Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

John Keim's breakdown of Buffalo film
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: John Keim's breakdown of Buffalo film Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/55306/redskins-film-review-offense

He said what was to be expected about most of our players on offense, and what we've said as well. Here is what he said about our rookies Reed and thompson though:

Quote:
Reed was better as a blocker than he was a week ago, but still was not without troubles in this area. Nevertheless, heís much further ahead than I thought he would be after watching his college games. On a 13-yard Helu run, Reed and left tackle Tom Compton had a nice combo block on the right end. Reedís ability to take control early on the block enabled Compton to get to the linebacker and clear a final hurdle for Helu. The back was a little fast to this hole and probably could have set the defenders up a little better. But he made up for that by lowering his shoulder, breaking a tackle and gaining 5 extra yards. Reed made a smooth 2-yard catch on a third-and-1 in which he ran a quick out to the right and had to reach up for the ball, nearly having to jump. He caught it while being tackled. An example of subtle athleticism.

I wrote enough about Thompsonís game on the ground in my observations. I will reiterate that I like how he sets up blocks and has a good feel for the stretch zone system for a young player. On his 9-yard run he caused the end to widen and got the safety to think he was going wide, too. When he cut up, the safety could only offer an arm tackle that Thompson avoided. He also runs with a forward lean; for a little guy he doesnít get knocked back much, does he? Thompsonís fumbles are a big problem and there are durability issues, but he does have intriguing skills. I would not keep him as my third running back because I donít trust him that much. But as a fourth back (along with fullback Darrel Young)? Mike Shanahan will find a way to keep speed if the kid shows him a little something. With five corners now likely, there are possibilities.
I'm glad Reed is blocking better than expected.

What Keim says about Thompson seems to be what I was saying. Fumbling, durability concerns mean that coaches aren't going to be comfortable with him as the #3 rb, but now that Crawford is out and we'll keep 5 cbs Thompson could be kept as the 4th rb because Shanahan will find a way to keep speed if the player shows something and Thompson did on Saturday.

The defense... http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/55271/redskins-film-review-defense

The redskins use of 4 OLBs as DL worked for mixed results, once it got a Jenkins sack

Chris Neild played well in relief of Cofield

He saw the same things the rest of us saw with Amerson, Rambo and Minnifield

Quote:
I like the subtleties of the pass rush because they make a huge difference. And hereís how players, and scheme, can free defenders up even in a four-man rush. When Bowen and Orakpo are on the same side if Bowen rushes inside the guard then the guard can chip him and slide back out to help the tackle if Orakpo shoots inside. Thatís what happened on the gameís first play, though Orakpo still had a hand in Kolbís face. But later Bowen started rushing at the outside shoulder of the guard. This guaranteed Orakpo one-on-one with the tackle and the center looking to help. It did not result in a sack, but it did lead to a quick dump-off over the middle. Just something to look for at times.

Said it last week, but will say it again: I really like linebacker Will Compton, a rookie undrafted free agent. Heís worth keeping on the practice squad; decisive reads and showed quickness to the hole, beating the blockers. He and Bryan Kehl did a good job with the second unit. So, too, did Rob Jackson against starting offensive tackle Cordy Glenn. Jackson had two nice pass rushes and set the edge well; he did lose backside contain on one Spiller run in which he reversed field. And Darryl Tapp continues to play well. Heís just a strong dude, especially in the lower half. When tight end Lee Smith would try to engage him, Tapp did a great job keeping his lower half bent enough to slightly explode into Smithís pads and not lose any ground.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compton 's been catching our eye too ! Might keep him over Kehl if it came to not getting him on the P S .. I like Kehl but he's pedestrian.
Tapp might be a nice addition.. Nice veteran playmaker.. Kinda an afterthought when we picked him up but moving him to stand up LB seems to have given him a spark.
Jackson-- The man is a player, a playmaker.. Hate to lose him the first 4 games -- but better than another knee tore up ,,or pec muscle etc.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Compton 's been catching our eye too ! Might keep him over Kehl if it came to not getting him on the P S .. I like Kehl but he's pedestrian.
Tapp might be a nice addition.. Nice veteran playmaker.. Kinda an afterthought when we picked him up but moving him to stand up LB seems to have given him a spark.
Jackson-- The man is a player, a playmaker.. Hate to lose him the first 4 games -- but better than another knee tore up ,,or pec muscle etc.
I don't see us having a problem with putting Will Compton on the practice squad for a year to learn and develop, the maybe next year he can make the 53 man roster.

Kehl's been more than Pedestrian IMO, he's played well this preseason besides for a few missed tackles and he's gotten good pressure when blitzing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll really be intrigued as to how we are going to handle the LB situation. It really is a conundrum for me. Because I see Tapp making this team and I like Kehl and Compton. Barnett just looked "okay" but I need to see more from him to be assured that his legs are fine (note: please no starting an old argument - remember I've always said that I just want the best players on the field and let the chips fall where they may).

So (assuming we take 8 LBs):

Orakpo
Kerrigan
Fletcher
Riley
Tapp
Jackson
Kehl
?????

I agree that Compton could probably be stashed on the PS. But man, I like the fact that we have options now especially when Rob Jackson is going to be gone for 4 weeks.

But what happens afterward? Who gets cut from the LBs? Or will the cut come from somewhere else?

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Brian23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
I'll really be intrigued as to how we are going to handle the LB situation. It really is a conundrum for me. Because I see Tapp making this team and I like Kehl and Compton. Barnett just looked "okay" but I need to see more from him to be assured that his legs are fine (note: please no starting an old argument - remember I've always said that I just want the best players on the field and let the chips fall where they may).

Orakpo
Kerrigan
Fletcher
Riley
Tapp
Jackson
Kehl
?????

I agree that Compton could probably be stashed on the PS. But man, I like the fact that we have options now especially when Rob Jackson is going to be gone for 4 weeks.

But what happens afterward? Who gets cut from the LBs? Or will the cut come from somewhere else?

I wouldn't be surprised to see them try and find a trade partner if Tapp plays extremely well or if they want to unload Jackson. Can't see them carrying 5 OLB (Jenkins, Rak, Kerrigan, Jackson, and Tapp) and only 3 ILB's. Than again, they may run their version of the Nascar package enough we might only need 3 ILB's.
Marcus21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

Orakpo
Kerrigan
Fletcher
Riley
Tapp
Jackson
Kehl
?????

I wouldn't be surprised to see them try and find a trade partner if Tapp plays extremely well or if they want to unload Jackson. Can't see them carrying 5 OLB (Jenkins, Rak, Kerrigan, Jackson, and Tapp) and only 3 ILB's. Than again, they may run their version of the Nascar package enough we might only need 3 ILB's.

I know the saints just lost an OLB to a knee injury...Will Smith I think.....I would call to see if a trade could be worked out for a pick!!!
markrc99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote: "I'll really be intrigued as to how we are going to handle the LB situation. It really is a conundrum for me. Because I see Tapp making this team and I like Kehl and Compton. Barnett just looked "okay" but I need to see more from him to be assured that his legs are fine..."

Well, the guy you left off your list is Brandon Jenkins! e;... I see Jackson much the way others have, he hasn't shown much if anything while it would seem he's up against it (being suspended). I've noticed that some of what they've tried with Kerrigan inside, they've done with Darryl Tapp as well. The results looked mixed to me, but he's a guy I would keep. I also agree with respect to Barnett, just because they brought him in and he has a resume, that's no assurance he makes this team. Will Compton is noticeably undersized & according to PFW's scouting report, he ran a slow 40 time. He is a product of a program said to have prepared him well for the next level. Undrafted, he's not a guy that'll consistently come through contact & make plays for you. However, given that the 3rd ILB won't ever see the field under any circumstance, apart from shaking hands with opponents afterwards, neither will the 4th guy. This Vic So'oto, who seems better suited to play outside, could be a sleeper. Here's an interesting article regarding Kerrigan and his expanded role:
Quote:
"It seemed Kerrigan was everywhere for the Redskins, whose retooled pass rush has impressed throughout the tuneup for the regular season. ... From the moment the teamís No. 1 draft choice in 2011 arrived at Redskins Park, Kerrigan has been known for three things: work ethic, intelligence and inquisitiveness. Former Redskins linebacker Lorenzo Alexander once told me that Kerrigan asks more astute questions in a day than some players come up with in a season. Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett expects Kerrigan to contribute good ideas to whatever topic is being discussed. ... Boosted by the return of Orakpo, who played in only two games last season because of injury, high-energy rookie Brandon Jenkins and veteran newcomer Darryl Tapp, Washington seems much improved at outside linebacker. ... Although Kerrigan is best at overpowering opponents, he also possesses quickness, is improving at using his hands and is so versatile that Haslett uses him as an interior lineman to rush in some defensive alignments." http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/ryan-kerrigans-increasing-impact-for-the-redskins-is-no-fluke/2013/08/26/667a36b8-0e51-11e3-85b6-d27422650fd5_story.html

It's preseason so, you can't say. But if this team has a formidable pass rush & Griffin is kept in one piece they could go this year! If Kerrigan can be effective penetrating up inside & they can get into their mix getting those 3 stallions on the field at the same time, along with Cofield perhaps, look out! You read this article and for me, it's just inconceivable that this unit will be lost & void of leadership when the time comes. Kerrigan, Orakpo, they have guys that I'm confident will step up & assume that role.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote: "I'll really be intrigued as to how we are going to handle the LB situation. It really is a conundrum for me. Because I see Tapp making this team and I like Kehl and Compton. Barnett just looked "okay" but I need to see more from him to be assured that his legs are fine..."

Well, the guy you left off your list is Brandon Jenkins! e;... I see Jackson much the way others have, he hasn't shown much if anything while it would seem he's up against it (being suspended). I've noticed that some of what they've tried with Kerrigan inside, they've done with Darryl Tapp as well. The results looked mixed to me, but he's a guy I would keep. I also agree with respect to Barnett, just because they brought him in and he has a resume, that's no assurance he makes this team. Will Compton is noticeably undersized & according to PFW's scouting report, he ran a slow 40 time. He is a product of a program said to have prepared him well for the next level. Undrafted, he's not a guy that'll consistently come through contact & make plays for you. However, given that the 3rd ILB won't ever see the field under any circumstance, apart from shaking hands with opponents afterwards, neither will the 4th guy. This Vic So'oto, who seems better suited to play outside, could be a sleeper. Here's an interesting article regarding Kerrigan and his expanded role:
Quote:
"It seemed Kerrigan was everywhere for the Redskins, whose retooled pass rush has impressed throughout the tuneup for the regular season. ... From the moment the teamís No. 1 draft choice in 2011 arrived at Redskins Park, Kerrigan has been known for three things: work ethic, intelligence and inquisitiveness. Former Redskins linebacker Lorenzo Alexander once told me that Kerrigan asks more astute questions in a day than some players come up with in a season. Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett expects Kerrigan to contribute good ideas to whatever topic is being discussed. ... Boosted by the return of Orakpo, who played in only two games last season because of injury, high-energy rookie Brandon Jenkins and veteran newcomer Darryl Tapp, Washington seems much improved at outside linebacker. ... Although Kerrigan is best at overpowering opponents, he also possesses quickness, is improving at using his hands and is so versatile that Haslett uses him as an interior lineman to rush in some defensive alignments." http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/ryan-kerrigans-increasing-impact-for-the-redskins-is-no-fluke/2013/08/26/667a36b8-0e51-11e3-85b6-d27422650fd5_story.html

It's preseason so, you can't say. But if this team has a formidable pass rush & Griffin is kept in one piece they could go this year! If Kerrigan can be effective penetrating up inside & they can get into their mix getting those 3 stallions on the field at the same time, along with Cofield perhaps, look out! You read this article and for me, it's just inconceivable that this unit will be lost & void of leadership when the time comes. Kerrigan, Orakpo, they have guys that I'm confident will step up & assume that role.

Yeah, sorry the old age is getting to me. I was trying to remember the 8th LB that I had on my list when I started the post and my daughter kept interrupting me with a temper tantrum (yay toddlers!!). So I lost my train of thought in terms of my list and just put "?????". Yeah, Jenkins is on the roster. So that leaves us carrying 8 LBs (of which only 7 are available for the first 4 weeks).

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
BigJohnson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we keep 9 LBs on the roster this year.

Orakpo
Kerrigan
Tapp
Jenkins
Jackson
Fletcher
Riley
Barnett
Kehl

With Compton on the PS. I think it's pretty much a given we keep 5 OLBs this year even if thats not the norm. Those 5 are just too talented to get rid of though. Really wish Robinson hadn't gotten hurt..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohnson wrote: "I think we keep 9 LBs on the roster this year. ... With Compton on the PS. I think it's pretty much a given we keep 5 OLBs this year even if thats not the norm. Those 5 are just too talented to get rid of though. Really wish Robinson hadn't gotten hurt..."

That depth at OLB you're referring to is part of the reason I felt Rob Jackson was up against it, but I think you're right. And it's not just that they're going to go five deep at OLB because they're all good, but also because of how they want to use them. We've seen them tinkering with lining up Kerrigan & even Tapp inside, in an attempt to upgrade the pressure they sorely lacked last year. So I think you're right, if they're going to expand their use of this group, then it makes sense they'd keep all five. For me, what they'd also add is having the nose do what you've got to have him do from your undermanned front, which is aggressively attack and destroy the OC, forcing help from an OG immediately. I believe Cofield and as has already been suggested some time ago, Jarvis Jenkins are more than capable. Have either guy fire hard into that weakside A gap, affording Kerrigan some operating room to his right & Brandon Jenkins coming like a train wreck from a wide nine position, forcing the RT to get out there & you're creating some serious space for Kerrigan to breakdown the OG! Not to mention Brian Orakpo. If they can consistently get a four man jailbreak that's going to change everything. Now, you're consistently dropping seven & it's the offense having to commit more bodies to control the LOS. THAT's the surest way to make the back go.

With respect to Robinson I wish now he'd have gotten his chance elsewhere, might've been completely different for him. We know from Dan Graziano and then Rich Tandler that even if Robinson were there, under no circumstance was he going to see the field. That is, apart from a starter getting injured to the extent they couldn't go at all or a terribly lopsided scoreboard. Which raises the question, should they consider carrying six OLBs? Really, you can get a Nick Barnett anytime. Perhaps this Vic So'oto worms into the mix for a month or so?
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:
With respect to Robinson I wish now he'd have gotten his chance elsewhere, might've been completely different for him. We know from Dan Graziano and then Rich Tandler that even if Robinson were there, under no circumstance was he going to see the field. That is, apart from a starter getting injured to the extent they couldn't go at all or a terribly lopsided scoreboard. Which raises the question, should they consider carrying six OLBs? Really, you can get a Nick Barnett anytime. Perhaps this Vic So'oto worms into the mix for a month or so?

While you can get a Barnett any time, you want to have them on the roster when you need them. Carrying 6 OLBs would really force us to go thin at another position or two.
markrc99

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote: "While you can get a Barnett any time, you want to have them on the roster when you need them. Carrying 6 OLBs would really force us to go thin at another position or two."

I don't know what the team has in Nick Barnett or Vic So'oto, but do I agree with BigJohnson's point that it makes sense that they would want to be heavy at OLB. I was only saying that perhaps they'd carry So'oto through Jackson's suspension. But this is interesting, this is from Stephen Czarda, who blogs for the team:
Quote:
"Buccaneers 10th Drive Continued:
3rd and 10 <20: Orlovsky airs it out deep ..incompleteÖbut Minnifield called for a penalty.
1st and 10 <49: †Robinson stopped by Vic Soíoto who is play[ing] for a roster spot."
http://blog.redskins.com/2013/08/29/fourth-quarter-conclusions-was-tb/

That's BS isn't it? So'oto's not in play for a roster spot, is he? Seems unlikely but Czarda mentions a bunch of other bubble players with little to no hope, but he doesn't suggest they have a chance to make the team.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohnson wrote:
I think we keep 9 LBs on the roster this year.

Orakpo
Kerrigan
Tapp
Jenkins
Jackson
Fletcher
Riley
Barnett
Kehl

With Compton on the PS. I think it's pretty much a given we keep 5 OLBs this year even if thats not the norm. Those 5 are just too talented to get rid of though. Really wish Robinson hadn't gotten hurt..
Guess what? We agree! Cool Dancing

Brian23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:

What? Robinson would see a lot of time on the field. He's our best coverage LB and, at the end of last year, was always out there on 3rd downs.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:
With respect to Robinson I wish now he'd have gotten his chance elsewhere, might've been completely different for him. We know from Dan Graziano and then Rich Tandler that even if Robinson were there, under no circumstance was he going to see the field. That is, apart from a starter getting injured to the extent they couldn't go at all or a terribly lopsided scoreboard.

What do you mean? Robinson injured himself. I think it is safe to say no matter where be was playing he would have gotten injured.

Robinson was certainly going to see if the field if he was healthy. He may not have played a lot, but I'm sure they would have played him in passing situations to spell London and/or Riley like last year.

Robinson is also only a 4th round second year player, it's to be expected that he would be a reserve as he continues develop. I don't think we should feel sorry for Robinson because he was a 4th round pick and was stuck behind a veteran. Robinson would have been a reserve last year on every team in the NFL last year.

Quote:
Which raises the question, should they consider carrying six OLBs? Really, you can get a Nick Barnett anytime. Perhaps this Vic So'oto worms into the mix for a month or so?
no they should not consider keeping 6 OLBs. Yes, we can get a Nick Barnett type anytime, but we can also get So'oto anytime. There is absolutely no need to keep 6 OLBs, even 5 OLBs is a stretch. They only reason we're considering keeping 5 OLBs is because they're 5 of the best players on the team, not just the 5 best linebackers. Also, because of Rob Jackson's suspension.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: