Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colts Offseason?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheUnknownTaco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Colts Offseason? Reply with quote

I hope I'm not the only Colts fan out there...

Obviously, I'd like to see the colts pick up a good corner through the draft, and maybe a DT and LB either through the draft or free agency. Out of the CBs available in the 1st round, the ones I'd think would drop to the Colts pick are Justin Miller and Corey Webster, and I think Miller would be the better pick because of Indy's CBs lack of speed.

Does anyone know of some CBs, LBs, and DTs that will be free agents and a good fit for the Colts?

Or some good low round LBs and DTs?
marvinharrison88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: colts Reply with quote

marlin jackson might make it down to the end of the first round. antwaun rogers could be a good low round draft pick a corner and so could markus curry. Any of the LSU linebackers could go in a low round. Either daniel or josh bullocks if one leaves early would be a good lower round pick for indy.
CaptainPud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the big fish in the Free Agent market would be Charles Woodson, but with Edge apparently going to be resigned, there probably isn't the money.

To be honest, I think now is the time to package Edge to another team. He will want a huge deal, he is at the peak of his marketibility, and the truth is, the 350+ carry NFL mentality now is likely to end up shortening his career significantly.

Miami would likely give up the #1 (four overall), probably some defense talent (maybe Patrick Surtain and/or a linebacker) and maybe a later pick to acquire Edge. Given Rhodes/Mungro's performance in the past, the availibility of running backs in this draft (Cadillac, Fason, even Clarett) and other low dollar FA's (Lamont Jordon, Derrick Blaylock, etc.), there might never be a better time to move him.
rblevens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that trade is wack

your saying the fourth pick overall, surtain, and a lower round pick is worth edge?

t.o. was a second rounder

corey dillon was a second rounder

edge will be the fourth pick overall...nothing else added to the deal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speculation is pretty pointless as no such trade is going to happen. They will most likely either sign him to a new deal or franchise him. I have very mixed feelings on it, but anyway...

I wonder how Polian will screw up this year's #1 pick? Hey maybe we can get another midget safety Rolling Eyes
CaptainPud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big difference. TO and Dillon were not going to resign, under any circumstances, and everyone knew it- thus the lowball offers.

Ricky Williams drew that kind of trade bait from the Saints, and I believe Miami is particularly desperate. Maybe not the late rounder, but I believe #4 and Surtain, maybe a through in other defender is possible.
Backwoodsboy65

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the dolphins will let surtain go, they need cap room b/c they are $17 mill over the cap right now. They will probably get rid of Sam Madison in a trade if anyone. But Miami wants Shaun Alexander.(along with Leinhart).

Go Dolphins.

P.S. If you were smart you would have made a trade for DE Adwale Ogunleye last season.
rblevens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polian has done a pretty good job...

passed on ryan leaf for PM

passed on ricky williams for the Edge

Bob Sanders is a pretty hard hitter...nothing is wrong with his size if he can hit

...talking about hits...Asante Samuel leveled the crap out of Stokely

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the game agaisnt the Pats this weekend its clear what the colts need to do!!

For one I wouldnt use Franchise tag on Egar James not after signing Harrison keeping one of them was the right move and James should of been the guy but they signed Harrison to long term contract and edge is not worth the top 5 pay in rbs in the Nfl your a passing team first.

You need to take that money and fix your leaky defense so you score 28 points agame instead of 35 without edge!!

Defense Tackle and Defense end and Outlinebacker and coner you need all kinds of crap on defense its time for the fans to start screaming for DEFENSE!!!!

Your team has an Elite Offense with or without James get some Defense make a trade with Buffalo for Henry if you have to hes going to cost less then james.

But for god sake get some Defense!!!

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
Namy5280

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lion King. Edgerrin James is a great running back and would garner a lot of bait from teams that would want him. Getting a draft pick from Miami and Surtain would definitely give the Colts a big boost on the defensive side, and a high pick for another premier defensive playmaker or a rookie running back in maybe Cedric Benson, Cadillac, or Ronnie. Edge practically didn't contribute at all against the New England Patriots, and it's time for the Colts to move on. As long as they have Manning and Harrison, they'll be fine.

Manning always draws the attention of every defense so it shouldn't be too hard for a running back to fit into the Colts potent offensive system. Although a unilateral team can dominate in the wildcard or even division (like the Colts did last year to the Broncos and Chiefs), a high level balance on both the offensive and defensive side wins the conference games and the super bowl. The four remaining teams: Patriots, Steelers, Falcons, and Eagles are great offensive and defensive teams. If the Colt continue to boastfully disregard strengthening their defense, they may very well be next year's Kansas City Chiefs, a potent offense, with zero defense. Especially if in any case, a key playmaker on the Colts offense were to get injured. The Colts need INSURANCE for their offense with their defense. I mean seirously, the only above average defensive player on the Colts, is the sack-leading pass rusher Dwight Freeny, and although he's amazing, he can't do it all by himself.
LION KING

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the colts they are my favorite team outside Detroit, but you guys have to fix your defense you cant let teams run the ball for 200 yards in a playoff game and control the clock for 9 mins a crack keeping all your best players on the sidelines.

James wont bring much in the open market because its flooded with Henry and Alexander and not to mention 3 rbs in the Draft and they all will go in the first round.

Portis went to washington for Bailey and some chips but really with whats out there I would let James go and use the money on the defense side get Woodson Cb draft a Defensive Tackle first round offer Buffallo 2nd rounder for Henry or hell even the A train could run in indy and you could get him cheap.

Bottom line Woodson and a Young Stud Tackle makes your defense 50% better peirod from day one.

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
donthelawdog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone makes some good points here.

I would like to give those of you who think our defense is poor some numbers to look at. The Colts led the NFL in giveaways and takeaways this year(2004) at +19 with 19 interceptions and 17 recovered fumbles. To put this in perspective ATL is at +2, PHI is at +6, NE is at +9 and PIT is at +11.

Also Freeny, who led the NFL in Sacks with 16, is not the only A caliber player on this defensive team. Check this out...the #13 NFL #3 AFC in sacks was Colt Robert Mathis with 10.5 plus 6 forced fumbles and 3 recovered fumbles. AFC #19 Raheem Brock with 6.5 sacks and 2 fumble recoveries, and AFC #29 Montae Reagor with 5 sacks. Pretty impressive front four. However, Mathis was a third down only end which was BS and one of the reasons we aren't still in the post season. When Mathis was in the game the D-line had a different energy and we actually had a pass rush. Too bad he didn't play last weekend(groin).

Now I will admit that we are hurting a little at Linebacker. Cato June was #18 overall in tackling with 110 plus 8 passes defensed and 2 fumbles recovered. David Thornton and Rob Morris weren't consistant enough for me and I truely missed Marcus washington this year. An LSU Backer would be great at the #4.

Are stong safeties are top notch! Bob Sanders and Michael Doss are incredible and both have potential to be Ed Reed-Rodney Harrison types. We should play more nickle and dime and utilize them as an extra blitzing outside linebacker.

Where we are hurting the most is cover corner and free safety. Which brings me to this...I miss David Macklin too.

I like the idea of a Miami trade for a #4 pick and a DB like Surtain and think it could even happen. If we sign Dominic Rhodes for less money and keep James Mungro we can get good value out of Edge now. Rhodes can replace Edge and Mungro is a great third down back. Remember he helped tie the "BIG RECORD" this year.

I promise everyone who reads this post that if we sign EDGE for a big multi-year deal he will start fumbling again and re-injure himself. GET RID OF HIM WHILE THE GETTING IS GOOD!! Besides, let's face it two of those New England losses are on his inability to hold onto the football. And if we win that first game we would have played New England at home.

Law Dawg out...............................
Namy5280

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those statistics don't matter if you can't perform at that level during the post-season. Defense is more than just turnovers, it's about tackling, mental focus, consistency, stopping third downs, forcing punts or kicks, allowing no big plays, run and pass defense, etc.

Also, although they may lead the league in turnovers, they still allow to many big plays. Cory Dillon had too many big yard runs during the game, the Colts didn't seem to be able to tackle at all. Statistics can lie, and in reality, besides Freeny, there isn't a defensive playmaker on the team. I don't care what the individual stats may say, there were too many times when Dillon should've been sacked for loss yards or just a few yard gains, but ended up getting the first down or +10 yard gains. Having sporadic moments of defensive playmaking isn't and should never be the standard for defense. Consistency is lacking in the Colts defense.

Also, although Edge fumbled twice in the season opener, having Rhodes and Mungro fill in for James is a big mistake. Rhodes is just as fumble prone as or more than Edgerrin, and Mungro... I don't even know anything about this guy other than the fact that he recieved the 49th TD pass. Also, I believe that if the Colts can't beat NE in Foxboro, they don't deserve to go to the Super Bowl anyways. These football players are professionals, it's their job to perform football at a high level, and weather can't be an excuse. The Colts' perpetual complaints about weather and physical defense as the limiting factor of their poor play against the Patriots is a lame excuse, which is why the Colts have been accused as being soft in the past.
inkwell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peyton is not Peyton without a running threat. First priority on this team is to always keep offense hitting on all cylinders. Systemically, because it is Peyton's greatest strength, this offense depends on the play fake. With the threat of Edge on the stretch play, it gives the OL a slight edge because of Peytons great play fake. Rhodes is NOT enough to be a workhorse back on this team. If Edge goes, we need another potential work horse quality runner, either a free agent or a Fason or Morency in the draft.

Since we have the flexibility to franchise Edge, our first priority is to keep OL intact. Pollard is a dilemma. He has been a good soldier but pass receiving TEs are at a premium and we seemingly have depth here so it might work out best for both to let him go to high bidder. Morris STILL is eminently replaceable but until we bring in his replacement, he has to stay.

The fantasy of getting Surtain AND the Dolphins first rounder is a joke, even by message boards standards. Edge has miles on him, the market is flooded with RBs and Miami's pick is very high. My guess is that we cant get value for Edge and so we franchise him and keep him. In theory we should have a lil cap room since we have new pacts with Marvin and Peyton and new contracts should be cap friendly in first year.

Since we are talking about cant happen wet dream type fantasies . . . how about a 3 way with the skins and vikes with Skins getting Moss, Minn getting Edge, Rod Gardner, one of our safeties, maybe Bashir if we can sign him first, and the Skin's number one, and us getting Smoot and the Vike's number one. With Smoot and two number ones, and out second, we should be able to find a RB and two defensive starters, maybe Travis Johnson or Shaun Cody for our DL in the first, Fason for our RB spot, if we lose an OL we could look at Khalif Barnes or Elton Brown, or DL Canty or Mike Patterson in the second round.
teroco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about trading your 1st rd. pick to Dallas for La'roi Glover and Dallas' 4th rd. pick? You do need DL help and he's been a pro bowler the last 5 yrs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: