Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Micah Hyde - Do fans need a reality check ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a good slot guy, but I don't think he's a starting CB (sans injury). Dude's already been burned a couple times by deep guys.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone was actually saying he is the next Charles Woodson, only that he reminds people of Woodson the way he plays around the line of scrimmage. He is a great tackler and good blitzer but he still has a long way to go in coverage.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to tier them:

Williams
Shields
Hayward

Hyde

Bush
Jennings

But if Shields or Williams goes down I would think long and hard about bumping bush or jennings into that wide cb spot and letting Hayward/Hyde stay in the slots.
RCobb18

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HokieHigh wrote:
If I had to tier them:

Williams
Shields
Hayward

Hyde

Bush
Jennings

But if Shields or Williams goes down I would think long and hard about bumping bush or jennings into that wide cb spot and letting Hayward/Hyde stay in the slots.

Where would you put House? I would put him before Hyde.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HokieHigh wrote:
If I had to tier them:

Williams
Shields
Hayward

Hyde

Bush
Jennings

Jennings? Confused Confused Confused Confused
Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Hydes ability to find the right place to be and being a sureshot at tackle......but the coverage liability is big.

As far as coverage goes......of the candidate safeties playing right now i like Banjo a TON.....he could be number three safety by opening day by the time all is said and done
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopackgonerd wrote:
I remember seeing Hayward struggle in coverage in the preseason last year. People said the same thing about him. "Too slow" "Not enough recovery speed" Only positives were "Good instincts"

Man did he prove them wrong.

I think the speed thing is highly overrated. You can be the fastest player in the world and still get beat by a average speed WR.

The more and more the kid plays he'll get better at masking his so called speed deficiency. Imo Hyde has great quickness, his pursuit to the ball is surprising to me.

I want him on the field. Get him playing time. Throw him in as the 3rd down safety, our defense will be more dynamic. I believe he'll slowly but surely get more snaps during the season.

This is where we disagree. Hayward could be the best slot CB in the game with more reps. But the man will always need help over the top out wide. Hayward's lack of long speed is a skill set flaw you can't fix. No real issue with him being out there. Just not willing to give up what he is over slot to do so. Hayward is tech sound though. Haywards only real issue is the size/speed combo and how that plays out wide. Just don't see the point of it with guys like Williams, House, and Shields on the roster. All of them have better sets out there. Your only going to lose sleep about Hayward getting beat deep though. Not the case with Hyde. Hyde can be had short, mid, and long by the good ones.

Hyde is very much so Bush with better ball skills in terms of his coverage ability though. Bush might even still have a little more speed on Hyde. Not the core issue with Hyde though. You can catch him up in his hips and there are FAR TOO MANY lost steps out there. I have no real issue with the idea of Hyde playing inside right now because of all he brings in there and the help around him. But if he wants to be a player out wide he needs to truly master the press and work them into the sideline with every step taken down field, a la Al Harris.

It can happen, but much needs to be done IMO. It all comes down to what this staff wants to develop with him long term. I have little doubt Hyde will put in the work. Only so many hours in the day though and they might like the idea of him being a poor mans Woodson inside more so than a tech guy wide.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Micah Hyde - Do fans need a reality check ? Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
I'm as excited as the next guy to see a rookie show flashes, especially when it comes as a bit of a surprise, but do we need to temper ourselves a bit when it comes to Hyde ? Lots of "Woodson Jr.", "can he start" type talk being tossed around because of his playmaking abilities. I dont think he is Woodson Jr Jr Jr even on his best days. Thats just unrealistic.

The reality check, which seems to be glossed over thus far, is that he is getting beat pretty regularly in pass defense. There is a reason that Hyde lasted until the 5th round. You cant teach speed. While some are willing to overlook his deficiencies thus far, I wonder if those will be amplified once the regular season starts and teams start to game plan. Is it possible that every time he steps on the field he becomes an immediate target to isolate and be taken advantage of, thus negating where he excels most ?

This post is in no way meant to bag on the guy as he will continue to get better, but I think fans may be building this guy up to be something that his skill set may not be able to live up to.

Hyde is making Woodson-like plays on defense. He's shown outstanding tackling ability reminiscent of Charles Woodson. Hyde also seems to be able to blitz as well. He could also be a natural punt returner. We'll see how he plays in game 4. He could start sometime this season. With the Packers' CBs getting healthy, there's no need to rush things.
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Micah Hyde - Do fans need a reality check ? Reply with quote

Revel8 wrote:
SDN40 wrote:
I'm as excited as the next guy to see a rookie show flashes, especially when it comes as a bit of a surprise, but do we need to temper ourselves a bit when it comes to Hyde ? Lots of "Woodson Jr.", "can he start" type talk being tossed around because of his playmaking abilities. I dont think he is Woodson Jr Jr Jr even on his best days. Thats just unrealistic.

The reality check, which seems to be glossed over thus far, is that he is getting beat pretty regularly in pass defense. There is a reason that Hyde lasted until the 5th round. You cant teach speed. While some are willing to overlook his deficiencies thus far, I wonder if those will be amplified once the regular season starts and teams start to game plan. Is it possible that every time he steps on the field he becomes an immediate target to isolate and be taken advantage of, thus negating where he excels most ?

This post is in no way meant to bag on the guy as he will continue to get better, but I think fans may be building this guy up to be something that his skill set may not be able to live up to.

Hyde is making Woodson-like plays on defense. He's shown outstanding tackling ability reminiscent of Charles Woodson. Hyde also seems to be able to blitz as well. He could also be a natural punt returner. We'll see how he plays in game 4. He could start sometime this season. With the Packers' CBs getting healthy, there's no need to rush things.

Yeah, the style of play inside is very much so on the same page. One HUGE difference though. Woodson was three times the athlete Hyde is and could excel in single coverage with the best of them. I look at Hyde and see Bush with ball skills far more than I see Woodson.

There are two things that make CB's go high on draft day. Ball skills and man skills. Woodson had both and was one of the highest CB grades to EVER come out of college. Hyde has the ball skills all day long but comes up well short in terms of man coverage. Get him to the point where he is average in this area though and ya might just have one hell of a football player!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Micah Hyde - Do fans need a reality check ? Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Revel8 wrote:
SDN40 wrote:

Yeah, the style of play inside is very much so on the same page. One HUGE difference though. Woodson was three times the athlete Hyde is and could excel in single coverage with the best of them. I look at Hyde and see Bush with ball skills far more than I see Woodson.

There are two things that make CB's go high on draft day. Ball skills and man skills. Woodson had both and was one of the highest CB grades to EVER come out of college. Hyde has the ball skills all day long but comes up well short in terms of man coverage. Get him to the point where he is average in this area though and ya might just have one hell of a football player!

Please dont compare Hyde to Bush, or anyone on our roster for that reason, its just depressing

XBL: ShiiNyIV
squire12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Micah Hyde - Do fans need a reality check ? Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Revel8 wrote:
SDN40 wrote:

Please dont compare Hyde to Bush, or anyone on our roster for that reason, its just depressing

Agreed and adding not comparing Hyde to Woodson. The vastness between Woodson and Bush is where Hyde is now, somewhere on that continuum. Lets hope his needle moves more toward Woodson than Hyde on that continuum...but it's early in his career. Lets let it play out.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Micah Hyde - Do fans need a reality check ? Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
I think "He's like Bush if Bush could actually play" is an exception.

Last edited by HyponGrey on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Micah Hyde - Do fans need a reality check ? Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Revel8 wrote:
SDN40 wrote:

I would be fine with that comp. Bush has made a nice little career for himself. LIS, Hyde is not far off from Bush right now but with FAR better ball skills. Hyde still has some upside in coverage as well. Think most rookie CB's would be happy with that comp before they ever played a real game. Hyde is never going to be Woodson. But IMO, he is a better version on Bush right now and his career has not even started yet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush with ball skills is a favorable comparison for anyone. If Bush didn't have the worst ball skills I've ever seen, he'd be a much wealthier guy.
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madtown wrote:
Bush with ball skills is a favorable comparison for anyone. If Bush didn't have the worst ball skills I've ever seen, he'd be a much wealthier guy.

Stone cold fact right there!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: