Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Buccaneers discovered MRSA issue; Nicks, Tynes afflicted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence Tynes to file grievance against Bucs over NFI designation

Quote:
Buccaneers kicker Lawrence Tynes plans to file a a grievance against the team after it placed him on the non-football injury list Saturday instead of injured reserve. Tynes is battling MRSA, which, according to the Mayo Clinic, “is caused by a strain of staph bacteria that's become resistant to the antibiotics commonly used to treat ordinary staph infections.”

The team has agreed to pay Tynes his $840,000 base salary, even though it's not required of players who end up on the NFI list. But by not being placed on IR, Tynes will lose an accrued season toward his retirement pension.

Hence the grievance.

"This whole thing is wrong," Tynes told FoxSports.com's Mike Garafolo. "My biggest emphasis is I don't want this to happen to any current or future player. I'm going to fight this thing as long as I have to, because this team should not be allowed to do this to players.

"If I drop a 45-pound plate on my foot while lifting weights in the weight room at the facility, it's IR. So I just don't understand how my situation is any different. I went to work, I kicked, I practiced, I cold-tubbed, I hot-tubbed, I showered for all those days there. I come up with MRSA and it's a non-football injury? They're basically trying to exonerate themselves of this, and I'm not going to allow it to happen."

Put another way: By the Buccaneers putting Tynes on the NFI list instead of IR, it's their way of saying that the kicker has no proof that the MRSA infection originated at the team's facility, even if one of Tynes' teammates, guard Carl Nicks, has also been affected.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23419173/lawrence-tynes-to-file-grievance-against-bucs-over-nfi-designation
Tom Brady Tribute
ravishingone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Lawrence Tynes to file grievance against Bucs over NFI designation

Quote:
Buccaneers kicker Lawrence Tynes plans to file a a grievance against the team after it placed him on the non-football injury list Saturday instead of injured reserve. Tynes is battling MRSA, which, according to the Mayo Clinic, “is caused by a strain of staph bacteria that's become resistant to the antibiotics commonly used to treat ordinary staph infections.”

The team has agreed to pay Tynes his $840,000 base salary, even though it's not required of players who end up on the NFI list. But by not being placed on IR, Tynes will lose an accrued season toward his retirement pension.

Hence the grievance.

"This whole thing is wrong," Tynes told FoxSports.com's Mike Garafolo. "My biggest emphasis is I don't want this to happen to any current or future player. I'm going to fight this thing as long as I have to, because this team should not be allowed to do this to players.

"If I drop a 45-pound plate on my foot while lifting weights in the weight room at the facility, it's IR. So I just don't understand how my situation is any different. I went to work, I kicked, I practiced, I cold-tubbed, I hot-tubbed, I showered for all those days there. I come up with MRSA and it's a non-football injury? They're basically trying to exonerate themselves of this, and I'm not going to allow it to happen."

Put another way: By the Buccaneers putting Tynes on the NFI list instead of IR, it's their way of saying that the kicker has no proof that the MRSA infection originated at the team's facility, even if one of Tynes' teammates, guard Carl Nicks, has also been affected.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23419173/lawrence-tynes-to-file-grievance-against-bucs-over-nfi-designation

This is all about legal protecting the organization from a future lawsuit involving Tynes. Not saying I agree with their actions, but it is the reality of business today. I'm sure the organization's argument would be how could Tynes prove he didn't contract the staph infection outside the facility and then he brought it into the facility. I'm not a lawyer, just speculating.
Buc Ball

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hope if we were the source of the infection then we would own up to it and settle with Tynes. I can understand his frustration. We could maybe see a settlement where Tynes waives all rights to take action against the Bucs over this in the future and have Tynes placed on IR. We may also pay him the NFL pension money he would be due after an extra season.

They'll never prove where it came from though as it could literally have been from anywhere. He will use Nicks as an example, but I'm sure other players on the roster have had cuts/ surgical wounds that haven't been affected. Even if he's right or wrong, the organisation will come out of this looking bad unless they come up with something quickly.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the bucs trainer also got Mrsa. Tynes has a legtimate case here. The way this was handled by management was poor. I mean notifying the guy through an email? Come on. Atleast where I work they've had the courage to let people go face to face. Imagine if it was a email you recieved?

I feel for Tynes in this situation bc staph is nothing to mess around with. Especially if it was bucs team doctors who missed the staph infection the first time.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right, and he'll probably win.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
Don't forget the bucs trainer also got Mrsa. Tynes has a legtimate case here. The way this was handled by management was poor. I mean notifying the guy through an email? Come on. Atleast where I work they've had the courage to let people go face to face. Imagine if it was a email you recieved?

I feel for Tynes in this situation bc staph is nothing to mess around with. Especially if it was bucs team doctors who missed the staph infection the first time.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9592149/tampa-bay-buccaneers-treat-facility-prevent-mrsa-outbreak

I believe your facts are a little off concerning the trainer of the team. Also, I'm pretty sure since Tynes wasn't at the facility they are obligated to show some type of proof that he was notified. Certainly, sending e-mail will give a time stamp. Now, certainly a follow-up phone call probably should have been appropriate.
Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does anyone know how Carl Nicks is doing? I assume he will not play against the Jets and have Carimi or Meredith fill in for him instead, but what about for week 2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: