB next year. Besides the fact that the media would have Idzik's head, you don't give up on a 2nd round QB after one year. Not to mention that next year's draft class is extremely strong and we could fill other needs while continuing to develop Geno.

Props to JMG on the sig
Davey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
I don't care if Teddy Bridgewater is there at our pick, they won't draft a QB next year. Besides the fact that the media would have Idzik's head, you don't give up on a 2nd round QB after one year. Not to mention that next year's draft class is extremely strong and we could fill other needs while continuing to develop Geno.

I hope you're right.

Personally I'm a little baffled by this attitude where because a quarterback taken in the second round is easier to dispose if necessary, people almost seem in a rush to dispose of him.

If you're not willing to be patient with Geno Smith, or any second round quarterback, don't take them at all. Because they're drafted there for a reason. They need time.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

I hope you're right.

Personally I'm a little baffled by this attitude where because a quarterback taken in the second round is easier to dispose if necessary, people almost seem in a rush to dispose of him.

If you're not willing to be patient with Geno Smith, or any second round quarterback, don't take them at all. Because they're drafted there for a reason. They need time.
Exactly. Plus looking at next year, we'll more than likely have a top 10 pick. We won't be bad enough to get Clowney (more than likely), but we could snag someone like Marquise Lee, Sammy Watkins, hell even Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Give Geno some weapons and see how he develops.

Props to JMG on the sig
KBS756

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a Joker in the deck? Reply with quote

neauone wrote:
For all the hoopla surrounding our beloved Jets and the ever lasting question of whom will be the day one starter.
Through all the speculation and intimidation and hyperbole of will it be Mark, Geno, the strong armed Simms or weak armed but genius McElroy.
Here is a question we all must ask ourselves?

Is there a Joker in the deck, I mean are any of these players even going to be on the Jets roster in 2 years?
I read numerous articles, tweets, and videos on "POTENTIAL", but there are some minor conclusions we can draw from all this.
1. Sanchez at seasons end will no longer be a Jet.
2. Geno could be unseated in the 2014 draft if the Jets think there is a true franchise QB available and they wind up with a top 5 pick
3. McElroy's days are numbered
4. Simms at this point in his career is still an unknown commodity.
I mean can we truly judge his potential based on the fact he played against 2nd and 3rd stringers?
So 2 years from now there is a very good possibility the QB steering this Jets team is not in this current bunch.

First for "Genius" Greg McElroy ... he may pick up a playbook fast, but in actual game action he plays like he's still at Alabama ... Holds the ball too long, doesn't throw it unless he thinks its completely wide open... takes too many hits and sacks

As for Mark we all know what he is and he doesn't have a long term future here.

Geno ... we just drafted the guy, spent a high 2nd round draft pick on him ... can we stop acting as if he turned himself into Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell... he deserves and will get his fair chance and he probably will have growing pains but he is a long term possibility here.

Simms... There has to be a reason he went undrafted but he really has been improving and showing something albeit against backups but still he has the potential to be at the very least a good back up who knows if Geno doesn't pan out maybe Simms can be a starter personally much higher chance then McElroy has.

All things said Geno deserves his chance and Simms has earned a chance if Geno falters ... lets not jump the gun here we probably don't have a top 5 and possibly top 10 pick if our D plays like it could and our offense manages to even move the ball in a below average way. I really doubt we're gonna have an offense like we did towards the end last year with No Hill, No Holmes, No Keller, No Idea W T H was going on in Sporanos mind. if we stay somewhat healthy and show ability to move the ball and once in a while put it in the end zone we are better then we were last year and we possibly don't have a top 10 pick
ukjets21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:

Cam Newton for Jimmy Clausen proves that teams do give up on 2nd round QB's. Geno would have to be terrible but we can't rule it out.

Adopt a Jet: Sheldon Richardson

Tackles - 77
Sacks - 3.5
Forced Fumbles - 1
4 Carries - 4 Yards - 2 TDs
Malik

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukjets21 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

Cam Newton for Jimmy Clausen proves that teams do give up on 2nd round QB's. Geno would have to be terrible but we can't rule it out.

Yup. If some QB comes out and has an all-world Heisman year this upcoming season people wouldn't be surprised if the Jets picked another QB unless Geno's rookie year is like Andy Dalton or better.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
ukjets21 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

Yup. If some QB comes out and has an all-world Heisman year this upcoming season people wouldn't be surprised if the Jets picked another QB unless Geno's rookie year is like Andy Dalton or better.

And considering how team friendly rookie deals are now with the wage scale, you can certainly take a QB within the first round and not pay much of a financial price for it, compared to how it was before the new CBA. That's why if we are in position to draft a potential franchise QB in the first next year, I certainly wouldn't mind it. Plus, if we do draft a QB then best case scenario, we have an RGIII/Cousins situation where if a starter went down we would have a pretty good backup, who could perhaps dangle for trade bait.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to rookie players, I'm starting to lean towards the line of thinking that they either pass the eyeball test or they don't. Take for example players the Jets have drafted recently like Muhammed Wilkerson, or for that matter Jeremy Kerley. They don't come into the league as polished pros, they don't put up incredible stats as rookies, but they flash enough in their first several games to stay in the lineup, and then you see their game progress as the season goes along to the point you know they're going to be good.

The QB position is a little more complicated to evaluate because there are so many factors of the team that impact the ability of a QB to succeed, but Istill think we'll have a good idea about Smith by the end of the year. It's not that he has to take the world by storm, but he'll either demonstrate enough positive play to cause everyone to tolerate the inevitable mistakes and reduce those mistakes towards the end of the season, or he won't.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith is going to be a Jet for several years. You'd have to be a fool to give up on his physical talents because he's struggled as a rookie.

Having said that, there is no more important position than QB. If Geno doesn't give the impression that he's definitely going to be the guy, I see nothing wrong with drafting another QB and trying to develop two guys at the position. You only have so many chances to draft a top flight QB so if you don't already have one (or aren't sure if you do), you keep trying to get one.

As far as the other QB's on the roster, Simms is a guy they have to keep. I don't care that he went undrafted or that he was playing against backups. He flashed potential and showed a true NFL arm. He's earned a roster spot.

- Cliff Burton
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Jets have the opportunity to draft Bridgewater next season, they will and should do it. It will require a top 3 pick and if Geno has a Sanchez esque rookie season and we end up there, it's the right move. And if Geno in his second year doesn't beat out the rookie then he's either not that good or we simply found someone better. I don't know about you guys, but having two promising QBs is one of the only problems I want to have. But I really hope Geno renders this irrelevant.
Davey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasibly, Smith could struggle all season and still show tools enough to decide to build around him long term. If we're going to take a quarterback over Clowney(if available obviously), we better damn sure feel that Smith isn't our guy long term and that the quarterback we're taking is.

I feel like the Jets brass really like Geno Smith as the future. That's easy to say now, but what I mean more is that a rocky rookie season isn't going to deter them from continuing to build around him, outside of an incredibly bad rookie display. Obviously, we will know more once he starts playing games for real on making a judgment on that. You can still usually tell if a player deserves more time or not even if the numbers aren't pretty and I'm sure Smith will be no different.

Smith like all quarterbacks needs time, confidence, talent around him and consistency. Let's give him all four.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Sanchez and Smith their rookie years, the main difference between them, apart for playing in different offensive systems, is that Smith did have an edge in terms of experience over Sanchez. Smith started what, 3 seasons at WVU? Sanchez only had one season as the starter at USC.

While I expect Smith to struggle because he is adapting to the NFL and playing in a new system, I do think he has the tools to be a great QB for us. And while his college O is vastly different from our WCO, his game experience should help him and is one edge he has over a rookie Sanchez.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
Bianconero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I'm sorry but if we have the opportunity to draft Bridgewater then we do it 10/10.

Geno needs to have a Wilson type season in order for me to change my mind. Forget about "showing" flashes and stuff like that.

When a rare and elite prospect comes out and your football team who has needed a quarterback since it's inception has the opportunity to get him, you get him.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:
lol I'm sorry but if we have the opportunity to draft Bridgewater then we do it 10/10.

Geno needs to have a Wilson type season in order for me to change my mind. Forget about "showing" flashes and stuff like that.

When a rare and elite prospect comes out and your football team who has needed a quarterback since it's inception has the opportunity to get him, you get him.

I agree, but mainly because if we are in a position to pick Bridgewater it's because we are picking #1 and Geno must have sucked in his limited action. Then it's fine having one of the best QBs to ever come out of college to compete with Geno. I'd rather have Geno play out of his mind and have Bridgewater on the bench and have a Rivers/Brees situation than pass on Bridge and Geno falters.

We need WRs though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: