Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Question of the Day: Does Zach Line make the roster?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purplexing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I remember someone, somewhere, indicating that Asiata is a 3 yards and a cloud of dust carrier...I remember the Vikings distinctly having someone just like that...and was pretty successful at it:

back on topic: Zach makes a beeLine for the practice squad.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
JMac79 wrote:

I think 6th or 7th is taking it to a bit of an extreme, but I agree in principle that the Vikings shouldn't consider a RB any higher than the late 3rd round at most; sure, there's some notable late-round RBs that have had success, but there's also a ton more that have done absolutely nothing (which is par for the course when it comes to late-round picks). If there's a guy that they like in the 3rd or later, go ahead and take him... but any earlier, and you're basically repeating the mistake of drafting Toby Gerhart. To be clear, I think Gerhart is a decent player, but the selection proved to be an utterly horrible proposition in terms of getting value for a 2nd round pick - just so many other spots on the roster where another prospect could have made more of an impact.

Not much difference in talent level between many 3rd-5th round backs and many 6th-7th round backs. The difference there is usually college production.

It's usually tiered like this:

1st & 2nd round RBs: Outstanding talent, good-great college production

3rd-5th round RBs: Good-average talent, good-average college production

6th round-UDFA RBs: good-average talent, lacking college production

Perfect examples: Le'Veon Bell (2nd round), Montee Ball (2nd round), Joseph Randle (5th round), Mike Gillislee (5th round).

All very average talents who got drafted higher than they should because of good to great college production. None of those backs will ever be game changers at the NFL level.

I would very much prefer to wait until the end of the draft and take a ball carrier with equal talent who for whatever reason couldn't quite put it together in college. These guys often have the potential to be better pros than they were in CFB.

Just like any position you're more likely to get a better player in the 4th round than in the 7th round. If Gerhart leaves this offseason, I'd be pretty uncomfortable with our depth at running back. If we can get a serviceable backup RB in the 6th or 7th round that's great, but I would have no problem picking one as high as the 3rd if that's what it takes to get a good one.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benefit of having a good run blocking line it allows you to take a chance at mid to late round picks. The earliest I'd consider a backup Rb would be round 4, unless I was looking to groom that back to start, which isn't the case in mn. I like Banyards upside as a runner so I hope they can retain him on the ps.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach Line’s last chance to prove himself before 6 p.m. Saturday will be in the Vikings’ preseason finale against the Titans on Thursday night in Minneapolis. The physical demands of his new position left Line sore after each of the Vikings’ full-pads training-camp practices, and after each preseason game—even more so after Felton’s emergency appendectomy two weeks ago sidelined the veteran for the preseason, boosting Line’s workload. But Line expects the Titans game will be the most physical night yet.

Line: “You’ve got a bunch of guys battling for that last spot.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/28/zach-line-decision-day-looms/

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be reading too much into it, but Frazier didn't sound yesterday like Line would make the team. Sounds more like Ellison will be the main FB.

http://bit.ly/1dMeomq

(Start at 6:00)
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Line's job tonight to make it difficult for Frazier to cut him. I still don't personally believe Line will do so, because outside of 2 plays, he hasn't been seen or heard.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
It's Line's job tonight to make it difficult for Frazier to cut him. I still don't personally believe Line will do so, because outside of 2 plays, he hasn't been seen or heard.

Against the 49ers he actually did a fairly good job of lead blocking.

It's hard for a fullback to be seen or heard unless they mess up.
chuck44

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cmon guys..if you think this guy makes the team your crazy...everyone gets caught up in these feel good stories..This guy does not know the fullback position and Asiata is a proven special teams player and he brings alittle more to the running back position than people give him credit for..

Ellison moves into Feltons spot till his return and Line gets cut and does not make PS ..he has no value to this team...as the 3rd back or special teamer
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
Cmon guys..if you think this guy makes the team your crazy.

chuck44, there is no reason to call anyone who doesnt agree with you crazy. we may very well think youre the crazy one as its not that crazy of a proposition to suggest that Line makes the team considering he did survive the first wave of cuts and the third Rb spot is wide open. I think asiata wins the job for the reasons you mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm crazy...crazy like a fox!

And speaking of a fox...just for VD:

Quote:
‏@DustinFox37
I think Miley Cyrus just twerked all over Walter White while he was watching Kaepernick run the read option.

https://twitter.com/DustinFox37/status/371810049821143041

Thx to Uncle Buck!
chuck44

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
chuck44 wrote:
Cmon guys..if you think this guy makes the team your crazy.

chuck44, there is no reason to call anyone who doesnt agree with you crazy. we may very well think youre the crazy one as its not that crazy of a proposition to suggest that Line makes the team considering he did survive the first wave of cuts and the third Rb spot is wide open. I think asiata wins the job for the reasons you mentioned.

take it easy its a figure of speech..hence the C'mon...dont take it so serious.....of course he made the first rd of cuts felton is out...ie..camp body
Purplexing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line seemed to do well at times, but didn't register as a great find and likely to make the active roster.

I believe it is highly likely he will be signed to the PS if the Vikings don't see a better option from other teams cuts.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullback Zach Line, who didn't have to do much lead blocking in college, provided a nice example of it on the Vikings' drive for the go-ahead field goal. He and DeMarcus Love combined on a nice kick-out block on Banyard's 19-yard run. Line didn't show the pass-catching skills he'd displayed early, but he's probably done enough that the Vikings would at least consider using a practice-squad spot on him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/60706/observation-deck-vikings-titans

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with Line being put on the P.S. if he clears waivers, which he should, since over half of the league probably doesn't even use a FB.

That's where he belongs for a year, at least. He's not deserving of a spot now.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I have no problem with Line being put on the P.S. if he clears waivers, which he should, since over half of the league probably doesn't even use a FB.

That's where he belongs for a year, at least. He's not deserving of a spot now.

Agreed, there is not room on the roster for him and others right now....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: