Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How does the DL shake out?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squire12

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: How does the DL shake out? Reply with quote

Been going over this the last few days trying to see how the DL positions will shake out. History of the roster makeup in the TT era is they tend to keep only 6 typically.

Raji, Pickett, Wilson, Neal, Jones, Jolly, Daniels, Boyd, Miller, Pena, Worthy

Worthy is destined for PUP as he has not yet practiced and it makes little sense to push that in the next 2 weeks and hasten the need to make a decision on a roster spot on the 53 or IR when the PUP buys another 6-9 weeks and is insurance if any injuries occur.
Miller and Pena are likely on the outside and certainly could be PS if not claimed after cutdowns.

Then it gets real tough. There is 8 "deserving" but 6-7 is the number that fits (typically). I think Wilson has the harder uphill climb as what he does well, is not as good at what others do well. Neal being counted as an OLB could clear things up, but someone still likely has to go.

Boyd likely does not make it through waivers to get back to the PS. The rest are certainly deserving of a spot.

If TT could swing a trade, then things get easier, but who and for what?
Pickett? Not sure many teams would give up much for the age and contract with little pass rush provided.

The rest I just can't see TT dealing unless someone makes the offer you cant refuse.

Should be an interesting next 2 weeks for sure.
Cheesehead430

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raji, Datone, Pickett, Daniels, Jolly, Wilson, Neal, Boyd Worthy(PUP)

In Order
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
Frank-O

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheesehead430 wrote:
Raji, Datone, Pickett, Daniels, Jolly, Wilson, Neal, Boyd Worthy(PUP)

In Order

This. I would like to see Raji and Pickett spell each other at NT and get guys like Datone Jones, Daniels, Jolly and Neal playing the DE positions. I love the way our rotation is looking and it really bodes well for the first game of the year vs. the 9ers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see them taking eight DL or seven and classifying Neal as an OLB with Raji and Pickett at NT, and Jones, Jolly, Wilson, Daniels, and Boyd at DE.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't all of these guys, besides Pickett, still on rookie contracts as well? Raji and Neal are on contract years, and I think Wilson and Jolly are as well (but I'm not sure).

I'd be shocked if Raji, Jones or Pickett is not on this team. I can see the team moving on from any the others.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, just thinking in the open here...

Worthy goes on PUP. Are we actively shopping DL until the trade deadline? If none of them get hurt, do we IR a possibly healthy Worthy and take advantage of the system? Or do we cut a decent player mid-season?

The problem with DL depth is that most of the time only 2-3 of them will be on the field for this team. That body type doesn't offer very good kick coverage. Can we justify cutting a better ST WR or LB for a player that likely doesn't see the field?

Are guys like Boyd, Daniels and Wilson THAT good that we cannot replace them in next year's draft or possibly Miller/Pena from the practice squad?

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
squire12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Also, just thinking in the open here...

Worthy goes on PUP. Are we actively shopping DL until the trade deadline? If none of them get hurt, do we IR a possibly healthy Worthy and take advantage of the system? Or do we cut a decent player mid-season?

The problem with DL depth is that most of the time only 2-3 of them will be on the field for this team. That body type doesn't offer very good kick coverage. Can we justify cutting a better ST WR or LB for a player that likely doesn't see the field?

Are guys like Boyd, Daniels and Wilson THAT good that we cannot replace them in next year's draft or possibly Miller/Pena from the practice squad?

Regarding the ST units, I think Daniels and Jones, even Neal have the ability to play those as they only carry 275-300#. I think the Worthy injury was more of the full ACL reconstruction and him getting back this year was never very realistic (though some thought that was very much the case), so him starting on PUP and transitioning to IR is more likely.
Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have absolutely no problem keeping 8. you will not hear a word of complaining from me there.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say you take a huge chance here- neither Harrell or Young are showing they are going to be good developmental QBs. Coleman has shown improvement and has the physical make up.

Go with Coleman as the back up and cut the other 2- only go with 2 QBs on the 53 this year and keep an extra dlineman. Boyd is not going to clear waivers for the PS, so keep him.
squire12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
I say you take a huge chance here- neither Harrell or Young are showing they are going to be good developmental QBs. Coleman has shown improvement and has the physical make up.

Go with Coleman as the back up and cut the other 2- only go with 2 QBs on the 53 this year and keep an extra dlineman. Boyd is not going to clear waivers for the PS, so keep him.

They only keep 2 QB on the 53 anyways. Still think there is a numbers issue at DL.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:

They only keep 2 QB on the 53 anyways. Still think there is a numbers issue at DL.

We shall see, I hope they stick with 2 only. If worse comes to worse, you can still pick up someone in season if the unthinkable happens and they are playing for a DP.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
squire12 wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:

We shall see, I hope they stick with 2 only. If worse comes to worse, you can still pick up someone in season if the unthinkable happens and they are playing for a DP.

I think we expose Coleman to waivers and hope he signs to our PS again.

It is a good problem to have, but there are diminishing returns on keeping extra linemen.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

jmoney

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it

Raji
Pickett
Wilson
Jones
Jolly
Neal
Daniels
Boyd

It really comes down to those 8 guys. Worthy will start on the PUP.

If they can keep all 8, that's awesome. If one needs to go, I think they have to look Wilson. If Jolly really does come on strong, Wilson's value as a run-stuffer goes way down because Pickett, Jolly, and Raji will all be above him in that respect.

Boyd's young, but I think he can provide some of the same value as Wilson does as well.
SDN40

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

It is a good problem to have, but there are diminishing returns on keeping extra linemen.

Not when 5 of them are in their last contract year and 2 are injury risks and one is fighting an addiction and one is pretty old. Did I miss anything Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My locks for the D-Line thus far are Raji, Jones, Daniels, Pickett, Neal, and Jolly

Between Wilson and Boyd at this point. Could we trade Wilson? Honestly people rave about his run stuffing ablity, but we have tons of depth at the position he's expendable. Honestly I wouldn't mind him keeping Wilson over Boyd, but it's hard to believe they put him on the PS at the value they got him in the draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: