Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How The Pistol Offense Gave GB a Great Draft Class
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BartStarving

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain, I think I know where you are going with this: Could the read option offense be to the Packers offense what the Bear defense was to the Pittsburgh Steelers defense? While the rest of the NFL went one way, the Steelers were left virtually alone with the 34 defense on draft day.

It's possible but, way too early to judge. As #12 was quoted on the topic of the R/O, "This too shall pass." My guess is NFL defenses will adjust to the read rather quickly and the read will be short lived: we'll see.
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How The Pistol Offense Gave GB a Great Draft Class Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
Hey guys, I know I haven't posted in awhile. I looked for a similar topic, but didn't see anything, I apologize if someone else has already posted something like this.

I had a discussion and I thought since there are so many posters whose opinion I value I would ask your thoughts?

If you look at the 2013 NFL draft, never before have I seen the draft "experts" so, so wrong. Many are now crediting the pistol offense for that. As teams now are looking for very specific players to fit this scheme, players that maybe didn't have the highest draft stock, but fit the system were overvalued. The prime example of this is EJ Manuel, a QB who NO ONE thought was a 1st round pick, and few thought was a 2nd.

At the same time, players who a year ago would have gone in the 1st and 2nd rounds fell like a rock in the ocean. The prime example of this is Matt Barclay.

The team that perhaps gained the most from this was the Green Bay Packers. Ted Thompson didn't trade up, in fact he sometimes traded back to garner more picks and gobbled up high picks who were free falling.

With Datone Jones, Eddie Lacy, David Bakhtiari, Johnathan Franklin, and Micah Hyde, the Packers essentially netted two 1st round picks, and three 2nd round picks. All players but Franklin appear to be hits. You give TT that many talented players he's gonna make you pay.

I think its ironic that a system we will never use may end up being the best thing that happens to us.

I see why you'd think that, but I don't think the Pistol or R/O offenses had much of anything to do with these players rising or falling. The media just needs a "blame" for why their predictions are so far off reality. There is usually some excuse.

QBs with "athleticism and upside" are becoming huge reaches more and more often. Look at guys like Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Tannehill. You could say the exact same things about them as Manuel.

As far as players droping, "power RBs" like Lacy who don't seem to offer much in the passing game have been falling for a while now. Richardson is an abberation. He had elite physical attributes. Lacy was solid all around as a prospect, but had none of that "elite" you need for a 1st round RB. I don't think guys like Bakhtiari and Hyde fell all that much from where they should go. Franklin maybe a round or so, but it's not like he was a 100% slam dunk pick either. Some people are questioning him as a top 3 RB on this team. (I think they are wrong, but just saying, it's not out of the realm of discussion).
What's so elite about Richardson? he's just a bowl legged slow shifty power back, I don't see a big gap in talent between him and Lacy.
MaryTsraining3s

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How The Pistol Offense Gave GB a Great Draft Class Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
spilltray wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
Hey guys, I know I haven't posted in awhile. I looked for a similar topic, but didn't see anything, I apologize if someone else has already posted something like this.

I had a discussion and I thought since there are so many posters whose opinion I value I would ask your thoughts?

If you look at the 2013 NFL draft, never before have I seen the draft "experts" so, so wrong. Many are now crediting the pistol offense for that. As teams now are looking for very specific players to fit this scheme, players that maybe didn't have the highest draft stock, but fit the system were overvalued. The prime example of this is EJ Manuel, a QB who NO ONE thought was a 1st round pick, and few thought was a 2nd.

At the same time, players who a year ago would have gone in the 1st and 2nd rounds fell like a rock in the ocean. The prime example of this is Matt Barclay.

The team that perhaps gained the most from this was the Green Bay Packers. Ted Thompson didn't trade up, in fact he sometimes traded back to garner more picks and gobbled up high picks who were free falling.

With Datone Jones, Eddie Lacy, David Bakhtiari, Johnathan Franklin, and Micah Hyde, the Packers essentially netted two 1st round picks, and three 2nd round picks. All players but Franklin appear to be hits. You give TT that many talented players he's gonna make you pay.

I think its ironic that a system we will never use may end up being the best thing that happens to us.

I see why you'd think that, but I don't think the Pistol or R/O offenses had much of anything to do with these players rising or falling. The media just needs a "blame" for why their predictions are so far off reality. There is usually some excuse.

QBs with "athleticism and upside" are becoming huge reaches more and more often. Look at guys like Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Tannehill. You could say the exact same things about them as Manuel.

As far as players droping, "power RBs" like Lacy who don't seem to offer much in the passing game have been falling for a while now. Richardson is an abberation. He had elite physical attributes. Lacy was solid all around as a prospect, but had none of that "elite" you need for a 1st round RB. I don't think guys like Bakhtiari and Hyde fell all that much from where they should go. Franklin maybe a round or so, but it's not like he was a 100% slam dunk pick either. Some people are questioning him as a top 3 RB on this team. (I think they are wrong, but just saying, it's not out of the realm of discussion).
What's so elite about Richardson? he's just a bowl legged slow shifty power back, I don't see a big gap in talent between him and Lacy.

Im guessing one elite physical attribute with Richardson is that he lifts an astronomical amount of weight. The guy can bench presses a dump truck. And to down-play Richardsons ability on the field is just silly, the guy was a pretty solid running back for a bad Browns team in just his rookie season.
justo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda with you, but Franklin is perfect for the "pistol"/ZR offense.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: