You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How does the DL shake out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dijatool wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Bunch of moving parts would go into the players you keep or let go here. But I have said since draft day the best players being cut from this Packers club will come from the DL and still feel that way. That's a good group there by any standard.

They're so much better than the group last year that having to cut one is going to feel like the team committed a crime in doing so.

At least one "lock" has to go. I don't think it is Wilson. He has gotten better and is useful against the run. I'd like to keep Boyd. I think that Neal is at risk. The injuries and the crazy move to OLB are factors that weaken his case. He might play better for someone else anyway,
RashaanSalaami

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueswedeshoes wrote:
dijatool wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Bunch of moving parts would go into the players you keep or let go here. But I have said since draft day the best players being cut from this Packers club will come from the DL and still feel that way. That's a good group there by any standard.

They're so much better than the group last year that having to cut one is going to feel like the team committed a crime in doing so.

At least one "lock" has to go. I don't think it is Wilson. He has gotten better and is useful against the run. I'd like to keep Boyd. I think that Neal is at risk. The injuries and the crazy move to OLB are factors that weaken his case. He might play better for someone else anyway,

That's Mike Neal you're talking about?

There's no way. I would bet my bank account on that (barring injury). He has the highest potential of the group besides probably Datone. He's looked good in flashes too. Kick in his versatility and you have someone you have to keep.
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could not agree more RS. You never give away the ones that can get to the QB without good reason.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Wilson as my odd man out. Unless they just list Neal at OLB.
justo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
I got Wilson as my odd man out. Unless they just list Neal at OLB.
I would agree, but he's was a starting DL last year and he's getting those same snaps this off-season. More of a "meh, but at least you know what you got" type thing with him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that lots of folks seem to have a man crush on Mike Neal, but quite frankly, I as a fan and our coaching staff value guys that actually can make the field and are available to play. It would not make me too ill if Neal were cut. I am tired of us keeping guys because of their supposed "potential" or "high ceiling." It's all a bunch of crap if a guy cannot get on the field. They have played him in the pre-season at DE and he's been awful, especially against the run. I do not see an "experiment" with him playing OLB working out either-it's quite honestly a train wreck, and it's disingenuous to the true OLB's trying to make this team to think that this guy can play their spot. Here's Neal's stat line:

Career Stats more
Season Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF

2012 Green Bay Packers 11 1 11 8 3 4.5 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2011 Green Bay Packers 7 0 3 1 2 0.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2010 Green Bay Packers 2 0 3 3 0 1.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1

TOTAL

Special Thanks To Jordyzzz for the awesome sig!
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CactusPackFan wrote:
I know that lots of folks seem to have a man crush on Mike Neal, but quite frankly, I as a fan and our coaching staff value guys that actually can make the field and are available to play. It would not make me too ill if Neal were cut. I am tired of us keeping guys because of their supposed "potential" or "high ceiling." It's all a bunch of crap if a guy cannot get on the field. They have played him in the pre-season at DE and he's been awful, especially against the run. I do not see an "experiment" with him playing OLB working out either-it's quite honestly a train wreck, and it's disingenuous to the true OLB's trying to make this team to think that this guy can play their spot. Here's Neal's stat line:

Career Stats more
Season Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF

2012 Green Bay Packers 11 1 11 8 3 4.5 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2011 Green Bay Packers 7 0 3 1 2 0.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2010 Green Bay Packers 2 0 3 3 0 1.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1

TOTAL

1. I'm not too worried about being disingenuous to Nate Palmer, Dezman Moses, or Andy Mulumba. If those guys were so great, there wouldn't be any reason for Neal to be taking snaps at OLB. As it stands, none of them are any more proven (competent) at OLB than Neal is. Why not give him a shot?

2. How do you spend half your paragraph saying that the coaching staff places a huge emphasis on being healthy and then malign the fact that they're trying to get an oft-injured guy on the field. They either disagree with your assessment of Neal as a player or they disagree with you on the nature of holding onto unproven players. Either way your appeal to authority argument is weird.
CactusPackFan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AlexGreen: All I am saying is that the staff wants guys who can actually get on the field and contribute. I as a fan, appreciate that. Neal has dressed for 20 games in three years. That's not what you draft a guy that high to do. Also, he has not shown much this pre-season on the DL at all and he's been by his own standards, healthy. While some on this forum think he is a lock to make the team on DL or somehow think he can make it at OLB, I do not. Making him an experiment at OLB is also taking reps from other players. Personally, I like Malumba and Mozes. Both raw, but I think they have shown some nice things in the pre-season.

Special Thanks To Jordyzzz for the awesome sig!
RashaanSalaami

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moses has shown very little this year. Neal certainly has not been 'awful' when on the field, especially against the run. I don't know where you get this nonsense. It's as if you're making things up. Even last year he was a solid contributor when healthy. I understand your concern about health, but with our depth this year, we can more afford to take the risk this year thank we have been in the past. No shot Neal's getting cut. He has too much versatility and that's something this staff values as much as anything.
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickett, Wilson, and Jolly.

Do we really keep three guys who offer very little in pass rush?

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Neal had 4.5 sacks at DE in 11 games for us last year. He was easily our best pass rusher on the interior line last year.

If Neal is healthy, he's a member of our 53 man roster without question. It's crazy talk to think he'd get cut.

El ramster on the custom sig!
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:

Yes, and I wouldn't say Jolly offers very little pass rush. Just pushing the pile and getting his hands up he's a good guy to have in there
Blank402

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:

Considering the problems we've had stopping the run (mostly AD last year) and having someone to take some snaps off of Raji, I'd say yes.
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
wgbeethree wrote:

Yes, and I wouldn't say Jolly offers very little pass rush. Just pushing the pile and getting his hands up he's a good guy to have in there

That's always been something I found "funny" about Jolly. He's so bad at getting to the quarterback that it works for him. If you are close to the qb you are too busy trying to get there to throw up your hands. Jolly gets JUST enough push that he is in passing lanes but not close enough to be thinking about the sack. Its an almost perfect combination.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
justo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:

Well, we've always been two deep at NT, so Pickett and Jolly/Miller are virtual locks to make the roster, IMO. Without knowing how Jerel Worthy is going to play like in 2013, I'd say all three have to make the roster.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: