Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colts trade RB Delone Carter to the Ravens for WR David Reed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Colts trade RB Delone Carter to the Ravens for WR David Reed Reply with quote

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: #colts trading RB Delone Carter to Baltimore Ravens. Good move for Carter. Didn't fit in team's plans.

https://twitter.com/mchappell51/status/370264211424681985

***Update***
Quote:
Breaking News: Colts trade RB Delone Carter for WR David Reed from Baltimore

https://twitter.com/JimIrsay/status/370266415070060544
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Provided we didn't give up anything higher than a 6th.

End of the line for Anthony Allen?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Breaking News: Colts trade RB Delone Carter for WR David Reed from Baltimore

https://twitter.com/JimIrsay/status/370266415070060544
Tom Brady Tribute
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I like this move. Reed is pretty much a special teams player only but trading him does clear up the WR logjam a bit. The Ravens wanting a RB in return seems odd but I think Carter is clearly going to be the #3 RB and compliments both Rice and Pierce nicely. He's that power RB they didn't have (aside from Allen who isn't worth much). Now we just have to figure out what's going to happen at WR and TE...
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 RB for a WR who probably wasn't making the team and if Im correct saving a couple hundred thousand in the process. We use two RBs so it's good to be as deep as possible. Like this move.

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this trade for Delone, with Ballard, Bradshaw and Brown and draft pick Kerwynn Williams there wasn't room for a fifth RB on the roster. Last year Carter was our goal line back and occasional third down back (especially after a few RBs went on IR) This year Carter and Donald Brown were basically fighting for the same RB spot.

I'm not so certain Reed makes the Colt's team. Even if he does there is a chance that after LaVon Brazill serves his 4 game suspension Reed will be out on the street anyways.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh I think Reed has a better chance of making the Colts roster than Carter does ours. I like Rainey/Allen behind Rice and Pierce. Allen is a good special teams player.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen is/was the lead-blocker on kick returns. I don't think he's a particularly important special teams piece. On the other hand I like Reed a lot as a special teams player and he will be missed in that regard. He can return kicks if need be but he's a really good gunner. Still, I think Carter has more value than Reed and is better than any of the other depth RBs (Pierce not included) on the roster. Who knows, he might be an asset on special teams too.
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This move tells me two things. Either the team loves what they're seeing from Aaron Mellette (AND/OR we may be making room for a WR acquisition coming soon?) Or...the team isn't sold on Rainey/Allen/Berry. Carter is
a good running back. He was just in the middle of a log jam in Indy and didn't have a spot on their roster. I like it though. We'll miss David Reeds ST play (gunning - returns) but overall it's a win situation.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
Joe Flacco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I never understood signing David Reed for 2.5 mil anyways but for another RB ? Meh. I don't understand are we going to keep like 25 RBs ? I like Rainey and Allen to make this team.

Sad
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Allen is/was the lead-blocker on kick returns. I don't think he's a particularly important special teams piece.

Allen has made some nice blocks/tackles on big special teams plays last years. I remember because I think "I guess that's why he's on the roster" every time. I know Reed has a reputation as a good gunner, but I only remember the kick returns, which he was good at when he didn't fumble.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this move has nothing to do with Delone Carter, and everything to do with David Reed.

The Ravens signed him to a $2million contract, and have probably realised he's not going to make the roster. So trading him means they can avoid cutting him and carrying dead money.

And it makes it more likely that other ST standouts, such as LaQuan Williams, can be kept around.

I doubt Carter makes the roster, which sucks for him, but that's the way it is. I'm not even convinced that the Ravens will keep three RBs this year. I think Juszczyk takes one of those spots, and replicates Allen's ST work. Rainey will go on the PS, just in case Rice or Pierce go down injured.

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
The Ravens signed him to a $2million contract, and have probably realised he's not going to make the roster. So trading him means they can avoid cutting him and carrying dead money.
The Ravens carry the same dead money whether he is cut or traded. The only way to avoid that is to have the Colts agree to pay the remaining pro rated portion of the signing bonus.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=David Reed&Position=WR&Team=Ravens

His dead cap number for the Ravens is $500,000 towards this years cap with $380,000 savings.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I don't think Damien Berry or any of our other backs bring anything to the table in terms of being a backup. I like Delone Carter. I think he'll make the roster over Berry and Allen.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHAMPIONSHIPS IN BOTH DIRECTIONS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: