Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers RB Le'veon Bell injured
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Much of the question of toughness has to do with durability and the ability to stay on the field. Glass Joe is not tough. This question is asked and often realized before they are drafted. Many teams passed on Eddie Lacy because he had an issue with his toe and were concerned with the history and possible legacy of that injury as it would cost time on the playing field.

On the other end Im not sure what toughness Bell has displayed for anyone to argue that he is tough?

i don't think anybody is arguing he's tough. My point is that you're questioning it based on a legitimate injury. He had never missed a game before and he had well over 400 touches and more yards after contact than anybody in college football last season.

now if we find out he only had a bruised pinkie toe, then yeah, he has labia. But right now, we have zero reason to think otherwise.

JustPlainNasty wrote:
By my recollection Bell had less than 50 yds rushing vs Ohio State? Less than 3 yds a carry as I recall and statistics matter little as its the effect you have on the game.

yes, he had a rough game against an undefeated team

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Usually I have no clue what statistics a player has after a game as I only care about the effectiveness they have and the ability they show. I watched more on Bell last year but recently broke down and have notes on the Ohio State and Notre Dame games.

any particular reason those are the only 2 games you watched?

JustPlainNasty wrote:
I believe Dwyer is capable of doing more with less in the short and long run.

wow. Incredible.

JustPlainNasty wrote:
3-4 years and a cloud of dust. Honestly I see a lot of 2 yd runs, lost yards and frustration. I definitely don't envision many break aways as he hasn't displayed that ability at all, he will rarely ever beat people around the corner and if he does most likely someone missed an assignment or misread.

and Dwyer displays those abilities somehow?

JustPlainNasty wrote:
He has his chance like every other rookie, at this level all we care about is production so lets see when he actually gets on the field. So far he's 4 for 9 yds...2+ yds a carry.

a very useful sample size to determine a player's worth

JPN, as I said, your assessment of collegiate players is top notch, but you aren't coming across as particularly objective. I agree 100% we have concerns right now about his durability. Perhaps he was injured already, as he WAS a workhorse last year and he has never missed games in the past, so he was ripe for injury. I definitely worry that we wasted a pick on a guy who may never get healthy.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
He didn't have a great O-line in college but he doesn't have great feet, speed or quickness, any swivel or shake, he doesn't run over people, power through or spin. He doesn't necessarily have a nose for the end zone or a 1st yard marker and he doesn't have great vision. He has nice size with average all around ability. In other words if the Oline doesn't excel he will be average. I envision 80 yd games at best.
He can catch but drops more balls than you'd like or would imagine from all the talk about this ability. Perfect games to watch are Ohio State and Notre Dame from last year.

I'd much rather the combo of Dwyer & DRH and we will get 120+ game. Mix in Redman on occasion and get rid of Batch. I'd rather see Will Johnson get more opportunities and pick up another TE. I fear and have feared Bell will be gone in three years. I figured if he cut some weight he could pick up some speed, feet quickness and agility and possibly change my mind but I don't really think so. Now toughness is a question?

JPN because of you I watched that OSU game and Hankins while not dominate on the stat sheet controlled the LOS. Bell had over a hundred total yards for the game. While he isn't the faster, shiftest I believe he nimble with power. You don't gain 800+ yds after contact and not be a power back.

He is not what I would consider a power back. There are much smaller young men in college football that display more ability to get tough yards and not go down than Bell has. A great example Raymond Sanders from Kentucky runs for tougher harder yards than Bell does and he's only 187 lbs and he can light people up with his speed. I'm even more impressed with De'Anthony Thomas' ability or desire to get the tough yards. I suppose he has the ability as he should with that size but I saw very little of that desire.

One of the things that I feared or was concerned with all last year before I could've ever imagined us drafting Bell was that the three Michigan State juniors Bell, Gholston and Sims had all gone pro pretty much before the year even started. Lack of focus, want and desire seemed evident to me and was one of the main reasons they were really off my board, even Sims who displayed the most consistent ability for his position of the three.

...you have a forum resume?
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
Much of the question of toughness has to do with durability and the ability to stay on the field. Glass Joe is not tough. This question is asked and often realized before they are drafted. Many teams passed on Eddie Lacy because he had an issue with his toe and were concerned with the history and possible legacy of that injury as it would cost time on the playing field.

On the other end Im not sure what toughness Bell has displayed for anyone to argue that he is tough?

i don't think anybody is arguing he's tough. My point is that you're questioning it based on a legitimate injury. He had never missed a game before and he had well over 400 touches and more yards after contact than anybody in college football last season.

now if we find out he only had a bruised pinkie toe, then yeah, he has labia. But right now, we have zero reason to think otherwise.

JustPlainNasty wrote:
By my recollection Bell had less than 50 yds rushing vs Ohio State? Less than 3 yds a carry as I recall and statistics matter little as its the effect you have on the game.

yes, he had a rough game against an undefeated team

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Usually I have no clue what statistics a player has after a game as I only care about the effectiveness they have and the ability they show. I watched more on Bell last year but recently broke down and have notes on the Ohio State and Notre Dame games.

any particular reason those are the only 2 games you watched?

JustPlainNasty wrote:
I believe Dwyer is capable of doing more with less in the short and long run.

wow. Incredible.

JustPlainNasty wrote:
3-4 years and a cloud of dust. Honestly I see a lot of 2 yd runs, lost yards and frustration. I definitely don't envision many break aways as he hasn't displayed that ability at all, he will rarely ever beat people around the corner and if he does most likely someone missed an assignment or misread.

and Dwyer displays those abilities somehow?

JustPlainNasty wrote:
He has his chance like every other rookie, at this level all we care about is production so lets see when he actually gets on the field. So far he's 4 for 9 yds...2+ yds a carry.

a very useful sample size to determine a player's worth

JPN, as I said, your assessment of collegiate players is top notch, but you aren't coming across as particularly objective. I agree 100% we have concerns right now about his durability. Perhaps he was injured already, as he WAS a workhorse last year and he has never missed games in the past, so he was ripe for injury. I definitely worry that we wasted a pick on a guy who may never get healthy.

Any reason I only watched those two games? Because I have 120+ other Div IA teams to watch before the season starts. I try to get the most bang for my buck and Bell was hardly my concern. I broke down Bell and have notes on him from several games last year. These are just two recent games for Michigan State to get a good evaluation of what they will do against competition that can be most likened to pro talent. If it at all possible I don't want to see what they can do against Youngstown State when they will never be playing talent similar to Youngstown State.

My evaluation is based off of his college performance, everything he has done or displayed thus far has only reinforced my findings. He has his opportunity like everyone else to prove it wrong.

Dwyer displays ability ability to get in and out of breaks, he definitely displays vision and instinct to find an open lane especially when the first one has been closed. Bell does none of these.

Im not saying Dwyer is the end all be all answer, but I expect more from him based upon his abilities. I'm not a fan just telling what I see.

Somehow I think some of you think I care about Bell's success personally. It could be you Keth and I'd be tearing you apart as well and telling you what I see. For me its move on to the next guy as Im in the middle of trying to figure why anyone is excited about David Fales. Oh preseason hype..

...you have a forum resume?
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the comments about Dwyer showing more than Bell were a bit surprising is all. Only thing I saw with Dwyer is inconsistent vision, inconsistent power, inconsistent hands, inconsistent blocking, and unless Mike Adams was caving in one side of the line, inconsistent production. The only thing consistent was his fluctuating weight.

ah well.

let's hope we're both wrong and Bel and Dwyer both have a great season
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
He didn't have a great O-line in college but he doesn't have great feet, speed or quickness, any swivel or shake, he doesn't run over people, power through or spin. He doesn't necessarily have a nose for the end zone or a 1st yard marker and he doesn't have great vision. He has nice size with average all around ability. In other words if the Oline doesn't excel he will be average. I envision 80 yd games at best.
He can catch but drops more balls than you'd like or would imagine from all the talk about this ability. Perfect games to watch are Ohio State and Notre Dame from last year.

I'd much rather the combo of Dwyer & DRH and we will get 120+ game. Mix in Redman on occasion and get rid of Batch. I'd rather see Will Johnson get more opportunities and pick up another TE. I fear and have feared Bell will be gone in three years. I figured if he cut some weight he could pick up some speed, feet quickness and agility and possibly change my mind but I don't really think so. Now toughness is a question?

JPN because of you I watched that OSU game and Hankins while not dominate on the stat sheet controlled the LOS. Bell had over a hundred total yards for the game. While he isn't the faster, shiftest I believe he nimble with power. You don't gain 800+ yds after contact and not be a power back.

He is not what I would consider a power back. There are much smaller young men in college football that display more ability to get tough yards and not go down than Bell has. A great example Raymond Sanders from Kentucky runs for tougher harder yards than Bell does and he's only 187 lbs and he can light people up with his speed. I'm even more impressed with De'Anthony Thomas' ability or desire to get the tough yards. I suppose he has the ability as he should with that size but I saw very little of that desire.

One of the things that I feared or was concerned with all last year before I could've ever imagined us drafting Bell was that the three Michigan State juniors Bell, Gholston and Sims had all gone pro pretty much before the year even started. Lack of focus, want and desire seemed evident to me and was one of the main reasons they were really off my board, even Sims who displayed the most consistent ability for his position of the three.
Can't argue with that. I'm a huge Ohio state fan, and saw a lot of MSU games and that was evident
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
the comments about Dwyer showing more than Bell were a bit surprising is all. Only thing I saw with Dwyer is inconsistent vision, inconsistent power, inconsistent hands, inconsistent blocking, and unless Mike Adams was caving in one side of the line, inconsistent production. The only thing consistent was his fluctuating weight.

ah well.

let's hope we're both wrong and Bel and Dwyer both have a great season
Dwyer was one of the few players who played well on offense last night. 14 carries, 68 yds, 4.9 avg. He juked Bicarri Rambo out of his shorts Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Frankie2Gunz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/20/4642052/leveon-bell-injury-steelers-lisfranc-nfl

Looks like he has avoided the dreaded lisfranc injury according to this article. Great news for you Steeler fans.

Props to Silver&Black88 for the pimpin sig
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, if the OL does its job, I'm not that worried about Bell. I'm actually anxious to see more of Howling, personally. Everyone dismisses him because of his size, but he wouldn't be the first RB to leave Arizona and find success.

This OL, when they pull their collective heads out of their asses, can physically handle most teams.
MeanJoeGreen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we just cut him now?

(this is a joke)
Chieferific

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who gets the starting nod? LSH looked good in the first game. Dwyer did not. Dwyer looked good in the 2nd game. LSH didn't play. I assume a RBBC but who gets the start and hus the majority of carries. I'd like to see LSH. If motivation is a problem for Dwyer, I can only imagine how unmotivated he will be if he's handed the starting job.-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
#Steelers Tomlin says RB Le'Veon Bell won't play this weekend as team awaits final diagnosis post-MRI, gets 2nd opinion, per spokesman. Bad.

https://twitter.com/JMillmanRX/status/370175005796999169
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
The #Steelers believe rookie Le'Veon Bell has a lis franc injury, which could keep him out for some time. Team is pretty frustrated.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/370247518828765185
Tom Brady Tribute
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has Dejavu written all over it. Mendenhall had a rookie season similar to this.

I was really confident about bell now, not so much, now I can't help but believe the FO really screwed up here. Dwyer is a garbage RB and ill believe that until he proves otherwise. Redman isn't a starter, he is a compliment and howling IMO is a quality return man. We don't have a legit starting RB in the bunch.

Our offensive line also needs to pull their heads out of their backside and start opening holes for our RBs!

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you think the FO really screwed up here?

This is getting beyond ridiculous now

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
How can you think the FO really screwed up here?

This is getting beyond ridiculous now

I agree.

The front office cant control things like this. This isnt a matter of a player not being good...its an injury to a player that wasnt known as injury prone.

Never liked the pick of Bell, but I dont blame the front office for this. Its just our continued poor luck with 2nd round picks, for whatever reason.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: