Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pre-Roster Cuts Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Pre-Roster Cuts Mock Draft Reply with quote

Really wanted to drop oft-injured guys and keep some cap space free for the next class of Free Agents.

Scenario: Super Bowl Champs because I can make as good of an argument for Green Bay as anyone can make an arguement for anyone else.

Retirements:
DL Ryan Pickett~ Ryan's a smart dude. At age 34, with plenty in the bank account, He retires to the Packer Hall of Fame and moves to a player development job while avoiding becoming another Plaintiff.

Re-Signings:
TE Jermichael Finley~ I think we can realize he is self motivated enough (egotistical I may say) to warrant front loading a contract into this years cap. Something that pays him 11Mil this year (2013) before dropping his salary to 6Mil per for the remainder of the contract. Say what you want about him, he is a unique weapon taking a ton of pressure off of others.

NT BJ Raji~ I don't see the splash plays that equate out to a real big contract. But what he can do is rare and we need him. I see him getting above what Pickett is getting paid this year, with more likelihood of front loading him this year to the tune of 11Mil with the salary dropping to 7Mil per for the years following.

CB Sam Shields~ I must admit; I love Shields. But I also have to say he's one of the toughest contracts to drum up. He is a roller coaster of health and play. I think he is going to lose some physical ability in his later 20s and his game will completely fall apart at that point. But I can justify 4 years and 6Mil per year average. Cutting Tramon Williams more than pays this guy.

C Evan Dietrich-Smith~ I want him to succeed but I'm not sure he is the answer long term. I think he's worth more to us than anyone else though and Tretter makes us only willing to risk a pretty small signing bonus to bring him back on a three year deal that Ted knows could really be a one year deal.

S MD Jennings~ Signs RFA deal.

Walking Dead

WR James Jones~ I originally had us holding on to Jones, but if we win the Super Bowl, chances are Jones is in line for a big pay day this time around.

FB John Kuhn~ Unless he wants to play for the veteran minimum, his pay isn't worth it. We are moving away from needing the intangibles he's brought in the past and frankly, he's one dimensional.

OL Marshall Newhouse~ I see Newhouse playing well enough at RT to warrant an attempt to keep him. But I think he and Green Bay are mutually interested in parting ways to some degree.

DE Mike Neal~ Since getting healthy, Neal has been a real pass rushing threat. But I'm not sure he isn't better playing a versatile role in a 4-3 defense and ultimately the depth we've gathered will allow us to move on without missing a player who has been oft-injured and enigmatic.

TE Andrew Quarless~ That knee really hurt a good player from blossoming. I'm sure he will get another chance somewhere.

CJ Wilson, Johnny Jolly, Robert Francois, Graham Harrell, Jamari Lattimore.

Free Agency/Cuts
~ Tramon Williams is out, injuries, high pay declining play since that shoulder injury.

No notable Free Agents brought in.

Draft

1.32~ Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU 6'3" 245 LBS. 4.65 Forty.
~ I like Van Noy to be a 3 down inside/outside linebacker. He's a versatile playmaker with a nose for the ball. He can do it all from a variety of positions. Going back to a Brandon Chillar type here with better pass rush skill.

2.64~ Move down for a late 3, 4, and 7.

3.90~ Bene Benwikere, DB, San Jose State 5'11" 192 LBS. 4.5 Forty.
~ Big, fast, playmaking defensive back can play either cornerback or safety--he'd play safety for us. All-WAC with 7 INTs, 2 FR and 2 TD all after playing the nickel role and then starting the final 8 games at safety. Suspect this guy will be my final choice for my Round 2 pick come next May. Experience and level of competition will hold him back on draft day. Reminds me of Nick Collins playing cornerback and safety in college. Benwikere vs Myles White and La Tech.

3.96~ Josh Huff, WR, Oregon 5'11" 205 LBS. 4.45 Forty.
~I hate this years WR class already. I don't want to spend a first on a WR when Ted has picked them so well in the 2nd and 3rd. Huff is built well, with good speed and good hands. He's more than willing to be physical. Almost has what I'd call a mean streak as a blocker. He can immediately bring returns on special teams as well. My issue with the little bit I watched of Huff is that the Oregon offense is ridiculously athletic and sloppy in general when it comes to NFL timing and style. But I think Huff has the hands, speed, and ability after the catch to compliment Cobb & co. well.

4.120~ Trey Millard, FB, Oklahoma 6'1" 256 LBS. 4.65 Forty.
~ With Lacy in the fold, we're going to talk a lot more about getting a new can opener to put in front of the battering ram. Millard is a top flight pro style FB with a Swiss Army Knife style of skillset to compliment.

4.128~ Ryan Grant, WR, Tulane 6'1" 192 LBS. 4.55 Forty.
~ Grant is different than Huff. He's been very productive (one of the two dozen or so Division 1 guys to return after a 1,000 yard receiving season). But he doesn't strike you as a big play guy who can take the top off, even in the Conference USA. He's going to be the consistent Posession guy who wins a lot of one on ones with instinct and good routes followed up by terrific hands.

5. Austin Wentworth, OL, Fresno State 6'5" 300 LBS. Fat guy Forty.
~ Versatile and durable. Wentworth has been a part of some great offense in his time at Fresno State and has been the best pass protector for a while now. He will need to add strength, but I love that he could potentially play all five spots--we just have to develop him where we want him like Bahk.

6. Jeff Mathews, QB, Cornell 6'3" 225 LBS. 4.9 Forty.
~ Sleep on this guy, please. He could be a major steal come draft day. Ivy League brainpower meets NFL skillset. More upside than people realize here.

6. Jacob Pedersen, TE, Wisconsin 6'4 250 LBS. 4.75 Forty.
~ Pedersen could easily rise up draft boards and I think he will develop well in Wisconsin's new offense. He isn't the best blocker and his route running isn't what gets him open. But he's pretty sure handed, durable, hard working and has nice potential. NFL strength training and coaching will fill a lot of his holes.

7. Marcus Williams, CB, North Dakota St. 5'11" 197 LBS. 4.6 Forty.
~ The FCS Defensive Back of the Year. Ball hawk with return skills. 3 DEF TDs and 1 kick return TD. Williams showed up big in the Bison's biggest games including Minnesota and the FCS Championship Game.

7. Chris Boswell, K, Rice 6'0 200 LBS Kicker 40.
~ The big leg from this class has better consistency than Crosby. Not the consensus top kicker, but definitely worth a pick. Plenty of leg.

Last edited by ChaRisMa on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need 6 CBs. Mathews is my top SR QB (justo convinced me with all the charts) Can Wentworth play C? Like Pedersen. not sure if like Huff. If we have to waste a pick on a Kicker get me the kid from Tulane. ILB is DUMB mediocre.

Last edited by HyponGrey on Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
vang_evo9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ILB would make a difference
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Noy can play ILB. He'd be first off the bench if any of our 4 LBs go down and he'd immediately play in the 2 LB sets as well next to Mathews. I'd keep him at ILB unless Clay or Perry went down.

While I very much respect Justis' opinion, I can't find anywhere other than him and Ben Allbright that have Jeff Mathews above a 6th rounder.

Wentworth is just like Bahktiari. Potential to play wherever you want him--so long as you put him there and keep him there.

CBs are Shields, Hayward, House, Hyde, Bush in some order--that's 5. Benwikere is playing safety but could play emergency cornerback. EDIT: Oh yeah, Williams--Special teams strength coming from this unit though.

Cairo Santos (the K from Tulane) is probably going before the late 7th if he doesn't miss a kick again. I think Santos is going to get overrated and reached for. Possibly the 5th round.

WR this year stinks so far.

Last edited by ChaRisMa on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god that free agency portion of the mock makes me queezy. Theres lots i dont like.......but i do concede lots of it will be forced. 2014 FA will not be a fun one for us Sad
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who I would cut:
Hawk
Tramon
Wilson
Pickett
Jennings
Kuhn
Newhouse

Might resign:
James Jones
Raji
Quarless

Will Resign:
Finley
Shields
EDS
Neal
Jolly
Francois

1st Round Pick:

Player: Hasean Clinton-Dix

Pos: Saftey
College: Alabama
HT: 6-1
WT: 208

2nd Pick for 1st Round: WR Brandon Coleman, Rutgers, 6-5, 220
SDN40

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that cut list, you better draft a DE, probably 2

Last edited by SDN40 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blount_truth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 7th rd cb is wearing ND state bison gear. Not jackrabbit wear.
Interceptions: 6
Forced Fumbles: 1
DROY candidate. Jersey acquired.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
With that cut least you better draft a DE or 3

Honestly, if Jolly keeps this up I would love to keep him around. I just copy pasta'd my template from my preseason mock.

Datone Jones
BJ Raji
Jerel Worthy
Mike Daniels
Josh Boyd
Johnny Jolly

Yeah, your probably right, like to have a little more DL talent next time around. Afraid Pickett is one injury away from useless. Neal isn't ever going to be anything but muscle. Wilson may develop some ability to generate some pass rush this year but I don't see a way he gets in to show it.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blount_truth wrote:
Your 7th rd cb is wearing ND state bison gear. Not jackrabbit wear.

Sorry, he's a Bison.
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to draft a real good backup OLB before we get more depth on the DL.

Worthy will be back. I also think Jolly will stick around. Boyd will probably be better. We still have Jones, Neal(pending resign), Daniels, and Raji(pending resign).

We could probably get a late round gem on the D-Line. If Raji leaves we'll find a replacement NT for him.

I like Deandre Coleman out of Cal, we could nab if in the 2nd round if need be.

[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrbV4sJ5Ca8 [/url]

If we get rid of Hawk we can take a look at Christian Jones out of Florida State. Looks like Alec Olgetree 2.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42tPU2PerxU

Pair him up with Brad Jones and you got a athletic LB core. This just all depends if Manning and or Barrington develop into players.

If we don't draft a Saftey i'm gonna be pissed.

Last edited by Gopackgonerd on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
jfinley88

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really like Huff and Grant. Like you, not too many prospects that really intrigue me outside the first 2 rounds at this point.

Don't like Millard this early at this point. Or Fullback this early period. But at this point in the year, I don't really like it.

I think Matthews will go late 1st/early 2nd. It's pretty ignorant at this point to say things "like NO CHANCE he'll be there that late", but I'd be really shocked to see make him out of the 4th. Way too talented of an arm...

Nice to start seeing some mocks though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopackgonerd wrote:
I think we need to draft a real good backup OLB before we get more depth on the DL.

Worthy will be back. I also think Jolly will stick around. Boyd will probably be better. We still have Jones, Neal(pending resign), Daniels, and Raji(pending resign).

We could probably get a late round gem on the D-Line. If Raji leaves we'll find a replacement NT for him.

I like Deandre Coleman out of Cal, we could nab if in the 2nd round if need be.

[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrbV4sJ5Ca8 [/url]

If we get rid of Hawk we can take a look at Christian Jones out of Florida State. Looks like Alec Olgetree 2.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42tPU2PerxU

Pair him up with Brad Jones and you got a athletic LB core. This just all depends if Manning and or Barrington develop into players.

If we don't draft a Saftey i'm gonna be pissed.

Van Noy can play ILB and OLB. So we get an immediate upgrade at all reserve linebacker spots year one, with him becoming a starter year 2 at one of those LB spots. Hoping the competition at OLB this offseason brings out an extra quality body.

I agree we have some young guys at DL but unless Neal becomes A clear cut starter I don't see him wanting to sign on to more platoon duty when he could get a starting gig at any of 4 spots on a 4-3 team. But you had some nice points there too.

Benwikere can become a pro bowl safety and with a shallow Safety class it'll be tough to get anyone better. There are one or two 1st or 2nd round safeties in this class followed by about a dozen 3rd rounders.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
Don't really like Huff and Grant. Like you, not too many prospects that really intrigue me outside the first 2 rounds at this point.

Don't like Millard this early at this point. Or Fullback this early period. But at this point in the year, I don't really like it.

I think Matthews will go late 1st/early 2nd. It's pretty ignorant at this point to say things "like NO CHANCE he'll be there that late", but I'd be really shocked to see make him out of the 4th. Way too talented of an arm...

Nice to start seeing some mocks though.

Hoping a record number of juniors come out at WR because this class is terrible compared to the 2013 class. Originally had Grant as a third--watching some highlights--nope. would not do a 3rd for someone who doesn't have any better than average WR speed.

Felt boxed in by Us not having a fullback on the roster and I only see 2-3 FBs worth drafting. Millard sounds like he could be Will Henderson, who was one of my favorite players to watch. So I went early with his projected draft stock.

Justis beats the Mathews drum daily, and Im not sure what the knock on him is other than competition level, but Ivy League is a non-AQ for a reason I suppose. Probably have him as a late 4 for me come draft time because I won't have a QB higher than that when my Packer Big board is set.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Van Noy can play ILB. He'd be first off the bench if any of our 4 LBs go down and he'd immediately play in the 2 LB sets as well next to Mathews. I'd keep him at ILB unless Clay or Perry went down.

While I very much respect Justis' opinion, I can't find anywhere other than him and Ben Allbright that have Jeff Mathews above a 6th rounder.

Wentworth is just like Bahktiari. Potential to play wherever you want him--so long as you put him there and keep him there.

CBs are Shields, Hayward, House, Hyde, Bush in some order--that's 5. Benwikere is playing safety but could play emergency cornerback. EDIT: Oh yeah, Williams--Special teams strength coming from this unit though.

Cairo Santos (the K from Tulane) is probably going before the late 7th if he doesn't miss a kick again. I think Santos is going to get overrated and reached for. Possibly the 5th round.

WR this year stinks so far.
NVM on Tulane, FB really is too high,

The flex plan for Van Noy scares me. My spidey senses tell me there is danger there.

If WR sucks, just draft a decent return man, if they exist.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: