Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 predictions....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: 2013 predictions.... Reply with quote

Pre-season is essentially over (the last game is roster jockeying and I doubt many starters play), and we have seen, although briefly, what this team is bringing is 2013. So how do you think they fare?

My Prediction

10-6 with a Wildcard birth..

I am being more optimistic then some, but I am being so for a reason....that defense. A defense that has a pro-bowl DT and a top 5 pick DE AS BACK_UPS!! This isn't because these players are poor, but how good the rest of the d-line is. This is a defense that features one of the best safety duos in the NFL and one of the better CBs. Upgrades at LB with an emphasis on speed....I see them being a top defense this season.

The offense is going to be more then capable of putting points on the board. You can see the Tannehill get more and more comfortable with his WRs each week. Martin has improved immensely as an LT and Clabo upgrades the RT....in the end, it is a unit that features two pro-bowlers (Clabo and Incognito) a vastly improved Martin, Pouncey, who many consider to be one of the top Centers in the NFL and Jerry who started all last season. RB may be a "weak" area, but it is RB...not a position I put much value in anyways.

Again I'm being more optimistic then most, but the talent and expectations dictate they should be performing at this level.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pain.....

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe that on paper we have the team that should win the division and go the playoffs. I would be satisfied with that, despite saying all last year that we need playoffs and a win when we get there. 10-6 should be doable when I look at the talent within division.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't know what to predict.

1. Head Coach and Starting QB are in year 2
2. I believe in 3 of our 5 offensive linemen while remaining
cautiously optimistic about the 4th and holding a ? about the 5th
In last season's hard knocks the OLine coach said that Jerry has potential
to be an All Pro. Who's on the bench that can put out an injury fire on the
oline ?

3. Folks need to understand that this offense has drastically reduced the responsibilities of the running back. We have 3 that are capable of taking advantage.

4. I think Tannehill's accuracy will come with reps. Bess and Fasano are gone. His eyes need to adjust to different speeds and heights.

5. I'm cool with our DBs and starting LBers. I see Jamar Taylor increasing his snaps and contribution as the season progresses. Much like how Cam Wake was brought along slowly. I remember how every week there would be complaints about why he's not playing. I think this staff will show the same patience with Dion Jordan.

I don't know about 10 wins this season. The schedule is brutal. To me we are in year 2 of a rebuilding process. Whether we get 10 wins or not, we need to ride this out. Why ? Whoever comes in next is not getting rid of these players. We have done well personnel wise and the coaching is solid. Between 7-9 wins (especially if there's injuries) should keep this process in tact.

If we go into the 2014 offseason only needing a guard, Tight end and a couple of back up linebackers, we should be OK.

That's 4 players. With our cap space and 7 rounds of drafting, that should be doable. I hope we can be patient.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too superstitious to make predictions, but it's all going to start and end in the AFC East. This team, on paper, is across the board better at most positions (including coaches) than the Bills and Jets. A new coach, one who might not make it to the end of the season, two rookie QBs and Geno and Tuel. WE NEED to sweep them to have a good chance at the playoffs.

dolphinologist wrote:
2. I believe in 3 of our 5 offensive linemen while remaining cautiously optimistic about the 4th and holding a ? about the 5th

In last season's hard knocks the OLine coach said that Jerry has potential to be an All Pro. Who's on the bench that can put out an injury fire on the
oline ?

I assume you like Pouncey / Incognito / Clabo, are optimistic about Martin and the ?? is Jerry; in which case I would agree. If a G or C goes down, we have two decent backups in Garner and Samuda, definitely not optimal but I think we would survive.. however at T we ain't got nuttin'
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are already short on TE, injuries always seem to bite us. I see us as a 9-7 or 10-6 ball club, I think we can make the post season if we can stay healthy and grab a couple games from teams we think we might not win (aka a few surprises) I will be happy if we make the playoffs and can win atleadt one game there, I will consider us moving in the right direction.

Adopt a Phins 2014, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill (2014 Season stats)
60.5-Comp/ 419 Yards/ 3-TD's/ 2-INT/ 76.1-Rating
Maddogg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predictions, are not difficult as long as the variables stay within a preset range.

Thats why you will see most Sports sites naming the 49'ers, Seahawks and Packers as favorites in the NFC. They will toss in New England, Houston and Denver from the AfC. Not to be cornered teams like the Bengals, Falcons and Saints will also get mentioned.

What you will not hear is Miami being thrown into the discussion as a playoff team. Most writers will give the Dolphins a begrudgingly slight improvement as far as the projected performance in 2013.

So are we better this year? Yes. Will we have more wins this year than last ? Maybe. Will we make the playoffs this year? Probably not and here is why......

On offense Ryan Tannehill should improve statistically. He has better options this year. Given that he has had a full year to grasp playing quarterback in the NFl his head should now longer be spinning. His growth should win us 1 to 2 games.

We give back those 1 to 2 games with our running backs. I view it as a huge mistake to have let Reggie Bush walk. I have hopes for Lamar Miller but I have not seen the "Can't miss" label on him. It would have been better to have increased his workload with Bush present. Without quantitatively knowing what our running back core is, we may have a group that are no more than journeymen.

The receivers give us our most optimism with the offense the hope is that Mike Wallace can use his speed to create not only mismatches with him but to also create more space for Hartline and Gibson.

While others saw Keller as an improvement over Fasano I saw it more as a lateral movement. I would not argue Kellers receiving ability over Fasano. However I believe Fasano gets the difference right back in blocking.

The offensive line which I do continue to lambaste is better than in 2012. Much of our success along the line will be determined by Martins performance at left tackle.

Defensively I believe our strength is along the defensive line and that is without factoring in Jordan.. There is depth at tackle for good rotations. The question of who plays opposite Wake was answered by Oliver Vernon

At linebacker I actually see this as a step back. We went younger and cheaper and it is presumed we got better because of it. While Dansby and company were certainly not turnover machines their play was steady. The new crew better come together quickly because its not looking good so far and our depth is not good.

As I stated before Grimes makes our secondary much better than what it was before his signing. At safety, Jones and Clemons give us a very good tandem.

Special teams is very average. Sturgis and Fields will be fine. The performance of others is going to be our drawback.

As far as the draft went, I don't believe Ireland improved us greatly at any one position. Certainly not on offense. The hope of the Dolphins draft lays with the defense. I firmly believe we went into the draft with an abundance of picks to seriously upgrade at least 2 positions and offer significant improvement in at least 1 other position while at the same time giving us better depth in another position.

So how does this all translate for 2013? I think we could go anywhere from 6-10 to 11-5 this year. If I were to bet I would say 7-9. We are improved, but we could have been even more so with bettter decisions made by the front office. With so many moves made I think were are still a transitional team. There is hope. Every fan of every team has hope until the season begins. Hopefully things come together much more quickly than I have envisioned.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games 1 Tackles 3
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion but I think the first part of our schedule is brutal and I have been thinking hard bout this for awhile but if we can somehow start off 2-2 or 3-3 I think we are primed for the playoffs the middle to back half of our schedule has some games we should handle. If we avoid a bad start I see 9-7 10-6 and in the playoff hunt going into week 17.

Health is always a factor but we really need our skill guys on offense to stay healthy I don't have a lot of faith in any of our 4-7 group of WR's and our TE situation is already uneasy.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Health is a factor for all teams....look at the Ravens last season...

They lost Suggs, Lewis, and Webb and their offense was under the command of Cam Cameron....they still made the playoffs.

This is going to be a departure from my normal stance, but this team needs to step up....they spent far too much money and put too much in the past two off seasons developing a team they believe can win. I want wins and I expect wins. Anything short of a winning season will be a disappointment....regardless of injury. The defense is too stacked, too much money was spent on the offense for mediocrity to be acceptable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we have to be grateful for is that going into this season, the Jets and Bills are both a hot mess. Both of those teams don't even have their QB situation settled and injuries are forcing them to throw guys in that don't deserve it/aren't ready. Sure we had the Garrard injury last year, but Tannehill still had to defeat a guy who had won games for this team in Matt Moore (and felt like a breath of fresh air after Chad Henne).

We should EXPECT to sweep both of those teams. The rest of the schedule may come as it will, but for the first time in a long time, those two division rivals are a non-issue.

On paper, we've made changes that push us towards becoming the kind of team that gives the Patriots fits. We drafted another pass rusher highly and developed Vernon into a starter. We snagged an elite cornerback and we got a deep threat capable of abusing their weakspot (the secondary). Throw in the loss of Hernandez, Welker and the injury to Gronk and the Patriots look very beatable.

Unfortunately, Belichick and Brady are too dangerous to count on anything there. The Patriots in the Belichick era have been able to overcome any obstacle, save for the Brady injury. The Dolphins team this year is the greatest threat to Patriot Reign in more than a decade. I only hope we play them with confidence befitting that and don't let them off the hook by beating ourselves.

FF Member #67
Phinsnation84

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9-7 or 10-6

Olivier Vernon
2014 Stats: 1 SACK 3 TCKLs 0 FF
Russ57

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loss of Keller and lack of depth in areas such as OL, CB, and LB'ers forces me to say 8 and 8.

I thought Keller and Lance Louis would work out. I thought our 2nd round CB was close to a sure thing and pleased when our 3rd round one started making waves.

Now I see the continuation of an old distrubing trend, Ireland parting ways with proven players before he has a solution in hand. Fasano would have been a great compliment to Keller. I could name other choices but what is the point.

The gambles could pay off. Grimes could stay healthy all year but the odds are against it. If he does do, we offer big dollar/long term contract only to have him break down shortly after?

Wow, I'm depressing myself. Better stop before I mention how we compounded Dansby mistake by doing it all over again....only with unproven talent the second time around.
Niedermaier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 and 8

Will we ever address the Guard position?

Larry Little #66
Fins20??SBChamp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still bummed the Fins lost Keller for the season. Somebody needs to step up. That is what great teams do!
Tom Brady is still one of the best QBs that ever played this game.
Unless the Fins figure out a way to put pressure on him and score a lot more points than last year (18ppg) the Pats will own the division.
My prediction: 2nd in the AFC East. Missing the playoffs by one game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No local TV broadcast.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: