Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CJ Spiller leaves team indefinitely
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I should bite my tongue here. But no he should not take all the time he needs. He should be back at practice by Monday or Tuesday(and Im sure he will.)

Condolences to him and his family.

Curious as to why you believe this? Not that I agree or disagree, just wanted to know.

Because I don't think anyone gets two weeks off for the death of a grandparent. This is an important job where a lot of people depend on you. You should get a week to pay your respects, grieve, be with your loved ones. The world can't completely come to a stop for you though. At some point you need to deal with your grief while still meeting your responsibilities.

It was a pretty daunting situation. He murdered two men, tried to kill two others; then killed himself. I'm sure his family is not only grieving; but scared for their life. He has every right to make sure his loved one's are okay. I'm confused on how you feel his work is more important than that?

Spiller is in a unique position.

Of course family is more important than work. However for most individuals earning a living takes precedence over extra time off do to the death of a grand parent.

For most people saying family is more important is nothing more than a statement. Most people can't afford to lose a job and the income that goes with it. That becomes especially true if your married with children and have a mortgage payment.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Tooki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I should bite my tongue here. But no he should not take all the time he needs. He should be back at practice by Monday or Tuesday(and Im sure he will.)

Curious as to why you believe this? Not that I agree or disagree, just wanted to know.

Because I don't think anyone gets two weeks off for the death of a grandparent. This is an important job where a lot of people depend on you. You should get a week to pay your respects, grieve, be with your loved ones. The world can't completely come to a stop for you though. At some point you need to deal with your grief while still meeting your responsibilities.

It was a pretty daunting situation. He murdered two men, tried to kill two others; then killed himself. I'm sure his family is not only grieving; but scared for their life. He has every right to make sure his loved one's are okay. I'm confused on how you feel his work is more important than that?

Spiller is in a unique position.

Of course family is more important than work. However for most individuals earning a living takes precedence over extra time off do to the death of a grand parent.

For most people saying family is more important is nothing more than a statement. Most people can't afford to lose a job and the income that goes with it. That becomes especially true if your married with children and have a mortgage payment.

The NFL is also not your typical job. The average player is worth much more (monetarily) than your average worker at most other jobs.

The thing is that Spiller is not going to lose his job by doing this. He won't miss a regular season game and he participated in the off-season programs.
domepatrol91

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This puts Spiller in a very tough place. He really needs to be with his family and make sure things are right there before he goes back to work, but he also has 60 or so other guys who are depending on him to do what most of them would consider a very important job.

It may be easy for us to say "football is a game, family comes first." But that may not ring true (whether or not they'll admit it) with everyone else who is going to have to pick up that slack while he is gone. I'm not saying it's right, but I know in jobs that I've worked (that obviously can be done by more than a small fraction of a percentage of the population, which isn't the case for Spiller) people generally get several days to a week off for things like this before the coworkers and bosses start to grumble. It's probably not right and I certainly don't have a problem with a people who are upset by that, but it's a money driven society and these are the types of things you'd expect.

It's going to be a tough road ahead for Spiller regardless of how he handles his time and commitments to his family and team, I certainly wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks -
Corey White -
tom cody

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard about this. what a terrible tragedy. Spiller should take all the time he needs in coming back from this event.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll be back by the time practice starts up for week 1. He knows what his job is, yes its a terrible situation and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but he'll be back and will be juking and sprinting to a bunch of TDs this year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this should be more about keeping his current family safe.

I doubt it's about mourning his Grandfather.

At least I wouldn't mourn as much if I find out my Grandpa went on a killing spree. You'd have to look at him with a much lower degree of respect.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:

At least I wouldn't mourn as much if I find out my Grandpa went on a killing spree. You'd have to look at him with a much lower degree of respect.
I'm assuming youre talking about Spillers Grandfather here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

I'm assuming youre talking about Spillers Grandfather here.

Yes

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Officer Ricky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah he should be given all the time he needs, but I'm sure he'll hold himself accountable to be back when the season starts at the latest. No denying that times like these are far harder to handle and more important then the game of football.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Being a family member comes before being a football player. He knows what he has to do for the Bills but he also has to be there for his family.

Most employers allow three days for death of a Grand Parent. One day is for the memorial and a day each side for any required travel.

Yes, family comes first but you can't simply disregard your employment.

Actually you can if you're CJ Spiller. What are they going to do about it?
eagles101

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
klyon7634 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Lets say that's the case, and unless there is some detail I missed, fear of retribution is a big leap from what we know. It takes more than a week to get his family some security?

Rolling Eyes

You are ridiculous

What's ridiculous is the idea that it's okay to leave a 7 figure job for as long as you want during the only four months that matter anytime a family member dies. Grow the hell up. This is serious business and it comes with some sacrifices in your personal life.

Two things

1. If hes not mentally ready he's going to get hurt. Football isn't a sport to come in not fully ready, especially if you are running the ball.

2. It doesn't matter how much he makes, its about value and ability to replace your job. He has enough value to the bills plus he can get the same job almost anywhere, he gets to choose when he comes back. Be it Monday or next year. Life isn't all about money and work, especially when you have a lot of money already.

But your lack of empathy at all is overwhelming teenagerish. You sound like that jerk boss no one respects. Before you even know the timeline your saying he shouldn't take the all the time he needs. What if he only needs to take until Friday to recover. Does that mean he should be back today? I mean you can't wait till the season starts to show zero lack of empathy and treat him like he owes it to people to come back.

props to deadpulse

vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:

1. If hes not mentally ready he's going to get hurt. Football isn't a sport to come in not fully ready, especially if you are running the ball.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What's going to happen? Is he going to be thinking about his grandfather and forget to lower his pad level running through the hole? Yeah. No one should play unless they are in a perfect place emotionally.

Quote:
2. It doesn't matter how much he makes, its about value and ability to replace your job. He has enough value to the bills plus he can get the same job almost anywhere, he gets to choose when he comes back. Be it Monday or next year. Life isn't all about money and work, especially when you have a lot of money already.

He is valuable. You know how valuable he is if he isn't there? Not at all. He'd be difficult to replace. But not impossible. There's a lot of talented RBs out there. He would be able to work somewhere else. But if he took off as much time as you are saying is okay, no one would give him top dollar.

Quote:
But your lack of empathy at all is overwhelming teenagerish. You sound like that jerk boss no one respects.

And you sound like an overly dramatic female that would need a semester off if you got dumped.

Quote:
Before you even know the timeline your saying he shouldn't take the all the time he needs. What if he only needs to take until Friday to recover. Does that mean he should be back today?

I have no doubt he is a professional and will be back in a timely fashion. I said he needs to be back Monday. If he only needs until Friday, he can still take until Monday.

Free Ray Rice
eagles101

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
eagles101 wrote:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What's going to happen? Is he going to be thinking about his grandfather and forget to lower his pad level running through the hole? Yeah. No one should play unless they are in a perfect place emotionally.

Quote:

He is valuable. You know how valuable he is if he isn't there? Not at all. He'd be difficult to replace. But not impossible. There's a lot of talented RBs out there. He would be able to work somewhere else. But if he took off as much time as you are saying is okay, no one would give him top dollar.

Quote:
But your lack of empathy at all is overwhelming teenagerish. You sound like that jerk boss no one respects.

And you sound like an overly dramatic female that would need a semester off if you got dumped.

Quote:
Before you even know the timeline your saying he shouldn't take the all the time he needs. What if he only needs to take until Friday to recover. Does that mean he should be back today?

I have no doubt he is a professional and will be back in a timely fashion. I said he needs to be back Monday. If he only needs until Friday, he can still take until Monday.

Wow. Your a joke of a humam being.

props to deadpulse

vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with DTMB on this one and I think you guys are overreacting to something he didn't say.

The term "take as long as you need" is incredibly vague and non specific. Where do you draw the line? If it's December and he is still not back I think a lot of you would be changing you tunes.

It's a tragedy and would shake anyone up but he is a professional and has a job to do. If this happened to a minimum wage worker and he took more than a week he might not have a job to come back to. It's a sad but true part of life.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
YlionsY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My job would give me 3 days off for funeral time. I most likely would be able to take unpaid leave depending on my emotional state but I'm not sure how long my employer would give me.

NFL is a whole different ball game though. A football game. Thats the different kind of game it is. My job doesn't involve a ball.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: