Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 Up 5 Down for Preseason Wk 3 Kansas City
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: 5 Up 5 Down for Preseason Wk 3 Kansas City Reply with quote

5 UP
1. Cortez Allen
2. Markus Wheaton - especially catching a pass from Ben +
3. Jarvis Jones - Making Plays
4. Steve McClendon - very effective/disruptive as far as I could tell
5. Ben working with Gradkowski and very interested in the goings on of the second team etc.

5 Down
1. Special Teams - To be honest I had to look up his name, Danny Smith...the only other Steelers Special Teams coach I recall by name in all my years watching the Steelers is Bobby April and that wasn't because he was good. With a team that should need every inch they can get to make it over the hump this could be the downfall.
2. Willie Gay - he might not make the team, only problem is we don't have anybody else.
3. Josh Victorian had a rough day
4. Baron Batch was ineffective
5. Jarvis Jones injury.

...you have a forum resume?
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 Up

1. Cortez Allen - - Future star and play maker at CB. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

2. Marcus Wheaton, Derek Moye and Justin Brown. Rookie WR's played well.

3. Big Ben and the offense. Pretty unstoppable except for mental mistakes by other teammates, bad calls by the refs, and penalties.

4.Steelers defense has played very well and looks solid versus run or pass.

5.Todd Haley - - Has taken heat for predictability, but did his job in putting the offense in positions to execute well. No four straight runs against 7 or 8 man fronts.

5 Down

1. Special Teams - - KOR for TD and another blocked FG. Respected ST Coach is not getting it done.

2. Mental mistakes. Dropped passes, undisciplined penalties, and being out of place on D or missing an assignment on offense.

3. The refs. They made some horrible calls and then did not meet to discuss the bad calls. They did not call a good game and it hurt the Steelers at times.

4. OL is still a work in progress. Back-ups a huge concern. There is no one who stands out besides Beachum.

5. Josh Victorian and William Gay on D and David Paulson on O. Both didn't play there best games, but Gay is always around a TD pass by the opponent. Paulson dropped a pass and continues to miss blocks or get physically beat blocking defenders.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Cortez Allen has come back strong and looked really good.

2. Markus Wheaton I know JCotch is the veteran but his speed is undeniable. With a couple better place passes he could of had multiple TDs and over a hundred yards. He was consistently behind the Chiefs DBs.

3. Jarvis Jones on the long Alex Smith run he was handled at the LOS. But after that he continued to "walk the dog" on every single pass rush afterwards. He's learning from game to game which is a great sign. Plus it's like JJ is a turnover magnet.

4. Troy Polamalu looks great and hopefully he can stay healthy because there are things that nobody else can do but him.

5. Big Ben look great I know the pocket was clean all night but when it was he looked sharp. Sometimes I don't know how he does the things he does on the field it's pretty amazing to watch.

HM Ziggy Hood I know it's preseason but he's looked really good. Something that not many have mentioned.

1. STs I swear that unit is cursed.

2. Bill Gay can't cover a plate of food. SMH

3. Dwyer I know some like him, but I watched a RB with little patients, understanding, super stiff, has one gear, one move. Gets a draw up the middle needed to make a move right or left. He chooses to run up the back of his blocker (just like his fumble)

4. Penalties killed the Steelers again. The refs called a bad game

5. Injuries.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ten Ups... (there's already enough negativity in the forum)

1. Ben - moving around great in the pocket and throwing a great ball
2. AB - stepping up as our #1
3. Troy - he's back (just please stay healthy)
4. Cortez - very happy to see him playing so well. Pulling for him.
5. Wheaton - kid can fly!
6. JJ - hopefully he will be fine ---"Steelers LB Jarvis Jones scheduled to be released from hospital today. tests last night were inconclusive as his chest injury was evaluated"
7. DL - mainly McClendon but the DL got a lot of push tonight
8. Timmons - looked good
9. OL - still shaky at times but less penalties and Ben had time to move around.
10. Dwyer - some nice runs and catches

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Last edited by JDLefebvre on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
3. Dwyer I know some like him, but I watched a RB with little patients

well duh... he's not a doctor... why would he have any patients??? Laughing

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

You're such an azzhole Laughing

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

You're such an azzhole Laughing

That's a bit harsh! Laughing

But so be it.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 UPs
1.Wheaton
2.Gradkowski
3.Moye
4.Hubbard
5.Beachum

5 DOWNS
1.GAY
2.Paulsen-horrible blocker and inconsistent hands...waste of a spot.
3.Foster, Adams, Gilbert
4.Victorian-made a business decision on the kickoff return by Davis for a TD.
5.Long-not worth a practice spot.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baxter was an UP as he recorded 2 sacks in limited playing time.

SteelProven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Sorry didn't hear your grammar sirens!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Little ones no less

...you have a forum resume?
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Sorry didn't hear your grammar sirens!!

just bustin your balls bud!

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Little ones no less

Must be a pediatrician Wink

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UP's
Ben: Coming into this week, I was worried about number 7. Not that he ever looks particularly great in the preseason, but the first two games he just looked like he didnt care. Tonight, Ben looked like the Ben we love. He was on point all night and outside of 2 or 3 throws was pretty much perfect. Had a perfect pass for a TD that was ruled incomplete after being bobbled on the ground (hate that rule), and another nice pass called back after a BS chop block call, but all in all, this is the Ben I want to see during the season.

WR corps: Really liking what I am seeing out of our top 4 guys. Some worried about Brown but I think he will have a nice year. Sanders is really proving he is ready to step up....I think he may be very hard to resign because some team will pay him next year. Markus Wheaton...its too early to say, but I do think he will eventually make everyone forget Mike Wallace and then some. Thats right, I think he will be better in 2 or 3 years. He does not have the same extra gear Wallace has, but I think he understands and runs the route tree better than Wallace ever did, and still has the ability to take the top off. Cotchery is capable. Moye looks to be the frontrunner for the 5th spot, but I hope they look hard at Justin Brown as well. He has potential.

McLendon
: Admittedly, he is selling me on him. He is dominating at the point of attack and getting upfield when he is allowed to penetrate. I am getting more and more comfortable with him as our starting NT.

Jarvis Jones: Has only played in 3 preseason games and has already shown his prowess for making plays and being disruptive. People complained about how slow he looked in the first game but I think he moved very well the last 2 games. He is deceptively fast. He will never fly around the field, but our LBs never really do. He is learning and becoming more comfortable in the D. Im not sure I would start him game 1, but he has outplayed Worlids thus far....not that that says much, but I like what he has shown.

Timmons: He is going to firmly establish himself as a surefire top ILB in this league this year. In your face, Jayme.

Front 7 Depth: We seem to have alot of depth on the DLine and at LB. Baxter damn well better get a spot over the worthless Chris Carter. Beyond that a few others are pushing for a spot as well. On the DLine, we have several capable players behind our starters, pending these guys can play at a nice level during the regular season.

Cortez Allen: Showing why people are so excited for him.

Troy 43: As a cover safety he continues to decline, but as a box safety he is still one of the best in the league. Super disruptive and teams have to account for him.

Suisham: Am I crazy in thinking he has turned a corner and is become one of the more dependable kickers? Might be premature, but there are very few kickers in this league who are great year to year. I think he has been money and will continue into this season.

DOWNs

Dwyer: Cant block to save his life, poor vision, slow.....this should be his last year as a Steeler. I could handle all that stuff if he had any work ethic.

OLine: Nothing about the line right now is really a positive. Adams still cant pass block. Foster is slow as hell. Pouncey has gotten stronger but seems to have lost technique. DeCastro has flashed but not where we need him to be. Gilbert is Gilbert. Backup OLine looked better last night but not by much. No real depth on the team.

TE's: We be hurting without Heath and even Spaeth (as a blocker). Next year they really need to look at TE.

Pass rush: Still missing for the most part. This needs to improve drastically. I wont judge it now since LeBeau never attacks much in the preseason, but I am worried that I havent seen a bit more.

LeBeau's 2 minute/prevent D: Seriously...this guy is a defensive genius and has been amazing throughout his career...so why has his 2 minute D always been less than stellar, and why does he go into prevent at the worst times? ATTACK LEBEAU....your defense is average when you let them rest on their laurels. ATTACK!!!

William Gay and CB depth
:I tried to stay optimistic about Gay, but that is over now. As a nickel, he looks just as bad as he did as starter. HOWEVER, I have no completely lost hope. If we get a pass rush going, I think it will help, so it cant be entirely pinned on him. Beyond that, we have nothing. If Ike or Allen go down...we are gonna be hurting bad.

Injuries: I cant complain too much since it hasnt been too bad, but our rookies always seem to get hurt. However, Jarvis Jones' injury doesnt seem to be serious.

Edmund Nelson: Thank god the preseason is only 4 games, because I couldnt take this idiot more than that. Listening to him is the equivalent of listening to someone with explosive diarrhea.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disappointed that the Steelers likely won't pay Sanders what he'll want next year, but I think the biggest priority right now in terms of locking young guys up needs to be Cortez Allen. He's looking like at best Ike's successor and at worst a great #2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: