Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rookies preseason grades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Rookies preseason grades Reply with quote

Steelers Rookie Report Card

I know not many like Bleacher Report but there article gave me the urge to post it to get some feed back.

1. Jarvis Jones - While he didn't have any sacks he played well in all other areas. JJ just is a "Johnny on the Spot" type of player. The honest truth is that you can't teach instincts and JJ has that. JJ is really forcing the Steelers hand because he obviously does things defensively that Worilds cannot. I really don't see a lot of sacks from JJ this year, but I believe as a OLB he's going to be more then just sacks.

Draft Grade B/B+
Preason Grade B

2. Le'Veon Bell - Bell has his critics because of his so/so production against elite defenses. But Bell did beast against TCU one of the best defenses in the country. Training Camp was good to Le'Veon right up until it was time for the game. But there is plenty of time for Bell to show and prove.

Draft Grade C/C+
Preseason Grade D

3. Markus Wheaton - Markus Wheaton has done nothing but impress from practice then straight into the game. He's savvy, quick, fast and polished for a young rookie. I expect the Steelers to have certain packages during the season to get Wheaton on the field. Once Markus is able to gain Big Bens trust I see a lot of big plays from him in the pass game.

Draft Grade B+/A
Preseason Grade A

4. Shamarko Thomas - Has improved and gained confidence with each pass game. He's shown versatility by manning the slot, providing run support, forcing fumbles and playing deep safety. Not many veterans can do those type of things let alone a rookie. But Shamarko has proven that no task is to big not matter the stature.

Draft Grade A/A-
Preseason Grade A

4. Landry Jones - Landry has looked like a rookie QB every step of the way. But I don't believe anything different when Landry Jones was drafted. He'll get a extensive look this coming Thursday which still won't bring any clarity one way or the other. Well maybe except to put Steelers fans at ease if he plays well. If he should falter there will be some grumblings but nothing not expected.

Draft Grade C/C+
Preseason Grade C

5. Terry Hawthorne - Injuries have robbed Terry of meaningful playing time and competition. The Steelers depth chart at CB at least 3-5 was wide open even with the addition of Bill Gay and underachieving 3 yr player Curtis Brown. Terry really hasn't made a huge impact in the preseason, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been playing well.

Draft Grade C+/B
Preseason Grade C

6. Vince Williams - Williams has slowly, but surely moved up the Steelers depth chart pecking order. With a log jam at the ILB position Williams has emerged as the main backup to Larry Foote. While Williams still has things to improve as far as a pass defender. He has done things to show he's going in the right direction.

Draft Grade B+/A-
Preseason Grade B+

7. Nick Williams - Another player that hasn't been able to show much due to injuries. But in the games that he played he didn't really show the warts of being a project. While he didn't standout individually he did have a sack and pressures when he was in the game. Still believe he'll be stashed on the PS for a season.

Draft Grade C+/B-
Preseason Grade C+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based purely off pre-season:
Jarvis Jones: B (he's made plays, but he has had issues in the run game and I would like to see a sack given his snap counts)

Leveon Bell: D (getting hurt and not playing. As a fan who didn't attend Latrobe, I saw nothing from him)

Markus Wheaton: B+ (He had some dumb mistakes the first game, but he's been everything he was billed as)

Landry Jones: F (Has he done anything positive? I was expecting a raw project and him to make the roster regardless.)

Shamarko Thomas: B (Has looked a little uncertain at times, but has shown flashes of why I think he's the SS of the future)

Terry Hawthorne: D- (needs to be on the field, if he makes the roster it's only because he's a draft pick competing against UDFA's or practice squad'ers)

Vince Williams: B+ (He has shown a good grasp of the playbook, is a strong hitter, and at least started to answer the questions people have about his coverage ability.)

Justin Brown: C (limited athlete, goods hands and has shown some body control)

Nick Williams: C (He looked decent on gameday, but needed to be on the field sooner. Hard to keep him on the roster given how others have played)

Honorable mention: Derek Moye B- (Playing with back-up QB's that have nearly gotten him killed, he has shown great hands and body control. I think he should make it over Brown, if the decision is purely on who has shown more as WR)

If Bell gets on the field, this is looking like the strong rookie class we were all hoping for. Hawthorne is the closest to a bust right now (if you call a 5th rounder a bust). I can't remember a rookie class showing this much potential right off the bat.

This is reminding me of the 2002 class in terms of the depth it produced. Hopefully Jones and Bell make it the best Colbert class. If Bell becomes a 1200 yard rusher, and a 3 down guy this will be a great haul. I see 4-5 very good players here.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rookies preseason grades Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Steelers Rookie Report Card

I know not many like Bleacher Report but there article gave me the urge to post it to get some feed back.

1. Jarvis Jones - While he didn't have any sacks he played well in all other areas. JJ just is a "Johnny on the Spot" type of player. The honest truth is that you can't teach instincts and JJ has that. JJ is really forcing the Steelers hand because he obviously does things defensively that Worilds cannot. I really don't see a lot of sacks from JJ this year, but I believe as a OLB he's going to be more then just sacks.

Draft Grade B/B+
Preason Grade B

2. Le'Veon Bell - Bell has his critics because of his so/so production against elite defenses. But Bell did beast against TCU one of the best defenses in the country. Training Camp was good to Le'Veon right up until it was time for the game. But there is plenty of time for Bell to show and prove.

Draft Grade C/C+
Preseason Grade D

3. Markus Wheaton - Markus Wheaton has done nothing but impress from practice then straight into the game. He's savvy, quick, fast and polished for a young rookie. I expect the Steelers to have certain packages during the season to get Wheaton on the field. Once Markus is able to gain Big Bens trust I see a lot of big plays from him in the pass game.

Draft Grade B+/A
Preseason Grade A

4. Shamarko Thomas - Has improved and gained confidence with each pass game. He's shown versatility by manning the slot, providing run support, forcing fumbles and playing deep safety. Not many veterans can do those type of things let alone a rookie. But Shamarko has proven that no task is to big not matter the stature.

Draft Grade A/A-
Preseason Grade A

4. Landry Jones - Landry has looked like a rookie QB every step of the way. But I don't believe anything different when Landry Jones was drafted. He'll get a extensive look this coming Thursday which still won't bring any clarity one way or the other. Well maybe except to put Steelers fans at ease if he plays well. If he should falter there will be some grumblings but nothing not expected.

Draft Grade C/C+
Preseason Grade C

5. Terry Hawthorne - Injuries have robbed Terry of meaningful playing time and competition. The Steelers depth chart at CB at least 3-5 was wide open even with the addition of Bill Gay and underachieving 3 yr player Curtis Brown. Terry really hasn't made a huge impact in the preseason, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been playing well.

Draft Grade C+/B
Preseason Grade C

6. Vince Williams - Williams has slowly, but surely moved up the Steelers depth chart pecking order. With a log jam at the ILB position Williams has emerged as the main backup to Larry Foote. While Williams still has things to improve as far as a pass defender. He has done things to show he's going in the right direction.

Draft Grade B+/A-
Preseason Grade B+

7. Nick Williams - Another player that hasn't been able to show much due to injuries. But in the games that he played he didn't really show the warts of being a project. While he didn't standout individually he did have a sack and pressures when he was in the game. Still believe he'll be stashed on the PS for a season.

Draft Grade C+/B-
Preseason Grade C+

I agree with pretty much all of these, so Im not going to do my own.

Only one I disagree with is Shamarko Thomas. He has shown flashes but I think you are overrating how much if you are giving him an A. Im sure its also relative to where he was drafted, but still..A's IMO should be reserved for players who truly opened eyes, and Shamarko IMO really hasnt done that. Maybe a few plays, but not overall.

Wheaton is the only one IMO that deserves an A.

Jones and Thomas IMO are on the same boat. Both have shown very nice flashes, but both still need work.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCU was hardly an elite defense last year. Since TCU was 16th in total yds allowed and Pitt was 17th, was Pitt also considered an elite defense?

Also agree with 43 in that I don't understand the grades for Wheaton both the draft grade which was an absolute steal. He should've been a late 1st rounder or early 2nd. I really thought San Fran would take him.
Also the preseason grade, mistakes are expected especially in the first game. He's excelled and successfully displayed just some of his capabilities.

...you have a forum resume?
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern with Jones is he needs to bulk up so he can shed blocks better. I noticed his big splash plays came from reading the play well and reacting. He's got excellent play recognition, but he's having trouble getting off blocks with any power.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
My concern with Jones is he needs to bulk up so he can shed blocks better. I noticed his big splash plays came from reading the play well and reacting. He's got excellent play recognition, but he's having trouble getting off blocks with any power.

Strength and skill you can develop. Instincts are special. He is a playmaker, regardless of what stats and technical things he may not do right away, he will make plays and cause turnovers. It will take probably 2 years to develop, but his gift will probably always be the playmaking & making things happen.

...you have a forum resume?
Bobikus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rookies preseason grades Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Wheaton is the only one IMO that deserves an A.

I think Vince Williams is possibly an A too if you take draft position into account.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are allowing other's opinions affect their judgment too much. After seeing Jones returning his interception, I realized he is huge. The guys thighs are thick. He does need to get stronger but I feel he is big enough. Somehow I feel less masculine after writing that Laughing

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: