Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why signing Nicks to Long-Term, BIG $ deal Scares Me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkebones

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Why signing Nicks to Long-Term, BIG $ deal Scares Me... Reply with quote

Saw this on Yahoo and thought it was a succinct overview:

Quote:
Giants WR Hakeem Nicks -- Since entering the NFL, Nicks has missed time with two hyperextended knees, a concussion, bruised ribs, groin tightness, a left foot sprain, a hip flexor, a broken big toe on his right foot, and six hamstring strains. He's undergone surgeries on his toe, right wrist, the metatarsal on his right foot, and his left knee. In 2010, he was diagnosed with compartment syndrome in his right leg.

this is why Nicks scares me so much. based on recent contract sizes for wide receivers, i just can't feel comfortable giving a large guaranteed contract to a guy who has a propensity to not be at 100%, basically ever.

I realize that others strongly feel that Nicks is the "must-have" receiver of the group. I'd like to hear thoughts/opinions about how that conviction pans out with a ~$50M contract with $~20M guaranteed as he moves into the part of his career where he is supposed to begin breaking down.
Acgott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it depends on Nicks health for the season and Randle's play.

If Nicks gets hurt a lot and/or Randle plays well then Nicks will be gone
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
A lot of it depends on Nicks health for the season and Randle's play.

If Nicks gets hurt a lot and/or Randle plays well then Nicks will be gone

I have two autographed jerseys by him... should I sell now???

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
reckless123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those injuries could frankly happen to anybody. For instance, the left ankle sprain, concussion, hyperextended knees,groin tightness. Hes injury prone but i think it would be a dumb decision to let him go.

"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Acgott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Some of those injuries could frankly happen to anybody. For instance, the left ankle sprain, concussion, hyperextended knees,groin tightness. Hes injury prone but i think it would be a dumb decision to let him go.

What contract would you offer him? He is going to be able to earn a lot more on the open market then what we would be willing to offer him and we cannot afford to give him a huge contract
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I would franchise tag him if he's healthy thisyear. If he wants 11 mill a year, I want two healthy seasons outta him. Offwr him 8 mill a year after the season

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
reckless123

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

What contract would you offer him? He is going to be able to earn a lot more on the open market then what we would be willing to offer him and we cannot afford to give him a huge contract

Honestly i would give him 10 million a year. The thing is with Hakeem, the injuries he has are different. Its not like its a persistent injury. We must not allow him to get on the free market. Thats a priority otherwise he is gone.

shotgundraw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you (OP) and I trust the FO will deal with the contract negociations accordingly.
The thing is some FO around the league WILL pay no matter what it takes to get him because some FO just suck.

Yes he is a very good WR (wanted to say great but I always thing Jerry Rice when someone's talking about great WR) and we'd be a better with him signed long term.
But is it worth it ? 20% of you cap in 2 WR and a QB ?

What I think will happen : we'll offer him a 5y contract that takes his injury history into account. He'll think "I'm worth more than that" (forgetting all these games he missed in that thought process). Some dumb GM will pay him crazy money. Most likely that desperate GM will have a poor QB. Nicks will sign and play so and so year for the rest of his career.
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame because he's easily a top 10 WR in this league when he's healthy.

I would not at all be shocked if Nicks is catching passes from Cam Newton next year. Carolina needs a WR, their GM is from the Giants FO, and Nicks played at North Carolina. They'll probably give him more money than the Giants.

It might be for the best though. Cruz has a big contract, Randle looks like he's about to break out. And the Giants love to draft WRs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Just bring in another fresh body in next year's draft to pair up with Cruz and Randle.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man looking at all those injuries together is insane. Hakeem has never played a full 16 game season. I like Gmen's plan of a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. Heck I wouldn't mind a WR in the 1st.
shotgundraw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait ... are we agreeing that Nicks won't be a giant next season ?
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shotgundraw wrote:
Wait ... are we agreeing that Nicks won't be a giant next season ?

Yes. There is this, but this was also years ago.

Quote:
In 2010 and 2011, Nicks had 155 catches for 2,244 yards and 18 touchdowns. The only other receivers to match or exceed those numbers were Calvin Johnson and Roddy White

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all writing him off too soon. What if he stays healthy this year? He's played through his injuries and hasn't missed more than a few games in a season. The Giants passing attack is what makes them a contender in this passing league; without the Cruz, Nicks, Randle trio our offense is no longer special and hardly a threat. Sorry to say it, but Eli is not an elite QB in the regular season and is often inconsistent. We have the best WR corp in the league and unless Hakeem suffers a big injury that serves as a setback in his abilities, then he is an absolute TOP priority. If Nicks is gone, I envision complete regression and ultimately a downfall for a team that is presently not only a contender, but a team that can beat any team when they're at their best. I get the financial side of it, and that we have players like JPP needing long-terms next year as well, but to win the title--which should be the only focus--you need to be a threat in the passing game. I like Rolle, but he's not worth being paid the 3rd highest safety in the league at 7 mil/yr. And although I hate to say it, Joseph may be in a Barry Cofield situation by season's end. I think letting Nicks walk would be a horrible, horrible decision, no matter how well Randle plays, unless he is unable to perform this year slowed by injuries.
reckless123

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, i see a 60 or 70 % chance he stays. I dont think we let him hit the free market. JR will do keep it as a priority to keep Nicks. This is a top potential top 5 offense with him and a top 15 offense without him or borderline.

shotgundraw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jerseyboy257 : yes not having him will be a blow, but can we afford his contract ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: