Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 Up 5 Down for Preseason Wk 3 Kansas City
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
I'm disappointed that the Steelers likely won't pay Sanders what he'll want next year, but I think the biggest priority right now in terms of locking young guys up needs to be Cortez Allen. He's looking like at best Ike's successor and at worst a great #2.

Agreed completely.

With Wheaton looking good and our ability to replace WRs well (for the most part), I wouldnt go overboard with Sanders anyway. I would like to keep him, but we wont be lost without him. However, given how awful we are at finding corners, we cant afford to lose any quality corners we find...especially with Ike in the twilight of his career.

CB will become a big need soon EVEN IF WE KEEP ALLEN. If we have Allen, and find another solid starter, I think Hawthorne will eventually become a good nickel for us. Then again I thought Curtis Brown would become that as well, so what do I know? Cool

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Bobikus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Bobikus wrote:
I'm disappointed that the Steelers likely won't pay Sanders what he'll want next year, but I think the biggest priority right now in terms of locking young guys up needs to be Cortez Allen. He's looking like at best Ike's successor and at worst a great #2.

Agreed completely.

With Wheaton looking good and our ability to replace WRs well (for the most part), I wouldnt go overboard with Sanders anyway. I would like to keep him, but we wont be lost without him. However, given how awful we are at finding corners, we cant afford to lose any quality corners we find...especially with Ike in the twilight of his career.

CB will become a big need soon EVEN IF WE KEEP ALLEN. If we have Allen, and find another solid starter, I think Hawthorne will eventually become a good nickel for us. Then again I thought Curtis Brown would become that as well, so what do I know? Cool

Regarding WRs, if Justin Browns begins to shine, I wouldn't be as unhappy if Sanders walked. We need a bigger redzone target anyway rather than just our sub-6'0 crew. Ben's a big guy anyway and should be able to take good advantage of another tall target beyond Miller.

I'm hoping Curtis Brown, Victorian, or Hawthorne show enough that one can be a nickel and the other a #2 behind Allen when Ike leaves. I was pretty high on Hawthorne before the draft and his willingness to get involved on run plays would fit real nice in a #2 role if he can cover well enough to eventually start. It's a longshot to hope that we can be fill CB needs without using a 1st-2nd day pick, but I'm really hoping we don't have to because I think TE, a true LT, and another safety are just as big of needs, and we have less high upside players at those beyond Shamarko hopefully being a solid future starter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Up 5 Down for Preseason Wk 3 Kansas City Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
5 UP
1. Cortez Allen
2. Markus Wheaton - especially catching a pass from Ben +
3. Jarvis Jones - Making Plays
4. Steve McClendon - very effective/disruptive as far as I could tell
5. Ben working with Gradkowski and very interested in the goings on of the second team etc.

5 Down
1. Special Teams - To be honest I had to look up his name, Danny Smith...the only other Steelers Special Teams coach I recall by name in all my years watching the Steelers is Bobby April and that wasn't because he was good. With a team that should need every inch they can get to make it over the hump this could be the downfall.
2. Willie Gay - he might not make the team, only problem is we don't have anybody else.
3. Josh Victorian had a rough day
4. Baron Batch was ineffective
5. Jarvis Jones injury.

yeah, dream on about Gay not making the team. Smile

AGreed on all other points. Heyward and yes, even the Ziggster is looking pretty darn good. DL might be as deep and better than the LBs. Glad to hear Jones is ok now.

Someone PLEASE explain to me why the heck Troy Poalmalu was on the field on a damn extra point in the 3rd quarter of a damn preseason game?!?!!?
Bobikus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Up 5 Down for Preseason Wk 3 Kansas City Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:

AGreed on all other points. Heyward and yes, even the Ziggster is looking pretty darn good. DL might be as deep and better than the LBs. Glad to hear Jones is ok now.

This is great because it means we can more safely focus on the secondary as far as acquisitions in the near future for defense, especially if Vince Williams or another LB can become a successor to Foote. I'm hoping Keisel can start to be phased out more soon and see how a Heyward-McLendon-Hood line works. If that trio can be a solid D-line together, then our "aging defense" is back to being all under-30. Worilds/Jones-Timmons-Williams-Woodley would give us an all under-30 LB lineup too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Up 5 Down for Preseason Wk 3 Kansas City Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

This is great because it means we can more safely focus on the secondary as far as acquisitions in the near future for defense, especially if Vince Williams or another LB can become a successor to Foote. I'm hoping Keisel can start to be phased out more soon and see how a Heyward-McLendon-Hood line works. If that trio can be a solid D-line together, then our "aging defense" is back to being all under-30. Worilds/Jones-Timmons-Williams-Woodley would give us an all under-30 LB lineup too.

Vince Williams can definitely succeed and my guess is exceed what Foote does for us.

Keisel is still darn effective. That's the "problem". I hope we do a nice rotation this season, to include rotating Ziggy out, and that Heyward, Ziggy, and Keisel all get 600-800 snaps. Problem is that what I've noticed with Heyward is that he played MUCH better when he played almost the entire game.

of course, with the rather obvious adjustments in our defensive line's play style, we still have to see how Ziggy does. He might end up being very worth signing.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziggy seems to fit a lot better in how the line was functioning this preseason, need to see how he performs in the regular season. What concerns me though is that Keisel won't be effective for too much longer, and Cam is going to be due for his next contract before we even know what we really have out of him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: