Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Back-up QB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Back-up QB Reply with quote

Just watched 'Hard Knocks' wk.2, where we heard Jay Gruden say 'we could be in trouble if Andy goes down'.

Skelton obviously hasn't got the new play-book down yet, and Josh Johnson couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.

If we assume there is no improvement next week, are the Bengals gonna make a move to try out another back up QB ?

Tyler Thigpen, Jerrod Johnson, Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch, Matt Leinart and TJ Yeates are all sat at home waiting for the phone to ring.
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Back-up QB Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
Just watched 'Hard Knocks' wk.2, where we heard Jay Gruden say 'we could be in trouble if Andy goes down'.

Skelton obviously hasn't got the new play-book down yet, and Josh Johnson couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.

If we assume there is no improvement next week, are the Bengals gonna make a move to try out another back up QB ?

Tyler Thigpen, Jerrod Johnson, Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch, Matt Leinart and TJ Yeates are all sat at home waiting for the phone to ring.

Yates is still on the Texans.

The rest i wouldn't touch. Don't think they're any better than Johnson.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Gruden seems intent to make Johnson look good enough to justify drafting him years ago. I'd go Skelton myself, but noone asked me.

Even if Skelton is behind in the playbook, he has 5 months on anyone else brought in.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with Johnson. Skelton doesn't seem like he gives a **** on the field or off. He can't learn a playbook in five months?

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the "added factor" Johnson brings he should be the #2 unless Skelton shows he is CLEARLY better as a passer the next 2 preseason games.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Back-up QB Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Yates is still on the Texans.

Yup, you're right 'J', he's listed as a free agent on NFL.com. What the hell do they know ?
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust Josh Johnson, at least Skelton has started NFL games and looked halfway competent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry but I'm kind of scratching my head right now to even hear that either guy might not make the roster. Id rather have Johnson or Skelton than any of these QB's that will get cut eventually.

Gruden wants to talk about Skelton hasnt mastered the playbook yet? Well what do you think will happen when you bring in a new guy that doesnt even know the system yet? Not good.

Johnson might not be the superior passer, but sometimes its not always about that. Its a good thing if he you got a backup QB that can be dangerous with his feet too. Just ask Colin Kaepernick. Skelton has the better experience overall, its just Johnson offers more talent and he did play under the gruden's before.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After finishing up game 3 I really do hope it is Johnson. He is inconsistent with throw, but I sure love his athleticism. I know that is an easy trap to fall into and has cost pro coaches their job, but I like him as our backup QB this year

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson playing smart and great so far. Playing very crisp

INbengalfan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:

What Johnson were you watching? His throws were all over the place, he doesn't set his feet..... I could go on and on. He can run. Yes, that's a neat wrinkle to add for a play here or there. but if Dalton goes down and we only have JJ, we might lose every game he plays despite this defense.

It still comes down to this. if you need your backup for a few plays here and there, it's Johnson. If you need the backup to play a few games or more, it's Skelton.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:

What Johnson were you watching? His throws were all over the place, he doesn't set his feet..... I could go on and on. He can run. Yes, that's a neat wrinkle to add for a play here or there. but if Dalton goes down and we only have JJ, we might lose every game he plays despite this defense.

It still comes down to this. if you need your backup for a few plays here and there, it's Johnson. If you need the backup to play a few games or more, it's Skelton.

I saw a Johnson that checked down when needed, threw the ball away rather than force passes, step up to make some great throws over the middle of the field. He struggled more towards the end of his half, but early on I thought he was great

INbengalfan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered him erratic at best. Skelton had the nicest throws by anyone in the game yesterday. He overthrew 2 of them over the middle, but had a lot of spot on throws. If you throw in the 3 pass interferences/holding yardage, he was way north of 150 yards.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
I considered him erratic at best. Skelton had the nicest throws by anyone in the game yesterday. He overthrew 2 of them over the middle, but had a lot of spot on throws. If you throw in the 3 pass interferences/holding yardage, he was way north of 150 yards.

Skelton didn't look bad and I am not dogging him. Johnson was not perfect, but I thought he made some great throws as did Skelton. In the end, I wouldn't be shocked if Skelton is named the backup, but I prefer Johnson

THE DUKE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're screwed if we have to rely on either

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: