Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets expected to make rookie Geno Smith the starting QB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atari-XXX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to pick up the Bucs D and start them in Week One of my Fantasy league. Laughing
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we flex Jets/Bills to week one?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jets know what they have in Sanchez, which isn't much. I'd rather roll with Geno and see what I have 6 weeks into the season than deal with more typical QB play from Sanchez. We don't know what Smith's ceiling is as a quarterback, but you drafted the man and paid him to be your (eventual) starter, so you might as well find out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope Geno takes the job and never looks back.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

organ donor wrote:
Hope Geno takes the job and never looks back.

For the jets sake, i hope he does

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Does Smith's play alone, not the others around him, warrant him starting? ... Has Smith truly won the job or he is starting by default?

Did Kaepernick earn the job or did he get his chance based on an Alex Smith injury? What about Tom Brady?

I don't think he'll turn out like either of them, I think he'll flop, but the point remains. Not all guys who get a chance to start earn it, and just because they haven't earned it didn't mean they can't make the most of it or they shouldn't get that opportunity.

Geno isnt ready. At this point in time, does he give you the best chance to win or are you starting him because you drafted him relatively high?

Kaepernick despite not playing had a year of experience. Geno needs to sit for a year. Tom Brady the same as well. They were more ready. And who were the other back ups on their respected teams?

"Champagne"..."Mountain Range"..."Hugs".
Malik

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:
The Jets know what they have in Sanchez, which isn't much. I'd rather roll with Geno and see what I have 6 weeks into the season than deal with more typical QB play from Sanchez. We don't know what Smith's ceiling is as a quarterback, but you drafted the man and paid him to be your (eventual) starter, so you might as well find out.

Mhmm. I have no idea why people are assuming Sanchez is more capable right now considering he's been a consensus bottom 3 QB his entire career in the NFL. So even in the worst case scenario that Geno is worse it won't be much of a drop in quality at the position.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Does Smith's play alone, not the others around him, warrant him starting? ... Has Smith truly won the job or he is starting by default?

Did Kaepernick earn the job or did he get his chance based on an Alex Smith injury? What about Tom Brady?

I don't think he'll turn out like either of them, I think he'll flop, but the point remains. Not all guys who get a chance to start earn it, and just because they haven't earned it didn't mean they can't make the most of it or they shouldn't get that opportunity.

Geno isnt ready. At this point in time, does he give you the best chance to win or are you starting him because you drafted him relatively high?

Kaepernick despite not playing had a year of experience. Geno needs to sit for a year. Tom Brady the same as well. They were more ready. And who were the other back ups on their respected teams?

This, to be honest.

Kaepernick wasn't ready to start when he first entered the league, and I see the same kind of potential from him as Geno. Hopefully for the Jets, they don't mess up his development or confidence by starting him this early.

Nacho Simulation Football League
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

This, to be honest.

Kaepernick wasn't ready to start when he first entered the league, and I see the same kind of potential from him as Geno. Hopefully for the Jets, they don't mess up his development or confidence by starting him this early.

Geno isn't on the same planet as Kaepernick mentally.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Flacco wasn't really ready to start when he was forced into it due to an injury to Boller and Troy Smith getting really sick.

Sometimes, things don't go as planned. Geno is a relatively high pick, and the best option for the Jets. I don't see an issue with him starting, honestly. I think it'd hurt his confidence more if the team brought in some random off the streets and named him the starter. than if he starts and struggles.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
Well, yeah.

Do they have another option?

Matt Simms went 33 of 44 for 285 yards today against the Eagles back-ups and they signed Graham Harrell. Greg McElroy is also on the roster but he's apparently injured.

Sims might be better than Geno at this point actually.

Oh come on the Eagles starting D is pretty pathetic so I can't imagine what the backups are like. Sims had a solid preseason playing against mostly backups though.

Sims first throw was right into the arms of the Eagles DB who just dropped it then two plays later took a safety. He's earned the 3rd string QB role but his play against the backups of an already bad D is not going to propel him to be the starter.

Graham Harrell probably would have looked good too should they have played him against that D. Geno is clearly the better prospect and while there will be a learning curve he should be the starter.

Man as the old saying goes "the backup QB is the most popular guy in town" couldn't be more evident here.

Geno is the guy. . . let's see what you got and let him take his lumps. The Jets aren't winning the superbowl so give the guy you expect to be your future go out and learn on the fly.

If Geno knows the full play book then he's the guy. The only reason not to play him would be if he's not 100% which doesn't appear to be the case. He's going to make mistakes cause opposing D's are going to throw stuff at him that he's never seen in college like Tuck dropping into coverage but that's how you learn by doing. Sims might be able to get the Jets another win or 2 on the standings but this is a developmental year and Geno is the guy they are clearly trying to develop for the future (whether it's right or wrong he's their guy of the future).
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, at this point I think it's best Sanchez got hurt. I rather see Geno start and just take his lumps as a rookie signal caller. Might as well find out what he can do this year. Some QBs are better off sitting to develop the first year or two, ala Aaron Rodgers, but now we don't have that luxury.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
Dubyajay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:

Mhmm. I have no idea why people are assuming Sanchez is more capable right now considering he's been a consensus bottom 3 QB his entire career in the NFL. So even in the worst case scenario that Geno is worse it won't be much of a drop in quality at the position.
Because if you don't give rookie QB's time to let the game slow down for them, more times than not you'll ruin them.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah because Sanchez never throws INTs. Geno wasn't as bad in his start as people think.

Plenty of rookie QBs struggled in preseason and then went onto having a good rookie season. Geno had better numbers this summer than Sanchez in practices, the ankle screwed things up a bit so he only had 1 real preseason game. I hope he comes out week 1 and does well.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:

Because people want controversy and something to laugh about. Look at ESPN's worst of the worst today.

One is they are blasting Rex for playing Sanchez in that preseason game, because all of a sudden hes this great QB that wasn't competing for the job.

Then the next is showing that same QB doing the famous "butt fumble" play. So which is it?

Props to El Ramster on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: