Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphins release former Panthers, Cards CB Richard Marshall
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpastermack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless his back was starting to act up again, I don't like the move. You need more than 2 or 3 good CB's on a team in the NFL these days. I am fine with giving Davis the slot job. He will continue to get better there and is better suited than Marshal. But you just destroyed our depth. If Grimes or Patterson go down, then we are in trouble.

Maybe they plan to use the money to lock down Grimes? Between him and Carpenter we have saved a lot of money. I thought after we cut Carp we were 16 mil under the cap? So now we are close to 20 mil. What are we going to do with all of that? I guess it's nice to carry it over to next year. At this point we are going to have a ton of cap space next year to either resign a lot of guys or go after a QB if Tanny bombs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was a really interesting and informative read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1745258-miami-dolphins-will-be-better-off-without-cb-richard-marshall
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the very least, Marshall was good depth... And we always need healthy decent CBs to play in nickel and dime situations... I don't like the fact we released him at all. Our rookies need to step up, big time... I'm not a huge fan of Dimitri Patterson.

Nacho Simulation Football League
candyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
I thought this was a really interesting and informative read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1745258-miami-dolphins-will-be-better-off-without-cb-richard-marshall

I read the article as well, he does a good job explaining the logic behind the move.

Basically, Marshall and Patterson excel in the slot and struggle in the boundary positions. Nolan Carrol is not a good corner, but has done a decent job when playing outside. So in the end, Carroll>Marshall when playing outside (according to the data) and Patterson>Marshall in the slot, means Marshall would probably be a high paid backup slot corner.

CB1: Grimes, Taylor
CB2: Carroll, Davis
Slot: Patterson, J. Wilson

That is for right now, I guess the coaching staff expects that Taylor or Davis will step up and win the other starting spot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: