Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Suspends FB - Jerome Felton (Substance Abuse)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: NFL Suspends FB - Jerome Felton (Substance Abuse) Reply with quote

Quote:
NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL 38s
NFL suspends Vikings FB Jerome Felton three games for violating substance abuse policy.

He's had issues in the past and they just seem to keep cropping up. Zach Line just made the roster.
Zephiel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of a big deal

How has Zach Line looked as far as blocking? That's what I'm worried about

Although I guess we do have Ellison who showed promise last year
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget where the article came from but it pointed out that Ellison was actually the better fullback last season and should have been the one going to the pro bowl. Either way the running game will be fine.
arKnaD7

I'd suspect that Rhett Ellison will move to FB during the suspension. In fact, PFF graded him better than Felton last year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/30/secret-superstar-rhett-ellison/

Quote:
Jerome Felton, however, did earning the starting honors for the NFC Pro-Bowl squad after leading the way for AP. He was our third-rated NFC fullback with a +9.3 grade on the season. He also had a +7.9 run blocking grade last year, good for second in the NFC. However, as good as Jerome Felton was last year, the wrong Viking’s fullback may have made the Pro-Bowl.

Enter Rhett Ellison. He played just 251 snaps at fullback, compared to Felton’s 402, but in those limited snaps he posted a +15.8 overall grade and a +9.8 grade in run blocking — both good for tops in the NFC and second in the entire NFL, behind only Vonta Leach.

Definitely a tough loss but I don't think it changes much. Rhett Ellison showed to be a good lead blocker when asked upon. He should benefit from this and I think he can fill In just fine.

Last edited by vikingsrule on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will also give Felton extra time to recover from his emergency appendectomy (if needed).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Ellison dominates those first three games......
jshowers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this make Zach Line a lock for the 53? I kind of hope so. He'll probably hit the PS once Felton is back but for the first 3 I would like to see him play some FB and special teams.

Also, as people have questioned, does this mean Ellison will focus more on FB duties this year? At least initially?

Do any of you think Felton's 3 game suspension could be the difference between going 2-1, 1-2, whatever? Basically, is this going to cost us?

It seems like not very much of a loss to me. It's only 3 games and we have capable fill ins at FB. Peterson also excels in a single-back set anyway.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
I hope Ellison dominates those first three games......

Agreed going forward I'd prefer mn to do away with Felton. Felton limits your offense to I formation looks since he can't play TE. Ellison is effective at both Fb as a lead blocker and at Te. With Ellison, you can shift the formation around a bit whereas Felton just doesn't have that versatility.
Freakout

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I was thinking about how versatile we could be with Gerhart as a fullback.... we are after all making Zach Line learn the position.

I hate this though because I like Felton but he really hurt his future with this move.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that we forgot was coming, Felton appealed a suspension for drunk driving arrest, this is the results of that appeal.

AndyJ1134

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
Does this make Zach Line a lock for the 53? I kind of hope so. He'll probably hit the PS once Felton is back but for the first 3 I would like to see him play some FB and special teams.

Also, as people have questioned, does this mean Ellison will focus more on FB duties this year? At least initially?

Do any of you think Felton's 3 game suspension could be the difference between going 2-1, 1-2, whatever? Basically, is this going to cost us?

It seems like not very much of a loss to me. It's only 3 games and we have capable fill ins at FB. Peterson also excels in a single-back set anyway.

There is still no reason to keep Zach Line. Ellison can take over Feltons role for the first 3 games without our team skipping a beat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Ellison is playing more fb, that could mean that mn needs another TE on the roster. I'm not sure what the fascination is with Line at Fb. He is a hybrid player who has no lead blocking experience outside of a few preseason games. He is Rb just like Toby Gerhart, who also doesn't have experience lead blocking. Being a big Rb doesn't mean you can play Fb and block properly.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyJ1134 wrote:
There is still no reason to keep Zach Line.

This is my feeling. Nothing I saw from last night's game suggests to me that he should be kept. He had another TD catch. Nice...but can he block?

If anything, this suggests that they can keep Bradley Randle on the 53-man roster, because I believe Asiata is already pretty much a lock (at least IMO).

Thx to Uncle Buck!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asiata is far from a lock IMO, I would prefer Zach Line keep his spot over Asiata and we only keep two pure RB's.

Line has showed more as a ball carrier and pass catcher this preseason than Asiata has in his entire time with the Vikings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: