Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Head Coach Candidates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your Head Coach Choice
Jay Gruden
29%
 29%  [ 22 ]
Mike Zimmer
38%
 38%  [ 29 ]
Darrell Bevell
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Greg Roman
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Dan Quinn
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Todd Bowles
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Ray Horton
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
Adam Gase
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Jack Del Rio
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Sean McDermott
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Other (Specify)
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 75

Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the talk of college coaches with NFL experience, why doesn't Jim Mora Jr get more mention? Is he a case of being better suited for the college game?

He's obviously got connections with two guys who could be Vikings targets: Hundley and Barr.
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Mora Jr is a pompous jackwagon...and isn't a very good head coach to begin with. The Falcons got worse the longer he was there and the Seahawks were absolutely atrocious in the only year he was HC there.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id pass on Mora as well, nothing about him interests me and his constant failures has proven he really isnt cut out for the NFL.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus Malzahn please
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Lebeau.

Also, who trusts Spielman to draft the next Viking franchise QB? why might be a better question, looking at how he left Miami and how the purple are rolling.

edit: Dang, Lebeau is 76....I'll give it more thought.

Hmmn, well, Darrell Bevell will be a hot candidate next year. seems to have developed a 3rd round qb just fine. Unless you think Russell WIlson was a can't-miss prospect. Ken Wizenhunt, provided we have a GM who can tell him who the starting QB is, lol. Maybe Josh McDaniels now that he has a few years of humility and we could deny him GM powers. Lots of great coaches failed in their first outing.

Last edited by Purple Faithful on Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell Wilson looks like a typical game manager at this point in his career. I wouldnt trust Bevell as being one who can develop a QB considering how he never did in MN. I still like Bevell but there are a few more coaches id consider before him.
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Russell Wilson looks like a typical game manager at this point in his career. I wouldnt trust Bevell as being one who can develop a QB considering how he never did in MN. I still like Bevell but there are a few more coaches id consider before him.
I'd take that kind of game manager. Cough *tarkenton* cough. ANyway, Bevell knows the WCO well, can coach nfl offense. Unlike Chip Kelly or some other college guy. What about Josh McDaniels? Think he's had a big enough helping of humble pie yet? Ken Wizenhunt has fixed Rivers, he could fix freeman-assuming freeman is an nfl qb.
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Klomp wrote:
milanb wrote:
There are some gaping holes on this team talent-wise, especially on defence, and that falls on Rick Spielman. And let's not forget that the whole QB mess is his doing too.

First of all, there have been gaping holes for a long time, since before Spielman took over as GM (yes, I'm only talking about him since being named GM). First of all, this team came within 12 men in the huddle from a field goal try for a super bowl.

Do you remember Remi Ayodele? Cedric Griffin? Anthony Herrera? Husain Abdullah? Michael Jenkins? Those guys were starters on this team two seasons ago. Spielman came to the vikes after those guys? REALLY?

We have so much more talent on this team than we had two seasons ago. Rome wasn't built overnight, and you can't expect Spielman to build up the entire roster in just two offseasons. and he has failed. maybe the roster just needed better leadership, better picks. Like recognizing the need to trade up for dez Bryant or selecting demarius Thomas.

That being said, we need to keep building. And we need a coaching staff to put that improved talent in a position to succeed. Improved based on what? drafting new guys doesn't mean u r automatically better. 2009 looms large

Can you say with 100% certainty that Ponder was his fault? He wasn't in charge, so I'm not sure how you can. He was in the organization, but that doesn't mean he made the call. lol, who else?

Spielman has been either GM or VP Player Personnel for seven years now. At what point does the overall lack of talent become his fault?

It's all well and good to say that the team was terrible two years ago, but Spielman was part of the reason they were terrible.

And yes, I can say with near certainty that the Ponder fiasco was Spielman's fault. Not just the decision to use the 12th overall pick on him, but also the decision to go into 2013 with Ponder and Cassel as the only two options at QB.

This year's draft too. Cordarelle Patterson may yet turn into a star WR, but he was a luxury pick on a team that had a lot of holes to fill on the defensive side of the ball.
Yeah, I am amazed at the pass given Spielman. How do you ignore what spielman did at QB in Miami? Lots of secondary picks, horrible secondary as well. lots of wr picks. lots of o-line picks. And waaay too few QB picks, once you go Ponder. Seattle Flynn/Wilson, wash RG3/cousins, smith/manning try/kaepernick, favre/Rodgers- but we have ponder, so we're good. unbelievable.
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I do not think this name has been mentioned. What about Bob Sutton? He's done a great job as a DC. Jets, KC, was a HC for Army.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean McDermott is a guy I think will get a gig this offseason or in the near future. Great article I read the other day:

Quote:
Hardy referred to McDermott as the "offensive coordinator of the No. 3 defense in the NFL," an apt description because offensive coordinators typically are given more credit for calling plays and designing schemes.

But McDermott has been important in putting it all together. In under three years he has taken the Panthers (2-3) from 28th in total defense to 10th last season to third this year (allowing 299.2 yards a game) -- their highest ranking in total defense since the 2002 team finished the season second. The Panthers also are second in scoring defense (13.6 PPG), fourth in red zone touchdown percentage (36.4 percent) and fifth in takeaways per game (2.2).

McDermott, with some help from head coach Ron Rivera, himself a former defensive coordinator, is developing his own style. Rivera calls him "intelligently aggressive."

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/1321/mcdermott-is-master-of-carolina-d

Maxx Williams For Mackey
Bodysuit Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think we need a guy with HC experience in the NFL. We've done a lousy job with the up and coming assistants route lately. It works for some teams but it doesn't appear to work for us. An experienced coach who knows the right kind of assistants to hire will do us more good imo and is the safer route to go.

A team or two will invariably fire a good HC because of impatience and we can scoop one up. Look at how Andy Reid, John Fox and Jeff Fisher were let go. Great coaches and they're all looking good now too. Okay, Fisher isn't setting the world on fire but give him time. Maybe Kubiak will be let go after a disappointing season. And where is Lovie Smith now?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that will be a directive from Zygi.

This team has failed twice in choosing assistant coaches to become head coaches. Moving in to a new stadium soon, I'm sure Zygi will want a name guy for Vikings fans to rally around.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I think that will be a directive from Zygi.

This team has failed twice in choosing assistant coaches to become head coaches. Moving in to a new stadium soon, I'm sure Zygi will want a name guy for Vikings fans to rally around.

Of the non-head coach candidates, Greg Roman does interest me. He is a creative offensive mind and certainly did a great job with Luck, Smith and Kaep. But you have to wonder how much of it was Harbaugh. I like the youth that Roman does add, he is 41 years old. Roman seems able to work with a variety of different QB types and the 49ers still have maintained a run heavy style of offense.

But I do agree, Spielman and Wilf seem likely to play it safe with a Lovie Smith or Jack Del Rio type hire.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one way out of left field, but someone Spielman has a history with, has previous head coaching experience, and has a history in the division:

rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Here's one way out of left field, but someone Spielman has a history with, has previous head coaching experience, and has a history in the division:

Where is he currently?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 18 of 100

Jump to: