Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tight End
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Tight End Reply with quote

Dustin Keller goes down to injury. A void was created at tight end.

Last night the presumed replacement for Keller, Charles Clay was given every opportunity to win the starting job. I think he was targeted a half dozen times by Ryan Tannehill and came away with one catch for 5 yards.

That performance will not cut it on a week to week basis in the NFL. So what would you do? Give Clay another chance? Promote Egnew or Sims? Look at who is available in free agency? Wait for the cut downs to 53? Or possibly look for a trade partner?

Time is running out. Your on the clock.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give Clay a pass for now. It looks like Sherman obviously wanted to target Clay early and often. I think a couple throws were off, but yes he should've had at least 3 catches and possibly a TD. I'll start worrying when it becomes a trend. He didn't have a problem with drops last season. Ask me again after the 3rd regular season game.

One thing to note: on that potential TD pass down the seam, he was double covered. That alone is going to help out the other receivers. I think Tannehill was looking to him more than he normally would because of the coaches and tried to force a couple.

I watched the game on the Miami channel CBS4 and they commented that his routes were a bit lackluster, and I agree. Needs to play more intense. He has the speed to be explosive. I'd like to see more swing type passes to him out of the backfield, like how Devlin targeted Rodriguez last night.

At the end of the day, Clay is a seam-threat type TE that won't get half a dozen catches a game. He'll be a big play threat but won't be the safety blanket that Keller looked to be. Sims will take on that role.

Egnew was invisible.

Pure TE: Sims / Egnew / Miller
H-Back: Clay / Rodriguez
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trades this late are desperation moves that rarely work out to be worth whatever was given up in the trade. A new tight end coming in and learning a new offense and developing a new relationship with Tannehill will likely provide little benefit.

I'd hope that it was just preseason and wait to see what happens moving forward. Maybe add a vet after roster cuts start leaving some quality players homeless. That way, pressure to perform is lower. But I think Clay and seems should prove to be a serviceable duo as Sims is a solid blocker and Clay a solid receiver. It won't be easy to find a Keller-caliber receiver anymore at the position.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay is not a TE....he played fullback and H-back all game...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Agreed. I look for Sims to step up big time.

UniversalAuthor
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Agreed. I look for Sims to step up big time.

UniversalAuthor
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I wait till the cuts come. I also keep track of Gresham. The more Eifert performs the more expendable he is to cinci. We do not have a seam threat TE on this roster. Philbin and Ireland are needing a win now. A new guy coming in means nothing about chemistry. Tanney and Hartline got great chemistry and he didn't practice till the season started.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytotha wrote:
To be honest I wait till the cuts come. I also keep track of Gresham. The more Eifert performs the more expendable he is to cinci. We do not have a seam threat TE on this roster. Philbin and Ireland are needing a win now. A new guy coming in means nothing about chemistry. Tanney and Hartline got great chemistry and he didn't practice till the season started.

Gresham was a name I also thought of instantly when Keller went down. While I believe Cincinnati was sincere in wanting two tight ends, I am fairly sure they'd also be willing to trade Gresham if the price was right... especially if Eifert continues to impress. Personally, I'd be willing to part with a 3rd rounder or so to get Gresham if Clay, Egnew, nor Sims can step up.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Russ57

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now Gibson is, in effect, the tight end. He is the guy making the catches over the middle in heavy trafic.

Evan and Dion would be my starting TE's. Considering what Clay has shown and how long he has had to improve, I'd cut him and keep both Evan and Lane.

Evan has much better speed than Clay and to my eyes, isn't as good/physical a blocker as Lane. He could also play special teams.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously think we are in trouble here I am not sure how much legs this Gresham rumor has but he along with a bunch of other bengals are free agents next year and more then likely the bengals will not resign him.

Dion Sims is real stiff to me and his catch radius is suspect I think he will always be a solid number 2 type

Egnew people say its his blocking that's the problem but for me I see no real athletic ability from him I hear he has it but I don't see it.

Clay is our best option but he has some limits I think his route running is much better coming from the backfield. If he puts in the work I think he can make a few plays for us but he really needs to work on the hard plant cut down the field.
CanesFinsFan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's way early and pre mature but what to you guys think about drafting Austin Seferian-Jenkins next year in the 1st? Just want to hear you thought on the kid. I have even him play but keep hearing he a graham Gronkowski type TE.

^ Thanks for the sig Delphi83^
Niedermaier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visanthe Shiancoe Please

Will we ever address the Guard position?

ADOPT-A-PHIN:

#30 Chris Clemons, SS, Miami Dolphins, 2013 Stats

49 TACKLES | 23 ASSISTS | 1 INT | 7 PASSES DEFENDED | 4 STUFF YARDS
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanesFinsFan wrote:
I know it's way early and pre mature but what to you guys think about drafting Austin Seferian-Jenkins next year in the 1st? Just want to hear you thought on the kid. I have even him play but keep hearing he a graham Gronkowski type TE.

They won't....not a Philbin type guy....too many character issues.

I do however think they could go for Eric Ebron, Colt Lyerla, or Grimble, but it is too early to talk about right now...lets see how Sims and Egnew look as the season progresses....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
CanesFinsFan wrote:

I do however think they could go for Eric Ebron, Colt Lyerla, or Grimble, but it is too early to talk about right now...lets see how Sims and Egnew look as the season progresses....

Oh ok thanks for the info I know nothing about the kid but keep hearing he's a stud but if has character issues then yea not a JP kind of guy.

^ Thanks for the sig Delphi83^
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanesFinsFan wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
CanesFinsFan wrote:

Oh ok thanks for the info I know nothing about the kid but keep hearing he's a stud but if has character issues then yea not a JP kind of guy.

I would love to have this kid. He is going to be a threat when entering the league. i believe sims had some character issues as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: