Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Question of the Day: Does Zach Line make the roster?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Question of the Day: Does Zach Line make the roster? Reply with quote

or perhaps, judging by this picture, a better way to put it is does he back his way on to the team?

are his two scoring plays in pre-season so far enough to warrant extra consideration? will a position move be too difficult for him to adjust to?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line goes to the practice squad. The roster spot for his position will come down to Gerhart v line. Gerhart wins. Asiata is a more valuable backup since he has shown to play special teams and lead block. Line really hasn't done these things this preseason. I guess I don't see his two tds as that impressive to warrant a spot unless you argue for Gerhart being moved. I like Line to make the roster next year when Gerhart leaves mn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he should make the roster ahead of Asiata as I feel he brings more to the table. However, I agree with VR that they likely try to get him on the PS.

I do disagree with VRs assertion that Asiata is more valuable. His special teams value is likely higher at the moment but he hasn't at all shown that he can be an effective lead blocker. And, despite being trained in as a fullback Line had a better pedigree as a ball carrier and that flashed on his long touchdown reception.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the third Rb, how many touches would he reasonably expect to see assuming Peterson and Gerhart are healthy? This is why Asiata probably should win the job since he is proven on special teams and has been trained as a lead blocker, though he isn't great at it. Line looks like a practice squad candidate to me and someone who could get called upon if injuries persist.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think theres a chance he plays for his spot in the last preseason game.

XBL/PSN: Chainedsniper
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighHopes wrote:
I think theres a chance he plays for his spot in the last preseason game.

I hope Line gets more work as a lead blocker, if he can do that effectively I think his chances of making the team increase. Especially with the suspension of Felton, mn needs to get a heavy analysis of what they have him in him as a lead blocker, in addition to special teams coverage. Those backup rbs, fbs and TEs have to play special teams in some capacity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he goes to the practice squad.

Line and Banyard/Randle and can take Gerhart's and Asiata's spots next year.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'll draft a running back next year. It was reported the Vikings were very interested in taking Christen Michael before the 1st round went the way it did.
jshowers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
I think we'll draft a running back next year. It was reported the Vikings were very interested in taking Christen Michael before the 1st round went the way it did.

We absolutely should not spend a high or even mid round pick on a RB though. If we address it in the draft, IMO, it should be 6th or 7th round. Plenty of capable backs available then.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, unless it's James Wilder Jr...his dad used to kill the Vikings. Laughing

Thx to Uncle Buck!
jshowers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I agree with you, unless it's James Wilder Jr...his dad used to kill the Vikings. Laughing

I'm really high on him as a prospect. He actually runs quite a bit like AP does - tall with incredible power and a nasty stiff arm. Should go in the 2nd-3rd round to a power running team. A first round pick is unlikely since he splits carries in that FSU offense but he is very talented.
JMac79

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:

We absolutely should not spend a high or even mid round pick on a RB though. If we address it in the draft, IMO, it should be 6th or 7th round. Plenty of capable backs available then.

I think 6th or 7th is taking it to a bit of an extreme, but I agree in principle that the Vikings shouldn't consider a RB any higher than the late 3rd round at most; sure, there's some notable late-round RBs that have had success, but there's also a ton more that have done absolutely nothing (which is par for the course when it comes to late-round picks). If there's a guy that they like in the 3rd or later, go ahead and take him... but any earlier, and you're basically repeating the mistake of drafting Toby Gerhart. To be clear, I think Gerhart is a decent player, but the selection proved to be an utterly horrible proposition in terms of getting value for a 2nd round pick - just so many other spots on the roster where another prospect could have made more of an impact.

As far as Zach Line goes, my guess is that he ends up as a PS guy for now; I'm no fan of Asiata, but as many have noted he is a decent STer. With Felton suspended, Ellison will likely pick up the slack at FB for the time being, with Asiata possibly also helping out. With Line still transitioning from being more of a 1-Back player in college, it's hard to say if he brings any more blocking ability to the position than either of those two. He's an interesting player from a developmental standpoint (if he can develop his blocking skills, he could be an intriguing weapon at FB with his ability to run/catch), but the best place for him to do that is likely on the practice squad.

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
jshowers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMac79 wrote:

I think 6th or 7th is taking it to a bit of an extreme, but I agree in principle that the Vikings shouldn't consider a RB any higher than the late 3rd round at most; sure, there's some notable late-round RBs that have had success, but there's also a ton more that have done absolutely nothing (which is par for the course when it comes to late-round picks). If there's a guy that they like in the 3rd or later, go ahead and take him... but any earlier, and you're basically repeating the mistake of drafting Toby Gerhart. To be clear, I think Gerhart is a decent player, but the selection proved to be an utterly horrible proposition in terms of getting value for a 2nd round pick - just so many other spots on the roster where another prospect could have made more of an impact.

Not much difference in talent level between many 3rd-5th round backs and many 6th-7th round backs. The difference there is usually college production.

It's usually tiered like this:

1st & 2nd round RBs: Outstanding talent, good-great college production

3rd-5th round RBs: Good-average talent, good-average college production

6th round-UDFA RBs: good-average talent, lacking college production

Perfect examples: Le'Veon Bell (2nd round), Montee Ball (2nd round), Joseph Randle (5th round), Mike Gillislee (5th round).

All very average talents who got drafted higher than they should because of good to great college production. None of those backs will ever be game changers at the NFL level.

I would very much prefer to wait until the end of the draft and take a ball carrier with equal talent who for whatever reason couldn't quite put it together in college. These guys often have the potential to be better pros than they were in CFB.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I think he should make the roster ahead of Asiata as I feel he brings more to the table. However, I agree with VR that they likely try to get him on the PS.

I do disagree with VRs assertion that Asiata is more valuable. His special teams value is likely higher at the moment but he hasn't at all shown that he can be an effective lead blocker. And, despite being trained in as a fullback Line had a better pedigree as a ball carrier and that flashed on his long touchdown reception.

I just question why Asiata makes the roster as a 3rd RB anyway, I don't like it, he shows very little as a runner, not that he will see a lot of PT anyway. I would think Line would be capable to do the things Asiata does on ST.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember someone, somewhere, indicating that Asiata is a 3 yards and a cloud of dust carrier...I remember the Vikings distinctly having someone just like that...and was pretty successful at it:

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: