Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Head Coach Candidates
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your Head Coach Choice
Jay Gruden
29%
 29%  [ 22 ]
Mike Zimmer
38%
 38%  [ 29 ]
Darrell Bevell
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Greg Roman
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Dan Quinn
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Todd Bowles
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Ray Horton
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
Adam Gase
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Jack Del Rio
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Sean McDermott
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Other (Specify)
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 75

Author Message
[UMN]


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 13303
Location: Desolation Row
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: 2014 Head Coach Candidates Reply with quote

As late as week 13 last year many people were calling for Frazier's head. Ponder and Frazier seemed to be leading the team down a spiral of destruction, despite Peterson's best efforts. However, that all stopped after week 13 when the team went on a great run to finish 4-0 and get into the playoffs.

Is Frazier on the hot seat? What sort of season do the Vikings need to have for Frazier to keep his job?

WEEK 3 EDIT:

After that horrific loss to the Browns, I'm changing this over to possible 2014 Head Coach candidates. Frazier is a dead man walking barring a miraculous turnaround.
_________________
From the fool’s gold mouthpiece the hollow horn,
Plays wasted words, proves to warn,
That he not busy being born is busy dying.


Last edited by [UMN] on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 46089
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 6-8 wins. I think he is guaranteed to be here next year, barring a complete disaster of a season. MN has too much talent to have a 2011 like season.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HighHopes


Moderator
Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 26777
Location: Courtroom
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think atleast 3 wins and he is on the team next year, but something that low will put him one step away from finding a new job.
_________________

XBL/PSN: Chainedsniper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Krauser


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 1156
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question. I think Frazier's safe as long as the team maintains its discipline and intensity, even if somehow that translates into a bad record. There are a few ways the Vikings could be a 5-6 win team that wouldn't reflect badly on the coach.

Going upstairs, I think Spielman is safe no matter what. The last 3 drafts have been very good, even if Ponder hasn't panned out yet. I think there'll be some heat on him if (when) Harvin comes back and starts tearing it up in Seattle, unless Jennings can establish himself as a true #1 receiver (doesn't look great so far) and Patterson can contribute to the offense. But even a 6-10 season probably leads to Spielman being left in charge of continuing the rebuild.

In terms of the coaching staff, I think Musgrave is the one on the hot seat with Ponder this year. If the passing offense struggles, and the team is losing games, he could even be replaced midseason. He's had a bad track record dealing with adversity before, quit on one his earlier jobs as an OC. Obviously there'd be a lot of heat on Ponder in that scenario too, but it would be easier to replace the OC (at least as a playcaller, keeping mostly the same system intact) and give Ponder yet another chance than expect Cassel to carry the team. At the very least a failure to develop a better pass offense probably leads to a new OC in 2014 along with a rookie QB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Purplexing


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 4395
Location: Outside Valhalla, looking in.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why there is pessimism about the record this year. I expect at least .500, but perhaps 10 wins is optimistic.

That said, the specific events throughout the season will be almost as important as the W-L record. A few key starters being lost to injury might enable Frazier to survive with a bad record, such as 4-12 or 5-11.

Much of the fate of the 2013 Vikings rests on the QB, the new DBs, and new LBs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 46089
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
I'm not sure why there is pessimism about the record this year. I expect at least .500, but perhaps 10 wins is optimistic.

That said, the specific events throughout the season will be almost as important as the W-L record. A few key starters being lost to injury might enable Frazier to survive with a bad record, such as 4-12 or 5-11.

Much of the fate of the 2013 Vikings rests on the QB, the new DBs, and new LBs.


The general sentiment outside Valhalla is that Peterson and Walsh had record setting years and will be unable to repeat, therefore, the Vikes are mostly doomed to mediocre play at best. Further, no improvements will be made around Peterson and Walsh to pick up the slack. Its going to be a long year, we're toast. Lets pack it up.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Purplexing


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 4395
Location: Outside Valhalla, looking in.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Purplexing wrote:
I'm not sure why there is pessimism about the record this year. I expect at least .500, but perhaps 10 wins is optimistic.

That said, the specific events throughout the season will be almost as important as the W-L record. A few key starters being lost to injury might enable Frazier to survive with a bad record, such as 4-12 or 5-11.

Much of the fate of the 2013 Vikings rests on the QB, the new DBs, and new LBs.


The general sentiment outside Valhalla is that Peterson and Walsh had record setting years and will be unable to repeat, therefore, the Vikes are mostly doomed to mediocre play at best. Further, no improvements will be made around Peterson and Walsh to pick up the slack. Its going to be a long year, we're toast. Lets pack it up.


I agree that a drop off in performance by Walsh and AP is likely. But I don't think it means two less wins. There will be continuity on the OL and in RBs and TEs, which should help focus on improving the passing game and hopefully the play-calling. Draw or slight deterioration - from AP likely to fall short of 2000 yds. and several new, unfamiliar WRs.

The D is also mixed; lost Winfield and Brinkley, gained Rhodes, gained Floyd, kept almost everyone else. Got a few promising rookie LBs and Bishop. Draw.

So, IMO, any slide backward is likely to be small.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SemperFeist


Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 624
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Frazier is more connected to Ponder than Spielman. The Vikings need Ponder to do well if they are going to have a successful season. If Ponder struggles, the team will do poorly, and if the team does poorly, Frazier will not be resigned. Frazier needs to win 9-10 games and be pushing for a playoff spot. Frazier has had one good year and one disastrous year, if he follows a good year with another poor year and regresses, then there is no point in keeping him around.
_________________
"Building a great team isn't about having the best players, it's about having the right players."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
[UMN]


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 13303
Location: Desolation Row
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Frazier has had one good year and one disastrous year, if he follows a good year with another poor year and regresses, then there is no point in keeping him around.

There is nothing as fickle as a football fan. For the majority of last year Vikings fans were up in arms about how terrible the coaching was. It wasn't until AP had a historic run (no pun intended) and carried the team to the playoffs did the anti-Frazier/Ponder talk settle down.

I imagine if things start going south early in the season the memories of 2011 and weeks 1-13 of last year will start coming back pretty quick.
_________________
From the fool’s gold mouthpiece the hollow horn,
Plays wasted words, proves to warn,
That he not busy being born is busy dying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PrplChilPill


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 8794
Location: SLP, MN
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm closer to a Frazeir believer than I was, but I'm just not convinced running and playing soft defense with your CBs is the way to win. I guess we'll see what happens this year.

I agree, though I have no idea why, that Frazier is more at risk than Spielman.

I think they need 7 or 8 wins, minimum, for him to be SAFE.
_________________
Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 46089
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
I'm closer to a Frazeir believer than I was, but I'm just not convinced running and playing soft defense with your CBs is the way to win. I guess we'll see what happens this year.

I agree, though I have no idea why, that Frazier is more at risk than Spielman.

I think they need 7 or 8 wins, minimum, for him to be SAFE.


The Vikings drafted Rhodes for the purpose of running more press coverage and less off zone coverage that we are used too. Alan Williams will be likely running a defense that is more aggressive then we have seen in years. You don't draft a press cb if you still want to remain a zone heavy team.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PrplChilPill


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 8794
Location: SLP, MN
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

The Vikings drafted Rhodes for the purpose of running more press coverage and less off zone coverage that we are used too. Alan Williams will be likely running a defense that is more aggressive then we have seen in years. You don't draft a press cb if you still want to remain a zone heavy team.


Hence the "I guess we'll see what happens this year" part of my statement. Let's see if they really change before we assume they will change.
_________________
Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 46089
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

The Vikings drafted Rhodes for the purpose of running more press coverage and less off zone coverage that we are used too. Alan Williams will be likely running a defense that is more aggressive then we have seen in years. You don't draft a press cb if you still want to remain a zone heavy team.


Hence the "I guess we'll see what happens this year" part of my statement. Let's see if they really change before we assume they will change.


I would assume change to occur, why would they spend a first rd pick on a cb that most considered a poor zone coverage cb if they weren't moving away from heavy zone. Cook is also at his best in press coverage.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 13292
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said from the range of 6-8 wins, allthough I feel like this team right now is more so 8-11 wins with no injuries or extremely poor play from anyone (Ponder).

Frazier should be safe. He's still growing as a coach, but it just seems like the players really like him. They believe in him and want to play for him. If everyone just does their job, he'll be fine.
_________________

Bright and Happy days are coming to the Minnesota Vikings very soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
tickleMEpurple


Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 269
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think frazier gets 3 full seasons before he is put on the hot seat. I think as long as there isn't a complete collapse, I see them keeping Frazier. I voted for option 2.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 1 of 100

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group