Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Starks Not Starting - Is It Punishment?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maddogg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Starks Not Starting - Is It Punishment? Reply with quote

Randy Starks has alluded to his not starting is punishment for skipping the OTAs because of his not receiving a long term contract offer from the Dolphins.

What do you think is it punishment or performance?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000234699/article/randy-starks-punished-for-skipping-dolphins-otas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be both, but I read a quote of Kevin Coyle (to paraphrase) whoever starts next to Soliai isn't necessarily the starter, but they will start according to match ups, but both will rotate on the field a lot.

UniversalAuthor
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odrick has played very well in the pre-season and could have won the position or at least play well-enough to be in a 1a/1b discussion. In the end I doubt coaches will hold grudges that could cost them wins...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach Philbin doesn't come across as the type of person that would hold a grudge. To me any determination on who starts will be based on merit.
Russ57

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pick another "P" word. Practice. I think he comes off the bench because he hasn't be at practice as much as Odrick.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that he said that tells me there is bad blood there. Chances of him resigning with Miami at this point are slim. They should work to trade him now before he leaves in the offseason and we get nothing for him. With the depth we have we can afford to do it, and it would save us over 9 mil in cap space we can move to the next season. Of course finding a team with that kind of cap space to take it on that is also willing to give up draft picks or a player is easier said than done.

I think they would have traded Long last year if they could have.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
I'll pick another "P" word. Practice. I think he comes off the bench because he hasn't be at practice as much as Odrick.
Pretty much my take also he has only been practicing for ONE week
cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starks just basically ensured that Miami won't be resigning him. You know Philbin hates that Starks even said a damned thing.

As far as punishment goes... he sounds like a child. He didn't practice nearly as much as Odrick, and it's definitely shown on the practice field. Then he goes on to say he was the best DL in 2008.. even if that was true, what kind of professional throws teammates under the bus like that?

Hope we can trade him. Starks has always played too hot / cold for my taste anyway.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked Starks play as a Dolphin, but his salary demands and the play of Odrick have made Starks a liability more than an asset.

I'm sure Starks will still play well for us this season but its apparent that its time for him to move on.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
The fact that he said that tells me there is bad blood there. Chances of him resigning with Miami at this point are slim. They should work to trade him now before he leaves in the offseason and we get nothing for him. With the depth we have we can afford to do it, and it would save us over 9 mil in cap space we can move to the next season. Of course finding a team with that kind of cap space to take it on that is also willing to give up draft picks or a player is easier said than done.

But why? The Dolphins aren't a 5-11 team anymore where it doesn't matter. This team is a potential playoff team that should win 8 games at a minimum. Starks helps this team win, you don't throw away one of your teams top 5-10 players just because they are a free agent. To me, this shows how far the Dolphins have come. It should get to a point when your draft picks (Odrick) play so well that it doesn't make it a requirement to resign vets.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope we don't trade him its a legit 3 man rotation starks and odrick rushing the passer on 3rd down with Vernon/Jordan and wake on the outside is the strength of our team and can help lead us to the playoffs
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's something as shallow as a punishment. It's most likely just his lack of practicing and the fact our DL depth is very good. He'll be in the rotation for sure.

Nacho Simulation Football League
bpastermack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
I don't think it's something as shallow as a punishment. It's most likely just his lack of practicing and the fact our DL depth is very good. He'll be in the rotation for sure.

Or how about giving credit where it's due and using it as an opportunity to lift up one of your teammates. If I were Odrick I would be offended by what he said.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:

But why? The Dolphins aren't a 5-11 team anymore where it doesn't matter. This team is a potential playoff team that should win 8 games at a minimum. Starks helps this team win, you don't throw away one of your teams top 5-10 players just because they are a free agent. To me, this shows how far the Dolphins have come. It should get to a point when your draft picks (Odrick) play so well that it doesn't make it a requirement to resign vets.

I don't see a major dropoff between Starks and Randall to be honest. And I want this team building for the long term. Trade him for a player and the benefit THIS year is greater than the loss. Trade him for a draft pick and not only do you end up with a draft pick you wouldn't have otherwise had, but you clear over 9 mil in cap space for next year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:

Or how about giving credit where it's due and using it as an opportunity to lift up one of your teammates. If I were Odrick I would be offended by what he said.

Judging by his interviews Odrick seems too smart to be bothered by such nonsense...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: