Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top 3 Team Needs or Weaknesses Based on performance & ro
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Top 3 Team Needs or Weaknesses Based on performance & ro Reply with quote

What do you see as the 3 biggest weaknesses or needs for this years team?

...you have a forum resume?
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornerback is the #2 need imo. I say this because I'm not sold on the depth we have. I really like Terry Hawthorne but I'm not just looking at this season, I'm looking at the future and the fact that Ike Taylor is a dinosaur who won't be around much longer.

Our #1 Need, Tight End, no doubt about it. Heath is on the sidelines, Spaeth is down for almost 3/4 of the season, we got Paulson and McCoy...yay us.

I'm confident about our WR's and even our backup QB situation. I'm having a bit of faith in our Oline, but I do view G as a need still (my faith in Ramon Foster is only so-so).

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
SouthwestSteel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Cornerback is the #2 need imo. I say this because I'm not sold on the depth we have. I really like Terry Hawthorne but I'm not just looking at this season, I'm looking at the future and the fact that Ike Taylor is a dinosaur who won't be around much longer.

Our #1 Need, Tight End, no doubt about it. Heath is on the sidelines, Spaeth is down for almost 3/4 of the season, we got Paulson and McCoy...yay us.

I'm confident about our WR's and even our backup QB situation. I'm having a bit of faith in our Oline, but I do view G as a need still (my faith in Ramon Foster is only so-so).

We need a true left tackle, a quality guard, and a long-term replacement for Heath Miller.
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TE(We need a bigger skill guy for the redzone and to work out in playaction and to help our pass pro.)

OLINE(I pray that some UDRFA's develop because we got a ton of high draft picks up and down the starters, but....I'm starting to miss Legursky!)

SAFETY (well maybe not if we have some young guys. maybe we can play some big nickel this season) Cb has its issues with Taylor's age and Gay's limitations though.

imo.

Thanks Lyasr 529
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we speak I believe

#1 The Steelers need quality CBs beyond Ike and Cortez. Teams like to attack the Steelers by air and W. Gay isn't as good at NB as Cortez or is he good on the outside like Keenan Lewis. Hawthorne is green, Brown a underachiever with hope and anything else is trash.

#2 TE if Heath Miller is unable to start the season. Paulson is super suspect as a blocker and his yang (David Johnson) is a suspect receiving TE. The Steelers can manage but not for long.

#3 OL the Steelers don't have any backups worth while outside of Beachum. If the trend continues from previous years. The Steelers are gonna need some quality backups.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. TE, by far the biggest need we have. I'll be surprised if we don't get another visit from Leonard Pope. Tyler Eifert looking pretty good, but water under the bridge now

2. CB depth behind Cortez Allen. Hoping Curtis Brown 'gets it' but I think our best CBs other than Ike and Tez might just be our backup safeties

3. OL depth is hurting past Beachum. I think Malecki is solid enough in the Legursky role but past that, I'm more than a bit worried about our OL
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB. - At least for the 1st month of the season

TE - depth. I would dump Paulson and keep Palmer. DJ coming back is huge.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How has no one mentioned LT?

We dont have a single respectable LT on the roster. At least Adams could slide over and play RT, but he looks terrible at LT.

1. LT - Scares the hell outta me.
2. TE / Red Zone weapon....people are talking about TE, and yes, we are weak there without Heath, but I think our lack of a quality redzone weapon, whether it is a WR or TE, is hurting us just as much.
3. Nickel - I thought Gay would hold up decently as nickel. Still a chance he may, but I am not optimistic anymore.

EDIT: My bad...SouthwestSteel mentioned LT...but still, LT is a much bigger need than CB or even TE currently is. MUCH bigger.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT is arguably the only position where we probably need a quality starter right away once Miller and Bell are back while the rest is still mostly depth for another year or two. Adams should slide back over to RT though since he's not really any better than Gilbert at pass pro at LT but a better run blocker at RT.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realizing it does not quite fit here

Just for 43mafia

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 22m Surprise, surprise: Patriots cut CB Ras-I Dowling.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
stillersenat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SouthwestSteel wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

We need a true left tackle, a quality guard, and a long-term replacement for Heath Miller.

Welcome back SwS, where've you been hiding?

Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth but the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth
stillersenat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

Just for 43mafia

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 22m Surprise, surprise: Patriots cut CB Ras-I Dowling.

9 starts out of 32 games? Ouch...no pun intended.

Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth but the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

Just for 43mafia

Quote:

Just for me?

I wasnt the only one who liked him on the Steelers forum. In fact, there were quite a few.

And even I had concerns regarding his injuries, which is ultimately what held him back from ever doing much.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
jebrick wrote:

Just for 43mafia

Quote:

Just for me?

I wasnt the only one who liked him on the Steelers forum. In fact, there were quite a few.

And even I had concerns regarding his injuries, which is ultimately what held him back from ever doing much.

*raises hand* I was one. I had the injury concerns and when we passed on him I assumed he didn't pass the Steelers' physical

as for LT, I think folks need to ease up and give Adams some time. He hasn't exactly had scrubs to line up against. Hali didn't do anything to Adams that he didn't already do to Max Starks. Last season, Hali slammed Ben 3 separate occasions lining up opposite Starks and abused him all game long in the running game.
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
jebrick wrote:

Just for 43mafia

Quote:

Just for me?

You had a man crush on him before the draft. Very Happy

I did just see an article on how good the defensive players were from the 2011 draft. It is pretty amazing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: