Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints Cut OT Jason Smith, FA Tackles Available
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Saints Cut OT Jason Smith, FA Tackles Available Reply with quote

With the Saints cutting Jason Smith (former #2 overall pick) today, there are more than one talented offensive tackles currently on the market. The other being former Saints first rounder Jamaal Brown (who has been to two Pro Bowls). Obviously anything with the Packers and a free agent is a long shot, but hey we brought in VY this year in camp to compete. Do the Packers stick with Bakhtiari and Newhouse as the starters at OT going into the regular season? Should they?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/21/saints-cut-jason-smith/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The only reason anybody knows who Jason Smith is, is because of draft position. He wouldn't make our team IMO. I have seen no reason not to stick with Bak at LT and Barclay at RT.
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
No. The only reason anybody knows who Jason Smith is, is because of draft position. He wouldn't make our team IMO. I have seen no reason not to stick with Bak at LT and Barclay at RT.

I don't deny Bak is talented, but in the Rams game he got burned pretty bad once or twice. He's still a rookie. Bakhtiari, Barclay, and Newhouse would get Rodgers sacked 50 times this year. You didn't say anything about Jamaal Brown. There are some guys out there at FA, and I don't see how we can stick with what we've got at OT and genuinely expect to make a deep run this year. What happens if even one more guy goes down? One word describes us at OT: thin.

_____

Last edited by Kilr0y on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilr0y wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

I don't deny Bak is talented, but in the Rams game he got burned pretty bad once or twice. He's still a rookie. Bakhtiari, Barclay, and Newhouse would get Rodgers sacked 50 times this year. You didn't say anything about Jamaal Brown. There are some guys out there at FA, and I don't see how we can stick with what we've got at OT and genuinely expect to make a deep run this year.
I am as pessimistic about our OL as just about anybody but Jason Smith and Jammal Brown? Laughing Ok. Brown is more fragile than Justin Harrell and Smith flat out blows. Plus I don't think Brown was ever the type of athlete we would put on our line. And Pro Bowls mean nothing. No, no and no.
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilr0y wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

I don't deny Bak is talented, but in the Rams game he got burned pretty bad once or twice. He's still a rookie. Bakhtiari, Barclay, and Newhouse would get Rodgers sacked 50 times this year. You didn't say anything about Jamaal Brown. There are some guys out there at FA, and I don't see how we can stick with what we've got at OT and genuinely expect to make a deep run this year. What happens if even one more guy goes down? If I were to describe us at OT it would be thin and inexperienced.

_____

we made a deep run last year with the same crap at OT, remember that. I don't see how they are worse than last year. If anything, Bakh adds competition

PSN: ShiiNyIV
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Brown is more fragile than Justin Harrell and Smith flat out blows. Plus I don't think Brown was ever the type of athlete we would put on our line. And Pro Bowls mean nothing. No, no and no.

What "type of athlete" fits our line? Jamaal Brown is 6'6" 313lbs bench pressed 26 times at the combine started 84 games in his career and went to two pro bowls. This is not the type of athlete we would put on our line maybe that's our problem.

_________
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
we made a deep run last year

No we didn't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilr0y wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
we made a deep run last year

No we didn't.

We got beat in the 2nd round by the NFC Champions, we're terrible.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilr0y wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Brown is more fragile than Justin Harrell and Smith flat out blows. Plus I don't think Brown was ever the type of athlete we would put on our line. And Pro Bowls mean nothing. No, no and no.

What "type of athlete" fits our line? Jamaal Brown is 6'6" 313lbs bench pressed 26 times at the combine started 84 games in his career and went to two pro bowls. This is not the type of athlete we would put on our line maybe that's our problem.

_________

Yeah, maybe that is the reason he cannot get a job anywhere else in the league right now at a premium position. Rolling Eyes
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I traded up from 9 to 4 to get Jason Smith as GM of FFMD.

I'll take Clay and Raji instead.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
We got beat in the 2nd round by the NFC Champions, we're terrible.

Oh c'mon I didn't say that. We beat a joke of a Vikings team and got destroyed by San Fran. If you're calling that a deep run I differ with your definition of deep run. We were still a good team. It's just hard to be the fan of a team that NEVER makes upgrades through free agency. I don't know what you're all watching, but I would take Jamaal Brown over either of our starting tackles in a heartbeat.

PackFan4Life wrote:
Yeah, maybe that is the reason he cannot get a job anywhere else in the league right now at a premium position.

I don't know Jamaal Brown personally, so I'm not going to pretend like I know exactly why he's still a free agent. Could be rehabbing still. Could be enjoying a year off. Could be waiting for the right situation. Our starting OTs are among the worst in the league. If someone available could upgrade us we've got to pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:

It's amazing how well we nailed the 2009 first round. It's awful from top to bottom and we pull out two gems. TT gets props for that, but loses it for always sitting on free agents.

_____
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel both Newhouse and Barclay have flaws that I for one don't want long term at RT. That said, I would feel better about either IN THE PRESENT than I would with anyone on the market at this time. My hope at this point is that Bak develops nicely this year at LT and Bulaga can slide seamlessly back into his RT spot next year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilr0y wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:

It's amazing how well we nailed the 2009 first round. It's awful from top to bottom and we pull out two gems. TT gets props for that, but loses it for always sitting on free agents.

_____

Would be sweet if he signed a free agent on the cheap who went on to lead the league in TDs wouldn't it?
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually considered crazy for free agent interest, but Smith isn't a has been, he's a never was /Eddie Martel.

I just don't see anyone worthwhile for tackles. When Max Starks is starting in San Diego, its a dry position in the NFL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: