Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets expected to make rookie Geno Smith the starting QB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Does Smith's play alone, not the others around him, warrant him starting? ... Has Smith truly won the job or he is starting by default?

Did Kaepernick earn the job or did he get his chance based on an Alex Smith injury? What about Tom Brady?

I don't think he'll turn out like either of them, I think he'll flop, but the point remains. Not all guys who get a chance to start earn it, and just because they haven't earned it didn't mean they can't make the most of it or they shouldn't get that opportunity.

Geno isnt ready. At this point in time, does he give you the best chance to win or are you starting him because you drafted him relatively high?

Kaepernick despite not playing had a year of experience. Geno needs to sit for a year. Tom Brady the same as well. They were more ready. And who were the other back ups on their respected teams?

This, to be honest.

Kaepernick wasn't ready to start when he first entered the league, and I see the same kind of potential from him as Geno. Hopefully for the Jets, they don't mess up his development or confidence by starting him this early.

Geno isn't on the same planet as Kaepernick mentally.

What? how do you figure that? His mechanics and football knowledge is probably more advanced coming out...both QB's ran exciting fast paced Offenses coming out of school.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Does Smith's play alone, not the others around him, warrant him starting? ... Has Smith truly won the job or he is starting by default?

Did Kaepernick earn the job or did he get his chance based on an Alex Smith injury? What about Tom Brady?

I don't think he'll turn out like either of them, I think he'll flop, but the point remains. Not all guys who get a chance to start earn it, and just because they haven't earned it didn't mean they can't make the most of it or they shouldn't get that opportunity.

Comparing the two doesn't really work. Look at what Kaepernick had to work with when he came into starting position. One of the best RB's in the game, the best TE in the game, a fringe top 10 WR who became better with Kaep throwing to him, and one of the most dominant 49er defenses in franchise history.

What does Geno Smith have? Nothing. Nothing at all. That roster is pretty much devoid of any big names and any talent. No skill position players are top 10 on the ENTIRE TEAM. That's bad. Even Jacksonville has MJD.

The point is, Geno Smith is being thrown into a dumpster fire of a situation if he starts now. It's not at all like Kaepernick. Beyond that I think Kaepernick is a better player anyway. He has elite speed from 0-60yds and can outrun even some RB's in the league. I've really never seen anything like it. He reminds me of a better version of the college Vince Young.
green24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex, Idzik, and Mornhinweg are all in favor of Geno starting, regardless of whether or not Sanchez is healthy.

LINK[/url]
KBS756

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love how any Jets news and we get flamed as if things for us are gonna be worst in the league ...

Geno has all of 1 real preseason game ... he did make some rookie mistakes but he is a rookie, and he flashed some real talent and physical ability that the stat line won't show. Also doesn't show a couple drops by receivers.

Hell Andrew luck came out and threw 3 Picks in his first regular season game and people didn't kill him over it.

Geno has the talent and we have a better OC then last year and in general are better then we were the middle of last year with all the injuries we had.

Hope Geno lights it up to prove all of you naysayers wrong
reckless123

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Geno isnt ready. At this point in time, does he give you the best chance to win or are you starting him because you drafted him relatively high?

Kaepernick despite not playing had a year of experience. Geno needs to sit for a year. Tom Brady the same as well. They were more ready. And who were the other back ups on their respected teams?

This, to be honest.

Kaepernick wasn't ready to start when he first entered the league, and I see the same kind of potential from him as Geno. Hopefully for the Jets, they don't mess up his development or confidence by starting him this early.

Geno is more pro-ready than Kaep was when he was drafted. Thats said Geno needs to sit. Hes not in the same situation.

"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno will be fine. He'll learn from his mistakes and at least become a great game manager type. We just need our ground game to help take some of the pressure of him.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

This, to be honest.

Geno is more pro-ready than Kaep was when he was drafted. Thats said Geno needs to sit. Hes not in the same situation.

I'm not convinced that sitting players typically helps their development more, rather that just making their career stats look better later on and not dragging the team record down for a year or two. The Jets don't really have a good QB that is going to take them this year. I think what really matters is whether the Jets OL can hold together enough for Geno to not take a beating. Harder to learn when you're being smashed into the dirt non-stop like David Carr.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

This, to be honest.

I'm not convinced that sitting players typically helps their development more, rather that just making their career stats look better later on and not dragging the team record down for a year or two. The Jets don't really have a good QB that is going to take them this year. I think what really matters is whether the Jets OL can hold together enough for Geno to not take a beating. Harder to learn when you're being smashed into the dirt non-stop like David Carr.

The difference between Kaepernick and Geno is that one is being handled by Jim Harbaugh and the other Rex Ryan. Jim Harbaugh is the smartest man in football. Rex Ryan has failed to put together an offensive staff.

People underestimate the importance of putting players in a position to succeed.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Its unfair to compare the two. Kaepernick was able to sit for a year and a half, Smith is being forced to start immediately. As you stated, Harbaugh has a history of success with QBs going back to the University of San Diego. What does Ryan and the Jets staff know about Qbs.
green24

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
^ Its unfair to compare the two. Kaepernick was able to sit for a year and a half, Smith is being forced to start immediately. As you stated, Harbaugh has a history of success with QBs going back to the University of San Diego. What does Ryan and the Jets staff know about Qbs.

Marty Mornhinweg and David Lee have a lot of experience with QBs.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Marty Mornhinweg and David Lee have a lot of experience with QBs.

Sure he does. Though I always wonder how much was it really about Mornhinweg and not the surrounding coaches and talent around him. He is probably best known for coaching stints in San Francisco and Philadelphia. Both those teams were mostly established with QBs or head coaches in place known for having success with QBs. His stint with the Lions was a mess.

I guess I am not too fond of Mornhinweg but will see.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: