Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Week 4: Washington Redskins @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Yep, they're saying Dez Briscoe is out with a sore shoulder injury as is Keiland Williams. I smell IR coming on for them, and they'll stash him away for next offseason. I hope that happens, then hopefully we can put Lance Lewis and either Nick Williams or Skye Dawson on he practice squad.

I keep hearing that Brandon Meriweather looked fluid and played well, so I expect him to start vs Philadelphia

I think Briscoe is gone (he'll be a free agent after the season), so stashing him doesn't help all that much. The one reason they might is that they can negotiate another one year deal before he hits the market. However, if they like the guys they put on the PS better, they might not bother.

Keiland might be a different possibility.
Brian23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royster may have just won the 3rd RB spot due to Williams getting hurt, still not sure he showed us anything more to be honest.

Briscoe is probably gone. He's made one play as a Redskins and that was in the game today. I'd rather run 5 Wr's with Lewis and Williams on the PS.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Yep, they're saying Dez Briscoe is out with a sore shoulder injury as is Keiland Williams. I smell IR coming on for them, and they'll stash him away for next offseason. I hope that happens, then hopefully we can put Lance Lewis and either Nick Williams or Skye Dawson on he practice squad.

I keep hearing that Brandon Meriweather looked fluid and played well, so I expect him to start vs Philadelphia

I think Briscoe is gone (he'll be a free agent after the season), so stashing him doesn't help all that much. The one reason they might is that they can negotiate another one year deal before he hits the market. However, if they like the guys they put on the PS better, they might not bother.

Keiland might be a different possibility.
possibly, but I think they like both guys a lot. Briscoe showed he can play tonight before his shoulder injury just like he showed last preseason when he made the team
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Royster may have just won the 3rd RB spot due to Williams getting hurt, still not sure he showed us anything more to be honest.

Briscoe is probably gone. He's made one play as a Redskins and that was in the game today. I'd rather run 5 Wr's with Lewis and Williams on the PS.

Royster is our bell cow if Morris goes down. Helu is not an everydown back. Royster can be. This is why you have Morris, Helu and Royster with a Chris Thompson thrown in (and Williams hopefully on IR)

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Brian23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Royster is our bell cow if Morris goes down. Helu is not an everydown back. Royster can be. This is why you have Morris, Helu and Royster with a Chris Thompson thrown in (and Williams hopefully on IR)

Helu can give you 2 or 3 games as "the guy". They've also got a lot of faith in Jamison to be able to carry the loard. And really, do we doubt that Shanny could find a guy to be productive for us for a game or 2 if need be?

I just don't like wasting a spot on a guy who's just there "incase". Short of QB, every other roster spot is precious to me.
Woz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Counter argument is that Keiland Williams is more flexible. He can handle RB as well as FB, and plays teams. While he might not be as good a runner as Royster, I think he could have held his own in this offense.

If he's really hurt, well, it makes the decision process much easier.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:

in every preseason game that Royster was healthy and he played, he led the team in rushing. I'm not really sure how that's not showing us enough to make the team. I always felt Royster would show enough to make the team, until he missed the Steelers and Bills games because of his ankle injury and then Keiland played well in his absence and Thompson. Still, Royster's shown enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brian23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

in every preseason game that Royster was healthy and he played, he led the team in rushing. I'm not really sure how that's not showing us enough to make the team. I always felt Royster would show enough to make the team, until he missed the Steelers and Bills games because of his ankle injury and then Keiland played well in his absence and Thompson. Still, Royster's shown enough.

Again, I never doubted that Royster can play, its just that he doesn't offer us like what Keiland Williams can offer us. I just can't count on him to be the kind of backup we need/want. He's not gonna get touches, he's not gonna fill in at TE/RB, he's not a great catcher or blocker, and he's not insanely athletic. He just doesn't offer us much besides being a solid fall back plan.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Counter argument is that Keiland Williams is more flexible. He can handle RB as well as FB, and plays teams. While he might not be as good a runner as Royster, I think he could have held his own in this offense.

Counter argument is that Keiland hasn't led the team this preseason in rushing and they are comparable in all other areas. They are virtually identical on special teams, in pass receiving and blocking. The only thing is that Royster has never played full back, but remember the team tried Keiland at full back in 201- and from what I remember it didn't go that well and he was cut. Keiland is a running back, not a full back
Brian23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Counter argument is that Keiland hasn't led the team this preseason in rushing and they are comparable in all other areas. They are virtually identical on special teams, in pass receiving and blocking. The only thing is that Royster has never played full back, but remember the team tried Keiland at full back in 201- and from what I remember it didn't go that well and he was cut. Keiland is a running back, not a full back

Oh god no, Keiland is a much better passblocker and run blocker.

Keiland was also cut only because they had Torain still, also drafted both Royster and Helu. At that point Torain, if he had stayed healthy, was our go to guy and Helu filled that 3rd down role but we couldn't trust Torain to stay healthy so having a guy like Royster as the back up was the best for us.

Keiland was one of the first guys we had to cut that we were pretty effy about doing so.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Again, I never doubted that Royster can play, its just that he doesn't offer us like what Keiland Williams can offer us. I just can't count on him to be the kind of backup we need/want. He's not gonna get touches, he's not gonna fill in at TE/RB, he's not a great catcher or blocker, and he's not insanely athletic. He just doesn't offer us much besides being a solid fall back plan.
They're basically identical in everything but rushing the ball, Royster is better at rushing.

Royster had 15 receptions last year.

Why do we need a running back to play TE? We have 4 TEs

We need to keep the 4 best running backs. Royster is the teams third best running back, yes, he's a better every down rusher at this point than Chris Thompson.

By the way, Keiland isn't insanely athletic Either and to be honest, neither is Alfred Morris
Brian23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

They're basically identical in everything but rushing the ball, Royster is better at rushing.

We need to keep the 4 best running backs. Royster is the teams third best running back, yes, he's a better every down rusher at this point than Chris Thompson.

By the way, Keiland isn't insanely athletic Either and to be honest, neither is Alfred Morris

I didn't say he was more athletic, I was trying to show that Royster just doesn't offer us anything extraordinary. Keiland can fill in as a FB or TE, and while we do have 4 TE's 2 are glorified WR's and adding another blocker in the back field only adds more options for us. I'm also very sure he'd be our best pass blocking back.

I expect Royster to be on the team, mind you, I just don't fully agree with it.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Oh god no, Keiland is a much better passblocker and run blocker.

Keiland was also cut only because they had Torain still, also drafted both Royster and Helu. At that point Torain, if he had stayed healthy, was our go to guy and Helu filled that 3rd down role but we couldn't trust Torain to stay healthy so having a guy like Royster as the back up was the best for us.

Keiland was one of the first guys we had to cut that we were pretty effy about doing so.
the gap is really not that large in pass blocking, but yes, Royster has never been a fullback so he's not a good run blocker.

On the flip side, Royster has some experience as a returner, which Keiland does not.

Here is my breakdown of the two

1. Rushing-Royster > Williams
2. Receiving =
3. Pass blocking =
4. Run blocking Williams > Royster
5. Kick off returning Royster > Williams
6. Kick coverage Williams > Royster

I mean when you break down things, they're basically equal in my book but Royster is a more effective rusher
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I didn't say he was more athletic, I was trying to show that Royster just doesn't offer us anything extraordinary. Keiland can fill in as a FB or TE, and while we do have 4 TE's 2 are glorified WR's and adding another blocker in the back field only adds more options for us. I'm also very sure he'd be our best pass blocking back.

I expect Royster to be on the team, mind you, I just don't fully agree with it.
And I don't like that we likely can't keep Keiland either, just like I didn't like we cut him 2011 when we drafted Helu and had Hightower and Torain but its just a tough cut that they have to make again unfortunately. I have no doubt that Keiland will find work in this league somewhere
Woz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Yes, he was cut, and then signed on with Detroit ... as a full back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: