Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Micah Hyde - Do fans need a reality check ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDN40

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Micah Hyde - Do fans need a reality check ? Reply with quote

I'm as excited as the next guy to see a rookie show flashes, especially when it comes as a bit of a surprise, but do we need to temper ourselves a bit when it comes to Hyde ? Lots of "Woodson Jr.", "can he start" type talk being tossed around because of his playmaking abilities. I dont think he is Woodson Jr Jr Jr even on his best days. Thats just unrealistic.

The reality check, which seems to be glossed over thus far, is that he is getting beat pretty regularly in pass defense. There is a reason that Hyde lasted until the 5th round. You cant teach speed. While some are willing to overlook his deficiencies thus far, I wonder if those will be amplified once the regular season starts and teams start to game plan. Is it possible that every time he steps on the field he becomes an immediate target to isolate and be taken advantage of, thus negating where he excels most ?

This post is in no way meant to bag on the guy as he will continue to get better, but I think fans may be building this guy up to be something that his skill set may not be able to live up to.

Last edited by SDN40 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reality check is good. One of the realities, though, is that the kid plays really well in that ten yard space on either side of the line of scrimmage. His presence seems to take away some of the things the offense might want to do. There has to be a way to use this kid.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I want to say comparing him to Woodson is unfair.

I do think there is a surprise factor involved. I know I didn't like the selection at the time, and I wasn't alone. Add surprise to success we have had with young corners like Shields and Hayward and you get raised expectations.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
SplashDive

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah is making some real nice plays in the run game and he is doing ok in pass coverage. He is getting beat a good deal, but he is probalby at best our 4th string CB. We could be doing a lot worse at 4th deep CB. The Woodson comps are way too early and they are really unfair right now.

Props to Jamison. for the sick sig!!
CactusPackFan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyde is an in the box corner. He can play physical in the slot and he is a great blitzer. Is he as instinctive as Woodson or have the game brain Woodson does? No, but so far, he's made many more plays than he's given up. Kid is a sure tackler and it's nice to see a physical corner on our team. He's also got decent ball skills and can offer up some nice instincts in the punt return game. Just cannot deny the pressures he's had along with tacklers for loss against the run. He's gotten a ton of reps due to injuries of others, and actually seems to improve each week. What more can you ask from a late round pick? I say he is a keeper.

Special Thanks To Jordyzzz for the awesome sig!
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a rookie 5th rounder. Expect mistakes. This isn't a guy we want on the field as a rookie but we feel better about it than 90% of other teams would.

Still feel Tramon may be gone.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
He's a rookie 5th rounder. Expect mistakes. This isn't a guy we want on the field as a rookie but we feel better about it than 90% of other teams would.

Still feel Tramon may be gone.

Dumbest move the Packers could make is cutting Tramon Williams. You can't have enough good corners in the NFL and one of the Packers best young CB's seems not to be able to get over his hamstring issue.
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyde already is our best tackler and he plays fantastic near the line. I fully expect him to get beat on occasion, but his overall body of work so far has been outstanding considering where he was drafted. His coverage skills will improve over time, but one thing to remember about him is he has great football instincts so far. He is always around the ball and even on the plays he has been beat on, he hasnt been "so far" out of the play that he was oblivious to what was going on. I dont think he turns he has very fluid hips when in coverage, but like I said that can be improved upon. I would feel comfortable with him starting in the same role that Woodson played with us.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been forcing this reality check on people constantly. Hyde is absolutely nothing like woodson. That is a laughable comparison. Hyde is a solid ball player with completely different strengths that seems to be exceptional value for a 5th rounder thus far.
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
I've been forcing this reality check on people constantly. Hyde is absolutely nothing like woodson. That is a laughable comparison. Hyde is a solid ball player with completely different strengths that seems to be exceptional value for a 5th rounder thus far.

The reason Hyde is being compared to Woodson is because they are playing essentially the same roles. I dont think anyone would argue that Hyde is better than Woodson, because he isnt. With that said, here is my view on the two based solely on the role they play(ed) in our defense.

I by no means am saying Hyde will be a HOF player or even that he has the skill set that Woodson has, but from what I have seen I actually think he is playing the role Woodson played better than Woodson did in his final games. I havent seen enough of Hyde to compare coverage skills, but Woodson was pretty terrible in coverage his last year and a half. It was PI or he just didnt have the speed to keep up. I think Hyde is a more physical tackler and while Woodson was a decent tackler, I just think Hyde has better fundamentals there. Woodson is probably the better blitzer, but I havent seen Hyde do to much there yet. Playing around the line and getting involved in plays, Id take Hyde right now over Woodson easily. Hyde seems to have a more LB mentality in that area.

Again, I by no means am saying he is better than Woodson when Woodson was at the top of his game, not many were. Its hard to judge on Hyde on his small sample size, but if I had to take one of them for the year based on what I have seen of Hyde and considering Woodsons age, id take Hyde 10x out of 10.

Disclaimer: Basing this off of an extremely small sample size of Hyde and the idea that he will play at his current level or better.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers
jmoney

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hyde is a guy who can be used in specific places, but if he's ever a starter I think it will be at safety.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their skillsets are NOTHING alike, playing the same position doesn't warrant a comparison.

Hyde has (i imagine) probably played the most snaps of anyone this pre-season, certainly off the top of my head anyway. Staff clearly wants him to get some reps. I suspect they want him to be ready to play early this season.
packattack86

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think Hyde should end up being a FS. He lacks the recovery speed of a starting CB but he tackles and blitzes well and is good around the LOS. We can also play him in the slot w/ Hayward.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
Their skillsets are NOTHING alike, playing the same position doesn't warrant a comparison.

Hyde has (i imagine) probably played the most snaps of anyone this pre-season, certainly off the top of my head anyway. Staff clearly wants him to get some reps. I suspect they want him to be ready to play early this season.

Likely very true. Williams is not going to be ready week 1. Maybe a few weeks into the season before he is back. Bone bruises take time!!!! Can't speed the process up either.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But but, Hyde is big and physical, so he can play Safety and Linebacker just like Woodson, and he can blitz and return, and Wodson was REALLY slow when he left!

He's not Woodson, he won't be used like Woodson, he won't start, and he may not get moved to Safety. Seriously, dat Woodson obsession.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: