Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Question of the Day: Does Joe Webb make the team?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Question of the Day: Does Joe Webb make the team? Reply with quote

Theres no doubt Joe Webb is an incredible athlete, but the former back-up quarterback is still struggling to find a niche. Since there may not be room for Webb as a wide receiver, Priefer has recently been trying to incorporate Webb as a gunner on special teams.

Priefer: I dont know if hes comfortable in anything yet, but I think hes becoming more comfortable with all the techniques that we teach him at the gunner position. I think athletically he can do a lot of these things, and its still a work in progress for him, to be quite honest. I like the direction in which hes going. Hes worked very, very hard.

http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikingsblog.html?article=11591953#ixzz2chapzPUD

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he'll make it only if we don't keep a 3rd QB. If we keep MBT, he's gone.
since72

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the loyalty? We don't owe him anything. He's the fourth best QB and the seventh best receiver.

No. He's gone.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put it simply, no.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not seeing Webb staying on the team. He hasn't shown much at WR in the preseason, and some of the other younger WR's have done a whole lot more. If we had the ability to stash him on the practice squad and Webb was still a rookie, I'd be all for it, but I think that we've missed that.

jshowers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Coach Leslie Frazier hinted strongly that Webb's past quarterbacking won't be a consideration at cut-down time. That's a problem for Webb, as the Vikes' top four receivers are already set, and they may only keep five. Webb proved once and for all that he's not an NFL quarterback with his cringe-worthy performance in Minnesota's Wild Card loss." - Minneapolis Star Tribune

If this is really the case, then he's gone. I always felt like we would keep him on the team even after the Cassel signing as a WR and emergency QB3, but if the brass is evaluating him solely as a WR, he can most likely start packing his bags. No doubt that some other team will sign him up ASAP, though, as they should. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him land in Washington or San Francisco.

If Webb is cut, I really hope we nut up and only keep 2 QBs on the roster and still take 6 WRs. Then maybe we can employ a more dangerous punt returner, cut Sherels (even though I have always rooted for the guy - he just can't hang in coverage), and add a better coverage guy - Felder?
milanb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since72 wrote:
What is the loyalty? We don't owe him anything. He's the fourth best QB and the seventh best receiver.

No. He's gone.

Webb saved Frazier's (and probably Spielman's) job with unexpected late season wins in 2010 and 2011. But it's a business after all, so I don't think that will factor into the decision.

The real problem the Vikings have is that neither Ponder nor Cassel has looked all that great in preseason. Beyond that is the injury factor: Ponder has gotten hurt in each of his last four seasons, while Cassel has missed significant playing time in each of the last two years. And let's not forget that Ponder and Cassel were the starting QBs for the league's 31st and 32nd ranked offences last year.

The chances of the 3rd string QB seeing playing time this year are very real. That leaves McLoed Bethel-Thompson, who got turfed out of the starting QB position at UCLA, then failed to win the starting job at Sacramento State. And what exactly has he shown in 3 years as a pro? He went undrafted, couldn't make the 49ers roster in 2010, couldn't make the Dolphins roster in 2011, and wasn't even a full-time starter in the UFL. As far as I know he hasn't taken a single snap against a first-string NFL defence, even in preseason.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. Ecclesiastes 9:11

But thats the way to bet. Jimmy The Greek
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think no....which is too bad, if they had put him at WR/KR/PR right away, he might be ready by now....
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dont think so, we need the roster spots.
Webb should not play under center again, and he really shouldnt be a WR (since he is likely not even without our top 5).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I think of when we talk about Webb is denard Robinson. Very similar athletically and both terrible QBs. I love Joe so I hope we keep him but who knows

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suggestion: convert this into a poll.

Nope.

Webb hasn't proven to be good enough to be WR#6 after the Vikings added CP and GJ, and the emergence of Burton.

Those who criticized the 3 current roster QBs as justification for keeping Webb may have missed the playoff game vs. GB and Frazier's recent comments about Webb's viability as a QB. Those posts also considered injuries to multiple QBs.... which is possible but not very likely.

Land Of 10,000 Lakes Webbegone.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as Stephen Burton has really stepped up his game, I think its very possible we just let him go.

When Childs comes off the PUP, he'll be the 6th string WR.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Seeing as Stephen Burton has really stepped up his game, I think its very possible we just let him go.

This.
26 rec. 308 yards 1 TD
467 yards to go
7 games left
byuvike88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still feel like he has a decent shot of making it. I feel he is as good I a quarterback as Bethel-Thompson and I'm not sure of the upside Bethel-Thomspon has. Webb has made some decent catches in the preseason. One thing I have liked is the way he uses his hands. Tha 4th down catch looked good!
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

Burton was just like this last pre-season as well but come the regular season he did nothing but drop the ball and catch a fluke TD.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: