Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Question of the Day: Does Joe Webb make the team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those who stated that there might not necessarily be a 6th WR kept. They could keep another QB or another FB/TE in that receiver's place...or another LB.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment removed by mod. Attacking other members is not allowed!

Peppers90 on the sig.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
i'll accept his credentials over obvious anti-Ponder biased fans.

Purple Mugen, I've told you over and over to lay off the personal attacks on members. What VD stated is not against forum rules, you openly criticizing him is.

I am going to have to give you a WARNING. At this point, you need to realize that it is not acceptable to insult other forum members.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's assume both Webb and Burton make it, which I am more than OK with. Webb has shown some promise IMO and Burton has made some strong strides to becoming more the a run blocker. Does this allow Childs to remain on the PUP/IR another year?
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it "allows" Childs to remain on the PUP list. He's going to be there regardless. What happens with Webb/Burton isn't relevant to Childs' situation.

I personally believe that we won't be seeing Childs until training camp next year. However, if he were healthy enough to play this year, I think they'd pass him through waivers and then sign him to the P.S.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
disaacs wrote:
Burton had his good and his bad show tonight. As far as Webb, it's hard to say. Yes, he got his TD, but did he play any other time?

Burton had a very good night, in my estimation. I don't recall him botching many plays - actually, I only recall him botching one, and that was the INT on which he did indeed cut his route short but the ball was not perfectly placed, either. Outside of that, he made his fair share of plays and he is definitely one of the best run-blocking WRs on the team.

Ponder's throw was indeed perfectly placed. The INT was entirely Burton's fault.

Burton got a clean release to the slant on 2nd and 6...

Ponder's in the shotgun, takes a quick step and delivers the ball to fit into the 1st window (to the right of the LB covering Rudolph).

Burton inexplicably puts the brakes on (note he's almost completely stopped here)...

...then has to lunge for the ball that would have hit him in stride if he hadn't stopped. This is a slant route, it's a timing and position pattern (and the route is well designed to have Burton in a soft spot of the defense if he keeps running), it's not an inaccurate throw just because it's away from where Burton ends up, since he wasn't where he was supposed to be.

If he catches that ball he's got an easy first down.

Ponder is often inconsistent with ball placement and accuracy but this is not at all his fault.

Burton was also responsible for the delay of game penalty, when he failed to come across the formation from left to right, and Ponder had to step back from center to remind him what play they were running.

I care not for Burton..but actually no....It was ponder's fault. For some reason the defense cut off that slant..they dropped someone right in front or they read ponders eyes. Burton stopped for one or two reasons...he was going to get killed..and there was a defender in front of him...Burton was double covered on a slant...you never throw to a slant if it's double covered...ponder did not see it..and that is his fault.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude what?

Burton is single covered there with a LB in zone heading towards Burton. Burton had plenty of room to continue the route, make a catch and cover the ball. He may get hit, but the slant is intended to quickly beat the CB to the inside and get to a spot before the LB does. Burton would have done this if he kept running his route. Ponder made the correct decision, he saw an open receiver with a LB almost five yards from Burton. Burton was open.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the picture where Ponder is about to throw the ball. Burton is breaking open, and there is no one in front of him.

Burton stopped the route because he was afraid of going over the middle and taking a hit. If Burton continues the route, the linebacker has no chance at making the play as he's flat footed, and in front of Kyle Rudolph when the throw is being made.
byuvike88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both of the above comments. I have liked Burton this preseason but that one was on him.
Krauser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even think he was afraid of taking a hit (there was lots of space between him and the LB, he might've been tackled but not clocked while defenseless) -- I think he just read the route / situation wrong. Dumb mistake, like not coming across the formation when signalled on the delay of game penalty, but not a lack of courage.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
I don't even think he was afraid of taking a hit (there was lots of space between him and the LB, he might've been tackled but not clocked while defenseless) -- I think he just read the route / situation wrong. Dumb mistake, like not coming across the formation when signalled on the delay of game penalty, but not a lack of courage.

that's what i assumed too about Burton on that play.

i'm sure George Stewart explained the facts of football life to him repeatedly after that game!

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! I was looking for the 'Does Webb Make The Team' thread and accidentally clicked this thread analyzing the Ponder-to-Burton-to-SF49erDB INT. Mea culpa! { note to self .... must remember to use more care with fat fingers on a tiny keypad ... }

I'll find the Webb thread later and post my thoughts there { i.e. seems like 'Land of 10,000 Lakes Webbegone' may NOT be an article title in the Twin Cities media after all ).
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
Ooops! I was looking for the 'Does Webb Make The Team' thread and accidentally clicked this thread analyzing the Ponder-to-Burton-to-SF49erDB INT. Mea culpa! { note to self .... must remember to use more care with fat fingers on a tiny keypad ... }

I'll find the Webb thread later and post my thoughts there { i.e. seems like 'Land of 10,000 Lakes Webbegone' may NOT be an article title in the Twin Cities media after all ).

Webb making the roster could be dependent on Burton making the roster. Burton not executing plays means he could be less likely to make the roster, therefore, increasing the likelihood of Webb making the team. This is what is being discussed, care to join? Threads do evolve and a big talking point for Webb making the team is how his competition at wide receiver is performing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Purplexing wrote:

Webb making the roster could be dependent on Burton making the roster. Burton not executing plays means he could be less likely to make the roster, therefore, increasing the likelihood of Webb making the team. This is what is being discussed, care to join? Threads do evolve and a big talking point for Webb making the team is how his competition at wide receiver is performing.

My earlier stance was '....Land o' 10k Lakes Webbegone".

Now, I'm not sure, as I stated at the end of my post, which you quoted.

I'm still inclined to say he may be cut, as one of the surprise cuts. He has athleticism, but uncertainties linger about how well he will develop relative to Burton, and the need to carry an emergency QB is diminished by (1 more year of?) PS eligibility of MBLT.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see Webb as WR#6/ QB3.5, behind Burton, who 'did more good than bad' in the pre-season, and PS QB#3, MBLT.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Dude what?

Burton is single covered there with a LB in zone heading towards Burton. Burton had plenty of room to continue the route, make a catch and cover the ball. He may get hit, but the slant is intended to quickly beat the CB to the inside and get to a spot before the LB does. Burton would have done this if he kept running his route. Ponder made the correct decision, he saw an open receiver with a LB almost five yards from Burton. Burton was open.

To help Dude see, the 49ers did exactly the same thing several times on their offensive possessions, and the receiver did continue the play and made the catch. There has to be an intense bias against Ponder to blame him at all.

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: