Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys LB Sean Lee gets 6-year, $51M contract extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
2013-- 630k salary 2.9m cap hit
2014-- 5.5m salary 7.5m cap hit
2015-- 2.5m salary 4.5m cap hit
2016-- 3m salary 5m cap hit
2017-- 7m salary 9m cap hit
2018-- 7m salary 7m cap hit
2019-- 7m salary 7m cap hit

very team friendly when you realize we have like 6 players under contract in 2016.

look for next years salary to be restructured

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap-hit/2014/

There's gonna have to be a whole lot of shuffling next year. Lee now has the 7th highest cap hit on the Cowboys in 2014. Those seven players combine for nearly $82.5M in cap space. Romo, Ware, and Carr alone take almost $50M in cap space in 2014.

He's a good inside linebacker. I just don't get how they're going to handle his contract with all of the others next year. Does this mean cap hell? No. The accountants are too good for that. That said, it does make things more difficult.

A lot of the Cowboys deals are meant to be restructured to take advantage of the the fact you can only spread bonuses 5 years.

This year we started like 30 M over and as of yesterday we were 10M under. Laughing

Constant restructuring is not a good thing. At all. Ask the Jets.

While I agree. Most of the ones Dallas does are auto-built in. As in per-planned to happen. Our Cap wizard loves doing it.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the deal. Sean Lee seems to be the leader of that Linebacking group and that defense. IIRC Bruce Carter was complimenting him last season saying he owed Lee for getting him to play at a high level.

Great player on the field (when healthy) and a leader in the locker room. Smart of the Cowboys to lock him up.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Cowboy fans as a whole love the deal, non-Dallas fans as a whole criticize the deal. Sounds about right.

Love Lee. Heart and Soul of the Defense. He and Dez are the future of the team.

Cowboys fans dismiss any valid criticisms of the deal as "hate".

Sounds about right.

So calling Jerry Al Davis is a valid criticism? Laughing

Sure thing.

To be fair the Al Davis comment came after yours...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyMouse07 wrote:
Ring Worm Sherm wrote:
Oh Jerruh, you never stop surprising me. He's a great player, but they over paid a lil bit.

HUH?

Its these kind of talking out of my rear comments that are just dumb. First off the contract is only 16 million guaranteed. If he does end up making 8.5 Mil/Yr then it will be worth it because that means he played over 80% of defensive snaps. If Sean Lee plays over 80% of snaps then he is going to have an All-Pro year. The guy is exactly what you want at LB. So stop with the ill informed remarks.

I don't get how you can say Jerry you never stop surprising me and then say he overpaid a little bit. Just poor posting.

I'd take Lawrence Timmons 10 times out of 10 over Sean Lee and Timmons got a 5 year for 61 Million deal with less guaranteed... So the Cowboys did bad business.

- 7/24/14
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
It is really going to be fun to come back and revisit this thread about week 6.

It'll be even funnier if he's injured...(Not to wish injury on Lee)

- 7/24/14
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DallasPride28 wrote:
You gotta be kidding me. There is no way this guy is still this under rated around the league. I mean he plays for the cowboys so how do people not know about him. He's well worth that money being such an important part of the defense and being so young as well. The guy is top 5 at his position.

Nobodies underrating him... However, he is getting more money than Navorro Bowman, Daryl Washington, Derrick Johnson and Brian Cushing who are all better than him...

He gets paid just behind David Harris, D'Qwell Jackson, Lawrence Timmons, DeMeco Ryans, Patrick Willis, Paul Posluszny and James Laurinaitis.

I'd say he'sbetter than Harris, Jackson and Posluszny and on the same tier as Ryans and Laurinatis...

1. Willis
2. Cushing
3. Johnson
4. Timmons
5. Bowman
6. Washington
7. Laurinatis
8. Lee
9. Ryans

- 7/24/14
matt79511

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
It seems like almost every contract is seen as "overpaying" a player...I see it as a team trying to lock up a player they value....we have to remember...contracts are going to get bigger and bigger with the changes to the CBA....with the smaller rookie contracts, teams can now resign players or sign free agents at a higher rate.

Yeah, basically. The only FA deals that are universally praised are when a guy (usually a past his prime veteran) ends up with a deal much cheaper than everyone expected. And sure, these work out sometimes, but just as often it becomes apparent why that guy didn't get more money. I'm guilty of this, too- I thought New England got an enormous steal with Brandon Lloyd last year.

Fan posting on news in general is just a whole lot of rinse and repeat.

BlaqOptic wrote:
DallasPride28 wrote:
You gotta be kidding me. There is no way this guy is still this under rated around the league. I mean he plays for the cowboys so how do people not know about him. He's well worth that money being such an important part of the defense and being so young as well. The guy is top 5 at his position.

Nobodies underrating him... However, he is getting more money than Navorro Bowman, Daryl Washington, Derrick Johnson and Brian Cushing who are all better than him...

He gets paid just behind David Harris, D'Qwell Jackson, Lawrence Timmons, DeMeco Ryans, Patrick Willis, Paul Posluszny and James Laurinaitis.

I'd say he'sbetter than Harris, Jackson and Posluszny and on the same tier as Ryans and Laurinatis...

1. Willis
2. Cushing
3. Johnson
4. Timmons
5. Bowman
6. Washington
7. Laurinatis
8. Lee
9. Ryans

I'm not going to pretend I watched a whole lot of Chiefs games last year, but is Derrick Johnson really still that good? Like better than Bowman and Washington? I'm very skeptical of that. Plus he's much older than those guys and Lee.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
It seems like almost every contract is seen as "overpaying" a player...I see it as a team trying to lock up a player they value....we have to remember...contracts are going to get bigger and bigger with the changes to the CBA....with the smaller rookie contracts, teams can now resign players or sign free agents at a higher rate.

Yeah, basically. The only FA deals that are universally praised are when a guy (usually a past his prime veteran) ends up with a deal much cheaper than everyone expected. And sure, these work out sometimes, but just as often it becomes apparent why that guy didn't get more money. I'm guilty of this, too- I thought New England got an enormous steal with Brandon Lloyd last year.

Fan posting on news in general is just a whole lot of rinse and repeat.

BlaqOptic wrote:
DallasPride28 wrote:

1. Willis
2. Cushing
3. Johnson
4. Timmons
5. Bowman
6. Washington
7. Laurinatis
8. Lee
9. Ryans

I'm not going to pretend I watched a whole lot of Chiefs games last year, but is Derrick Johnson really still that good? Like better than Bowman and Washington? I'm very skeptical of that. Plus he's much older than those guys and Lee.

2-6 are very interchangeable.

- 7/24/14
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
DallasPride28 wrote:

1. Willis
2. Cushing
3. Johnson
4. Timmons
5. Bowman
6. Washington
7. Laurinatis
8. Lee
9. Ryans

Demeco Ryans?
Still?

Overall this is a good list.

I think Jackson rounds out #10

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:

I'd take Lawrence Timmons 10 times out of 10 over Sean Lee and Timmons got a 5 year for 61 Million deal with less guaranteed... So the Cowboys did bad business.

Only contracts rarely work out that way. Thankfully the rookie caps has done a lot to curb ridiculous contracts but even if you are the very best at your position, chances are a top 10 player (who, I think you would agree Lee is when healthy) will get a contract the next cycle that exceeds that amount of the best player. It's weird. But it happens.

The Cowboys pay very little Guaranteed as their insurance. Hopefully they will have to pay out even more because that means Lee stays healthy and that translates to more wins for Dallas.

In Redball I Trust!
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

very team friendly when you realize we have like 6 players under contract in 2016.

There's gonna have to be a whole lot of shuffling next year. Lee now has the 7th highest cap hit on the Cowboys in 2014. Those seven players combine for nearly $82.5M in cap space. Romo, Ware, and Carr alone take almost $50M in cap space in 2014.

He's a good inside linebacker. I just don't get how they're going to handle his contract with all of the others next year. Does this mean cap hell? No. The accountants are too good for that. That said, it does make things more difficult.

A lot of the Cowboys deals are meant to be restructured to take advantage of the the fact you can only spread bonuses 5 years.

This year we started like 30 M over and as of yesterday we were 10M under. Laughing

While I agree. Most of the ones Dallas does are auto-built in. As in per-planned to happen. Our Cap wizard loves doing it.

And that's great -- still doesn't mean it's a good idea in any sense. It essentially just means he's stuck doing it because he started to, unless he wants to bite the bullet and get back on the right track. Pushing current salaries into future guaranteed money consistently is a recipe for long-term issues.

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

And that's great -- still doesn't mean it's a good idea in any sense. It essentially just means he's stuck doing it because he started to, unless he wants to bite the bullet and get back on the right track. Pushing current salaries into future guaranteed money consistently is a recipe for long-term issues.

You really get no argument from me on this. It's not how I would handle it.

In Redball I Trust!
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
TheDeathStar wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
'Cause calling this an AlDavis type move or suggesting that Dallas will sit their INT leader on passing downs to save $ are totally valid Rolling Eyes

You're irrationally proud of that statistic. He tied for the team lead in INTs in 2011. That isn't even a good thing. That just highlights how poor your DBs were that year.

What was the point of most of what you just said? Seriously?

Because it has been mentioned about 3 or 4 times in this thread as justification for resigning him, when it is a silly, inconsistent, and poorly indicative statistic.

It was brought up in direct response to the idea he would be a 2 down player, which is so ludicrously stupid that I can't begin to describe it.

Yet here you are talking about *my post* Rolling Eyes
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
DallasPride28 wrote:

without going into who's better, bowman and Washington both make more per year, Johnson is older (and more importantly has an older contract) and Cushing is still on his rookie contract.

So, yeah.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:

Only contracts rarely work out that way. Thankfully the rookie caps has done a lot to curb ridiculous contracts but even if you are the very best at your position, chances are a top 10 player (who, I think you would agree Lee is when healthy) will get a contract the next cycle that exceeds that amount of the best player. It's weird. But it happens.

The Cowboys pay very little Guaranteed as their insurance. Hopefully they will have to pay out even more because that means Lee stays healthy and that translates to more wins for Dallas.

Not to mention that 5/61 is WAY more than Lee will make at best. Over a 3rd of Lee's guaranteed money is next year's salary, so it's not like Lee is hard to cut. He's a mere $1.5m in dead money in 2015 and is a net positive cut in 2016. This is not a hamstringing contract. Unless Lee has his career ended in the next two years.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:

Laughing Laughing

You must really suck at math. 5 years for 61 M is a little over 12M/year. S Lee is getting 7M a year if he plays less than 80% of the snaps, and 8.5M if he plays more than 80%.

So - effectively, Timmons is getting paid about 40-70% more on a per year basis. But thats just because the Steelers suck at doing contracts. Wink

PS - Willis is the only LB in the league that is more impactful during the game. A lot of the other LBs you named have more durability, which means they have contributed more to their teams. But make no mistake about it - if S Lee can stay healthy he is clearly one of the best LBs in the game,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: