Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Question of the Day: Does Joe Webb make the team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
The true issue could be the impact on the passing game. If burton is out of the game, can they expect a pass? Play action could be rendered ineffective. Point is burton really has to improve as a receiver so he isn't a tell for what mn is doing on any given play

Burton off the field wouldn't really tell the defense whether its a run or pass. He's at best the 5th receiver, so he won't be on the field every play. Doesn't mean we are going to pass every time.

Burton regularly saw the field during run plays above receivers who are higher then him on the depth chart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMac79 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
The issue with putting Burton on the field on run plays is that its a pretty clear indicator that you're going to run the ball. If didn't seem to affect the run game since Peterson was a beast and even when teams knew the Vikings were running it didn't the matter.

The true issue could be the impact on the passing game. If burton is out of the game, can they expect a pass? Play action could be rendered ineffective. Point is burton really has to improve as a receiver so he isn't a tell for what mn is doing on any given play

IIRC, isn't Burton also a contributor on Special Teams as well? That could be a major factor when it comes to making a decision between him and Webb...

...And it makes for an interesting decision if that's what it comes down to: which package of versatility do you choose? Webb, who allows you to carry 2 QBs, run some trick formations/plays, maybe return some kicks, and may have some talent to be a jump-ball threat as a WR? Or Burton, who has some ability as a WR on short/intermediate routes, is a really good run blocker, and who can also contribute on special teams as a blocker, in coverage, and possibly even as a returner (he has been doing the latter in preseason)? Tough decision, because there's definitely benefits to both skillsets; if Webb could learn some of what Burton does on STs as a coverage guy, that could make Burton a bit more expendable...

I'd find a way to keep both personally.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Burton off the field wouldn't really tell the defense whether its a run or pass. He's at best the 5th receiver, so he won't be on the field every play. Doesn't mean we are going to pass every time.

Burton regularly saw the field during run plays above receivers who are higher then him on the depth chart

Right, but him not being in the game doesn't necessarily mean its a pass.
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
DudeWhat?? wrote:
actually no..don't look at the picture..because in this case it tells you nothing..i saw the live play that night..then in slow motion...im sorry guys..ponder got read to easy and he should have pulled it down...quick slant does not mean you force it in no matter what..this play was botched..pull it down..do to other option or throw it away,.

well, Cris Collinsworth, a former wide receiver himself, saw the play live too. he stated clearly the fault did not lay with Ponder. and in other instances during the game he was critical of mistakes or missed opportunities Ponder had. so i'd say he was giving a fair analysis.

yeah I never really listen to them..i just use my own eyes..sorry. it's all good...you guys say I hate ponder...im not even a Vikings fan ...its just that I saw the game.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DudeWhat?? wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
DudeWhat?? wrote:
actually no..don't look at the picture..because in this case it tells you nothing..i saw the live play that night..then in slow motion...im sorry guys..ponder got read to easy and he should have pulled it down...quick slant does not mean you force it in no matter what..this play was botched..pull it down..do to other option or throw it away,.

well, Cris Collinsworth, a former wide receiver himself, saw the play live too. he stated clearly the fault did not lay with Ponder. and in other instances during the game he was critical of mistakes or missed opportunities Ponder had. so i'd say he was giving a fair analysis.

yeah I never really listen to them..i just use my own eyes..sorry. it's all good...you guys say I hate ponder...im not even a Vikings fan ...its just that I saw the game.

At least you admit that you hate Ponder, so your judgement is clouded, even the haters of Ponder who are Vikings fans admit it was Burton's fault

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
DudeWhat?? wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
DudeWhat?? wrote:

At least you admit that you hate Ponder, so your judgement is clouded, even the haters of Ponder who are Vikings fans admit it was Burton's fault

I dont think he said that he hates Ponder. Im not sure he understands how the play unfolded based on his interpretation of the still shots provided.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
The Gnat wrote:
DudeWhat?? wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
DudeWhat?? wrote:

I dont think he said that he hates Ponder. Im not sure he understands how the play unfolded based on his interpretation of the still shots provided.

oh I understand...I just don't see it the way you guys see it..i see it from burton's view..maybe that's it...anyway...this thread was about joe webb..who is getting cut most likely and I wonder what team he will end up with.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Premature to say Webb gets cut. He looked good blocking on special teams and from the receiver position.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several in-depth studies of the INT last week, frame by frame, there is little doubt whose fault it was, and a pro analyst on tv agrees, based on his experience.

Webb's roster spot is a different, undecided question, because his roster spot depends on a number of other factors, including the grading of other WRs, other QBs, other KRs, ST players, etc.

I still believe in my most recent position; Webb will make the roster due to his versatility rather than his skills and game performances. But it might not be a surprise to see him traded or cut before week 6 and replaced on the roster by Childs.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quarterback-turned-receiver Joe Webb continued his strong preseason with five catches for 38 yards. Webb had a team-high 10 preseason catches.

Webb: "I feel I have come a long way since the day they moved me to receiver back in April, and I feel like I have made a lot of progress."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_23979026/minnesota-vikings-desmond-bishop-makes-most-his-last?source=rss

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webb should make the team on his red zone skills alone, mn needs a big jump ball wr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Webb should make the team on his red zone skills alone, mn needs a big jump ball wr

Plus Webb can serve as the emergency QB if both your starter and backup get hurt.

And then there's Bill Musgrave's fondness for gadget plays.

Think

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

Yep, we need a corner fade WR to go up and bring it down in the endzone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Yep, we need a corner fade WR to go up and bring it down in the endzone

Isn't that Rudolph?

People want to keep Sherels and the other guy and Webb? Who is getting cut?
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudolph tends to work the middle of the endzone, on more time delayed passes.

We need a big WR to go up and get that quick high arching fade throw to the corner of the endzone. Maybe it can be Patterson though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: