Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Final Pre-Season Game 49ers vs Chargers: Knuckle Punt
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What are you looking forward to?
Andy Lee's Knuckle Punt
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
Patrick Omameh
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Final Pre-Season Game 49ers vs Chargers: Knuckle Punt Reply with quote

Pre-season Game 4

San Diego Chargers @ San Francisco 49ers

With all or most of our starters sitting out, we get to see some of the 3rd string guys battle out for roster spots.

Last edited by SoCalNiner on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pumped to see how Morris/Cooper look with extended time on Thursday. I want both of them to have good showings, especially Cooper. Like I said in another thread, he is very intriguing and I expect some big things from him. Last time I pimped up a CB in the preseason of their rookie season was Culliver. I made some comparisons to Nnamdi and was told to slow my roll Laughing . Obviously yes, I should have slowed my roll, but Culliver was our best CB for much of the season last year.

Who knows, our potential starting duo may be Cooper/Culliver. Both are close to 6'2 and run a 4.4 40? Not bad at all..........................

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Pumped to see how Morris/Cooper look with extended time on Thursday. I want both of them to have good showings, especially Cooper. Like I said in another thread, he is very intriguing and I expect some big things from him. Last time I pimped up a CB in the preseason of their rookie season was Culliver. I made some comparisons to Nnamdi and was told to slow my roll Laughing . Obviously yes, I should have slowed my roll, but Culliver was our best CB for much of the season last year.

Who knows, our potential starting duo may be Cooper/Culliver. Both are close to 6'2 and run a 4.4 40? Not bad at all..........................

Ditto that, I like Big corners myself, Its become a necessity nowadays with these massive WRs all over the league.
I hope cooper turns out to be our diamond in the rough from this draft class and makes the roster.

It's Hard
It's rough
and it doesn take crap off anyone
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that is one of the reasons we went after Nnamdi because bigger, physical WRs gave us some problems. Culliver is the one guy on the team that could match up against anyone, but even Brown struggled big time against Julio Jones.

If Cooper is a diamond in the rough, that will be GREAT for us. Need the younger CBs to step up as Nnamdi/Rogers are 30+ and will likely be gone next year, and Brown is entering FA as well. Not only that, he's going to be what 29 years old next season?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in to see how long the Chargers play their starters. I'd like to see Lemonier go up against DJ Fluker. It would be an interesting barometer to see how far along he really is. If he can't face Fluker, I at least want him to absolutely rampage Michael Harris, who was positively putrid last year.

A couple other things I want to watch out for:

- If any of Hall, Collie, Hawkins, Osgood, or Jacobs can lock up the #6 WR spot. I think Hall seems to have the best chance since he's gotten a few snaps with the 1s. If not, I fully expect the team to go into the season with 5 WRs.

- Who can win the last spot on the DL out of Tukuafu, Jerod-Eddie, and Purcell. Dobbs has been rotated with the 1s a few times in the pre-season, so I assume he's a lock. However, he's suspended for the first game of the season, so I expect the team to keep an extra DL, at least for one week. In a perfect world, the Lions cut Idonije and we snatch him up.

- Patrick Omameh. He's sucked this pre-season, but I've read up on him a bit, and, supposedly, he's very athletic and very smart. I'd like to keep an eye on him to see if any of that athleticism jumps out. After reading up on him, I'm expecting him to make the practice squad. He could be a diamond in the rough, if given time to develop his skills. If you think that's far fetched, remember how bad Alex Boone looked as an UDFA rookie in his first pre-season? Exactly.
BangBang

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
I'm interested in to see how long the Chargers play their starters. I'd like to see Lemonier go up against DJ Fluker. It would be an interesting barometer to see how far along he really is. If he can't face Fluker, I at least want him to absolutely rampage Michael Harris, who was positively putrid last year.

- If any of Hall, Collie, Hawkins, Osgood, or Jacobs can lock up the #6 WR spot. I think Hall seems to have the best chance since he's gotten a few snaps with the 1s. If not, I fully expect the team to go into the season with 5 WRs.

- Who can win the last spot on the DL out of Tukuafu, Jerod-Eddie, and Purcell. Dobbs has been rotated with the 1s a few times in the pre-season, so I assume he's a lock. However, he's suspended for the first game of the season, so I expect the team to keep an extra DL, at least for one week. In a perfect world, the Lions cut Idonije and we snatch him up.

- Patrick Omameh. He's sucked this pre-season, but I've read up on him a bit, and, supposedly, he's very athletic and very smart. I'd like to keep an eye on him to see if any of that athleticism jumps out. After reading up on him, I'm expecting him to make the practice squad. He could be a diamond in the rough, if given time to develop his skills. If you think that's far fetched, remember how bad Alex Boone looked as an UDFA rookie in his first pre-season? Exactly.

FWIW, Alex Boone always had immense talent. He was a Top 10 player in high school and a four year starter at Ohio State. His problem was that he was out of shape and admittedly drank a case of beers a night and had other issues. Mike Singletary and his staff turned his life around.

Not saying Omameh won't end up being a diamond in the ruff, but I don't think he has anywhere near the talent that Boone has.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BangBang wrote:
AMG1713 wrote:

FWIW, Alex Boone always had immense talent. He was a Top 10 player in high school and a four year starter at Ohio State. His problem was that he was out of shape and admittedly drank a case of beers a night and had other issues. Mike Singletary and his staff turned his life around.

Not saying Omameh won't end up being a diamond in the ruff, but I don't think he has anywhere near the talent that Boone has.

True. He was never UDFA talent-wise. He had a dumb, drunk mix up with the law just befoe the draft and no on wanted to take a chance on him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:

- Patrick Omameh. He's sucked this pre-season, but I've read up on him a bit, and, supposedly, he's very athletic and very smart.

So was Kwame Harris... and it's arguable as to which one is more terrible. He was getting beat by scrubs.. so I hope we don't waste a spot even on our practice squad for him. He gots ta go.

___
AMG1713

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
AMG1713 wrote:

- Patrick Omameh. He's sucked this pre-season, but I've read up on him a bit, and, supposedly, he's very athletic and very smart.

So was Kwame Harris... and it's arguable as to which one is more terrible. He was getting beat by scrubs.. so I hope we don't waste a spot even on our practice squad for him. He gots ta go.

That's a very fair point. Kwame had the tools to succeed, but never seemed to have the passion. The same question can probably apply to Omameh.

As far as the Boone comparison goes, I'm not saying I think Omameh is, was, or will be be as good a player as Alex Boone. I'm not even saying he is, was, or will be half the player that Alex Boone is. My point was that, as bad as he's been, he's got the raw tools to succeed, so he might be worth keeping around on the practice squad. He's the type of player the practice squad is designed for. Him being beat by 3rd string scrubs is obviously off putting, but I have to go back to Alex Boone's rookie pre-season. Against the Chargers, he literally got beat on almost every single play against their 3rd stringers, too. I didn't even want him on the practice squad, either. He obviously proved me wrong.

I can't claim to have seen this supposed athleticism from Omameh, though. As far as my eyes tell me, he's been absolutely lousy, and it's hard to see anything else. That's why I'm interested in watching him this week, to see if any of that athleticism becomes apparent under all the suckage.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
AMG1713 wrote:

That's a very fair point. Kwame had the tools to succeed, but never seemed to have the passion. The same question can probably apply to Omameh.

As far as the Boone comparison goes, I'm not saying I think Omameh is, was, or will be be as good a player as Alex Boone. I'm not even saying he is, was, or will be half the player that Alex Boone is. My point was that, as bad as he's been, he's got the raw tools to succeed, so he might be worth keeping around on the practice squad. He's the type of player the practice squad is designed for. Him being beat by 3rd string scrubs is obviously off putting, but I have to go back to Alex Boone's rookie pre-season. Against the Chargers, he literally got beat on almost every single play against their 3rd stringers, too. I didn't even want him on the practice squad, either. He obviously proved me wrong.

I can't claim to have seen this supposed athleticism from Omameh, though. As far as my eyes tell me, he's been absolutely lousy, and it's hard to see anything else. That's why I'm interested in watching him this week, to see if any of that athleticism becomes apparent under all the suckage.

We'll probably keep only 2 linemen on the practice squad (3 at the most if some guys don't pass through waivers and we have the opening, but at least 2). Bykowski and Tribue are the likely duo (1 T, 1 G). Wiggins would be the other possibility, but those would be my favorites. They also might find a cut around the league they find is more worthwhile since none of the above or Omameh look any good.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
VD85

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if Kaep's playing at all? I know in the post game pc after last weeks game Harbaugh said he will, but it was subject to change.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VD85 wrote:
Anyone know if Kaep's playing at all? I know in the post game pc after last weeks game Harbaugh said he will, but it was subject to change.
Let's hope it's just this one series!

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great move by Moore there, and then a poor touch pass from Kaep.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
Psychlone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should do it for the first unit. When Patton first caught the ball, I was concerned he was going to make it past the line of scrimmage. Really liking the rook!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Patton...

props to WalterRedskins on the great sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: