Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints Cut OT Jason Smith, FA Tackles Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we grab anyone I would hope it would be Jared Gaither. If the guy can get some motivation in him, he is a beast, but his work ethic has been questioned many times. Im not saying we should sign a T, but if we did, this is who I would want.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add that KC has 2 "elite" LT's. If we were really in a pinch, I wouldnt mind trying to work out a trade there.

DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbpacker40 wrote:
Let me add that KC has 2 "elite" LT's. If we were really in a pinch, I wouldnt mind trying to work out a trade there.

(Except KC doesn't have elite anything, unless you rank [inappropriate/removed] fans being elite)

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbpacker40 wrote:

This thought hit me as well. Rather than pulling an OT off the scrap heap we obviously have enough talent at certain positions to try to snag an OT from a team who is stacked with them. That seems like the most logical option considering nobody has come up with any free agent OTs who are worth a look. Maybe that's what they're shopping Green and Starks for. We also seem pretty deep at certain positions on defense. Here's hoping, although I'll admit our offensive line seemed to play passably against Seattle. Can't expect it long term though.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilr0y wrote:
gbpacker40 wrote:

This thought hit me as well. Rather than pulling an OT off the scrap heap we obviously have enough talent at certain positions to try to snag an OT from a team who is stacked with them. That seems like the most logical option considering nobody has come up with any free agent OTs who are worth a look. Maybe that's what they're shopping Green and Starks for. We also seem pretty deep at certain positions on defense. Here's hoping, although I'll admit our offensive line seemed to play passably against Seattle. Can't expect it long term though.
You Madden Bro? It's gotta be killing you that they played well.
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Kilr0y wrote:
gbpacker40 wrote:

Matter of fact, it was killin' me. Watching the OTs play passably is like watching Graham Harrell get a few first downs. It's not something I think we should count on to happen week after week. Plus, it's just going to lull the staff into thinking we can go into the season with what we have.

I'm really still hoping for a signing or a trade at OT. It's our achilles heel. What we have there now is just not an NFL-ready set of OTs. If even one of the guys (Bak, Barclay, or Newhouse) goes down in 17 weeks, then we're REALLY up the creek. And that's not even to say that I think those 3 are particularly starting-OT caliber guys. Gaither, Jamaal Brown, whoever. That way we would at least be able to plug in the guy who is playing well that particular week.

_
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilr0y wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Kilr0y wrote:
gbpacker40 wrote:

Matter of fact, it was killin' me. Watching the OTs play passably is like watching Graham Harrell get a few first downs. It's not something I think we should count on to happen week after week. Plus, it's just going to lull the staff into thinking we can go into the season with what we have.

I'm really still hoping for a signing or a trade at OT. It's our achilles heel. What we have there now is just not an NFL-ready set of OTs. If even one of the guys (Bak, Barclay, or Newhouse) goes down in 17 weeks, then we're REALLY up the creek. And that's not even to say that I think those 3 are particularly starting-OT caliber guys. Gaither, Jamaal Brown, whoever. That way we would at least be able to plug in the guy who is playing well that particular week.

_
You do realize that both Gaither and Brown were cut from teams who wish they had guys as passable as we do right? Gaither at least has talent. Brown is... well, brown.
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaither's problem has been work ethic. I guess some believed he stroked an injury for much longer than he shouldve and he wasnt well liked in the locker room. But the guy can flat out play if he wants to. I doubt he has been humbled by his cut, but you never know, Ive seen stranger things. It might be worth a shot to bring him in, see what he can do for minimum and if he causes problems get rid of him asap.

palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaither's has a bad back. I would pass. Backs with the BIGS is very much the same as feet issues at the skills IMO. Just a matter of time before the injury shows again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Gaither's has a bad back. I would pass. Backs with the BIGS is very much the same as feet issues at the skills IMO. Just a matter of time before the injury shows again.

For a one year rental, at around the vet min, is "the injury is going to flare up again eventually" that big a concern when "eventually" may come nine months from now when he's no longer on your payroll?

Not saying I want to run out and sign Gaither, but it seems like the front office can differentiate between long-term concerns and short-term ones.

But really, if there were a great OT out there on the street, for some reason, there are teams who would sign him before the Packers would.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

For a one year rental, at around the vet min, is "the injury is going to flare up again eventually" that big a concern when "eventually" may come nine months from now when he's no longer on your payroll?

Not saying I want to run out and sign Gaither, but it seems like the front office can differentiate between long-term concerns and short-term ones.

But really, if there were a great OT out there on the street, for some reason, there are teams who would sign him before the Packers would.

I feel ya. Much to that one though. Bad fit and the man is not a winner IMO. Would MUCH rather go with Newhouse if they did not feel good about Bak or Barclay.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't they just find a Tootie Robbins type OT on the street to fill in. That seemed to work well.

For those needing help recalling him
http://www.nfl.com/player/tootierobbins/2502688/profile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: