Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Micah Hyde - Do fans need a reality check ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umphrey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll get targeted heavy in the pass game if he is on the field. Like Jarrett Bush of old, he will be thrown at with success time and time again.

For goal line defense, he might be a better play than someone like Shields when he has a short field to work with. He is good around the line of scrimmage, but I don't know how long that will work if the other team knows he's blitzing every time he's on the field.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just a good football player. It's nice to see a kid come in and show some good football ability. He tackles well, and seems to be pretty hard nosed. He should be a nice addition to this defense, can do a lot of things out there .. versatile.

To compare him to Jarrett Bush is a stretch .... Hyde is a lot more instinctual when it comes to playing in this defense. Bush never was able to show much in the way of instinct when he was on the field. He does a nice job on special teams, but that's it ... totally out of place when he's asked to play defense.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be fair to my guy JB though. He is a better athlete than Hyde as well. Not as good at football though.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
deathstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at him, he looks like a safety more than a corner. Davon House, Hayward, Al Harris - they all look like corners. Hyde looks like he should be facing the ball most of the time.

Any contribution we get from him this year will be great. Punt returning and dime corner duties is excellent value for him. I expect the staff will look for ways to get him on the field next year, leading to him being moved to safety to compete in the perpetual competition between Jennings/McMillian.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the kid is as advertised. THANK GOD this Packers staffs knows how to use him. Good chance a later years Woodson did help this staff understand how to get the most from that skill set. Kid has his flaws but he is smart, tough, and the ball skills will always hold true. I did not love him on draft day. But I did have a draftable grade there and would have like to work with him. Was not sure about the upside but felt there was a level of safe with him. Looks like the young man fell into an ideal home though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I think the kid is as advertised. THANK GOD this Packers staffs knows how to use him. Good chance a later years Woodson did help this staff understand how to get the most from that skill set. Kid has his flaws but he is smart, tough, and the ball skills will always hold true. I did not love him on draft day. But I did have a draftable grade there and would have like to work with him. Was not sure about the upside but felt there was a level of safe with him. Looks like the young man fell into an ideal home though.

I agree with you for the most part, but I think he'd get targeted and exploited relentlessly if he actually had to play in the slot on a regular basis in the regular season this year.

I love his skill set as a development #5 CB taken in the 5th round, but I definitely do not want him on the field this season.
Kal-El

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looks good against the run and in the blitz at CB, though I'm not sold on him just yet in coverage. I just haven't seen it yet. He feels more like a SS than CB to me. We'll see, though, and I'd have no problem with another good S.

Lorde <33333333
palmy50

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayt wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

I agree with you for the most part, but I think he'd get targeted and exploited relentlessly if he actually had to play in the slot on a regular basis in the regular season this year.

I love his skill set as a development #5 CB taken in the 5th round, but I definitely do not want him on the field this season.

I have seen games won with far less talent over slot. I'm kinda the other way around. I feel with tech work he could play wide. But as of right now I feel the good ones would get him far more often than I would be comfortable with. You would need some real deal faith in your safety play IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-El wrote:
He looks good against the run and in the blitz at CB, though I'm not sold on him just yet in coverage. I just haven't seen it yet. He feels more like a SS than CB to me. We'll see, though, and I'd have no problem with another good S.

Not sure I would make that move unless he fell on his face at CB. Doubt that will be the case. At the very least ya have slot ability there. Even more so in Capers defense. I agree with you in terms of his god given coverage limitations. Time will tell. Needs to master the press and understand the sidelines are his friend at this level, a la Al Harris.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
ayt wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

I have seen games won with far less talent over slot. I'm kinda the other way around. I feel with tech work he could play wide. But as of right now I feel the good ones would get him far more often than I would be comfortable with. You would need some real deal faith in your safety play IMO.

I can definitely see your point of view.

Hyde is an interesting guy. I tend to think that the larger framed the player, the more they can potentially benefit from transitioning from NCAA physical training to NFL training. I think Hyde could be one of those rare guys who massively benefits from perfecting his build as an NFL DB. Even minor gains athletically could lead to a huge payoff since he's so instinctive and physical as a player. A small gain in top speed, a small gain in short area burst, a small gain in flexibility could lead to a much better player because he is already very adept at limiting wasted movement.

He is absolutely loaded with talent. Still, as a rook with some obvious limitations, I really think he'd get exploited if he were forced into regular playing time this year.

The main thing I'm saying is that I hope we don't have to put him out there in games for 70% of the snaps in the slot this year. If he can play a limited role in a dime set, he could be very useful.

I basically have him as our #5 CB at this point. If Tramon or Shields can't go, I'm going with House outside. If Hayward can't go, I'd much rather put Shields in the slot and use House outside.

I really think teams would punish us if Hyde were to play regular snaps in the slot.

Of course, we really won't know until this season plays out. He has shown a ton so far. Given his smarts and his natural ability, he is the kind of guy who could adapt very quickly.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hyde plays well as a NB over the slot. However, I love being able to use him as a possible weapon in the dime since Hayward has the slot locked down for the forseeable future. I'd also be on board on moving Hyde to S if the staff felt the need was there. People always say don't move a guy to S until you have to, but the quality of S in the NFL is very low right now and our CB depth is very strong so if our safeties struggle early in the year I'd be okay transitioning Hyde there.

I love the kid's knack for being around the ball and love how he plays the run. He's just a phenomenal tackler. No doubt he needs work on his cover skills, but there's a damn good football player in there regardless of position.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing Hayward struggle in coverage in the preseason last year. People said the same thing about him. "Too slow" "Not enough recovery speed" Only positives were "Good instincts"

Man did he prove them wrong.

I think the speed thing is highly overrated. You can be the fastest player in the world and still get beat by a average speed WR.

The more and more the kid plays he'll get better at masking his so called speed deficiency. Imo Hyde has great quickness, his pursuit to the ball is surprising to me.

I want him on the field. Get him playing time. Throw him in as the 3rd down safety, our defense will be more dynamic. I believe he'll slowly but surely get more snaps during the season.
StinkySauce

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can tackle. I'll take him.

-------
"Give me Shackleton every time."
Cheesehead430

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard one person call him "Woodson Jr"...
Hyde is a S/CB tweener that's where the comparisons stop and that's why Capers likes him so much.
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
BartStarving

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah's a bit of a throwback. In an age of redshirts and guys coming out early, he's a smart true four-year player who was well coached in a good program. He is the exact opposite of the "raw" kid (aka Sam Shields) we so often see at the DB position. I think the reason he has sparkled so far is he comes into the season considerably more polished than your average rookie. The question I have with him is whether or not he is maxed out. Does he have enough physical skills to compete at this level? Is this as good as he's ever going to be? We'll see. So far, so good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: