Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Question of the Day: Keep Two QB's or Three?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Question of the Day: Keep Two QB's or Three? Reply with quote

Is McLeod Bethel-Thompson a lock to go into the season as your third-string quarterback? Would you go into the regular season with just two quarterbacks? Is that something you'd be comfortable with, particularly if Joe Webb made the team as a wide receiver?

Frazier: “I wouldn't say lock, but he has a strong possibility. But not a lock, no. There are a lot of potential ways that can go. We're going to discuss all those scenarios after the final preseason game. We'll come back Friday as we go through those final cuts and put it all on the table to figure out what's best.”

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23955493/vikings-adrian-peterson-will-miss-jerome-felton-coach

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a reason to carry a third qb. It's impractical and MBT doesn't really intrigue me as a developmental qb. Put him on the practice squad and save the roster spot for a more useful position. If Webb makes the team as a wr he can be the emergency third qb anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should only carry two quarterbacks, and put Bethel-Thompson on the practice squad. But Frazier, Musgrave, and the coaching staff are traditional, conforming, and have an antiquated view on football. So I would expect them to follow the crowd and continue to waste that roster spot.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's an odd and useless factoid:

Third string QB Mcleod Bethel Thompson’s grandfather Wilbur Thompson won a gold medal at the 1948 Olympic Games in the shotput.

http://www.bringmethenews.com/2013/07/24/7-stunning-facts-from-the-2013-vikings-media-guide/

Webmaster wrote:
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming MBT has PS eligibility left, so I agree with that sentiment, put him on the PS and let him develop, I think he has some upside, maybe in a year or two, a solid #2 QB, but fewer and fewer teams are caring three, so I'd leave the spot open, could be the spot used to keep Webb as WR6. Then we'd have a pseudo back-up QB if really needed for one week.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing that teams would be lining up to grab MBT since I'd guess a third of the league only carries two qbs. There should be more qbs available due to the elimination of the third qb rule. All third string players need to contribute in another way outside of there primary position. It's not like we're going to run Mbt out there on the coverage team. Webb could probably do it, in addition to being a wr and qb.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess it comes down to whether the execs think MBT would take over for Cassell at #2 some day.

is Cassell on more than a one year contract?

Webmaster wrote:
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They should only carry two quarterbacks, and put Bethel-Thompson on the practice squad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have enough bad QBs on the roster as it is. I'll never understand why a team would carry a third QB.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
i guess it comes down to whether the execs think MBT would take over for Cassell at #2 some day.

Couldn't have said it better

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd have to be a lot more secure about your starting QB than the Vikings should be if your discussion is between Cassel and Bethel-Thompson. Especially when looking at this team knowing there's a pretty good chance the back-up QB is going to see some time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
They have enough bad QBs on the roster as it is. I'll never understand why a team would carry a third QB.

Somebody has to run the scout team...and it ain't the backup QB. The concern I have with not carrying a 3rd QB is the injury factor. Both Ponder and Cassel have durability issues. Even so, why not keep MBT on the roster, he'll be inactive every week anyway unless there's an injury to either Ponder or Cassel? Anyone else you put in that slot is inactive too, so it doesn't really make all that great of a difference.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
this providence wrote:

Somebody has to run the scout team...and it ain't the backup QB. The concern I have with not carrying a 3rd QB is the injury factor. Both Ponder and Cassel have durability issues. Even so, why not keep MBT on the roster, he'll be inactive every week anyway unless there's an injury to either Ponder or Cassel? Anyone else you put in that slot is inactive too, so it doesn't really make all that great of a difference.

You can put a qb on the practice squad to be the third qb. In the event of injuries, Webb can go back to qb. Musgrave seems open to this idea and hasn't completely closed the idea of being a qb. If you want a qb for the purposes of scout team reps, why use a roster spot on this role?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

is Cassell on more than a one year contract?

There is technically a second year in the deal that would pay Cassel about $4 million in 2014 if both sides want him to return as a backup, as Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com notes. But Cassel could void the deal or the Vikings could release him with no further salary-cap hit.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nfcnorth&id=54413&src=desktop
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
You can put a qb on the practice squad to be the third qb. In the event of injuries, Webb can go back to qb. Musgrave seems open to this idea and hasn't completely closed the idea of being a qb. If you want a qb for the purposes of scout team reps, why use a roster spot on this role?

That may end up being the ultimate decision, and probably would be the best decision. However, would I be upset or surprised if they kept MBT on the roster as the 3rd QB, no. It's the end of the roster and that spot would only likely be going to a strictly ST player (and a poor replacement to any starter). So, to me, it's not that much of a concern one way or the other.

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: